Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 11-07-2011, 01:15 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biffins [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
My conclusion was not that aliens and spaceships don't exist. But there's no evidence in this thread which shows that they do, unless we are operating on the assumption that art is to be taken literally and contains no iconography - and that we disregard the time period in which it was painted and the way in which certain ideas were commonly expressed by artists of the day.
It just seems a bit odd to explain some of the more obvious references in art as iconography. It's no less odd than explaining them as UFOs (because why would they add them like that) but I don't dismiss either explanation.

I like to take the larger body of references as a whole, from the various hindu references to the biblical references to the strange paintings and even stranger ancient cave paintings, and the strangest of all, the Nazca lines. All of them together are enough to keep me questioning, and my Trekkie side has every reason to keep hope alive [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 11-07-2011, 02:08 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by guineapig [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I've always been kind of fascinated about the Nuremberg event back in 1561:

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

The main reason is because, unlike those paintings that have nothing to do with UFO's supposedly featuring them, in this woodcut the artist is actually attempting to show what hundreds of people witnessed.

(And yes, it looks like a really bad acid trip, but if mass ergot poisoning is the only explanation detractors can give then I ask you how a drug/poison can give the same exact delusion to countless people all over a city.)

One word:

Mushrooms.

it's like you make the atomic bomb (server) and you don't want to let other countries (guilds) have nuclear secrets (under the radar information). it's gm's business and no one else's or else everyone gets nuked. letting Iran or North Korea beta test and keep the successful nukes, makes other countries uncomfortable.
Old 11-08-2011, 09:06 AM
Aviak

I believe in aliens. Do I believe they come to earth? I have no basis for belief that there is an advanced civilization capable of doing so. I believe in UFOs. I believe in USOs. I don't know if any of the UFO or USO anyone might see is terrestrial or extraterrestrial. But I do like this thread. UFOs in art, pretty cool, even if through explanation people try to identify them. I like the mystery of it all

Check out FatMagic's EQLite. It'll cut your P99 install down to 1.4gb
Old 11-08-2011, 10:27 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goobles [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
One word:

Mushrooms.
I already said ergot... much more likely than everyone eating the same batch of shrooms.
Closed Thread