Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 04-30-2012, 04:04 PM
Large Rat

Default This server is very amazing and yet very disappointing at the same time

I like the idea of this server and it seems very polished. There is a decent enough player base, the website / forum is great, the wiki is fantastic, and the overall quality is spectacular for a free server.

But why not allow more than one character (box) at a time? It's a PVE server after all... I don't see how that would negatively impact anyone's experience... on the contrary it would actually allow people to level up faster, create their own group if they can't find one, and see much of the content of this game either solo or with a friend.

I used to play on the Vallon/Tallon Zek PVP server on EQEmu where they allowed up to two characters at once per player. Me and a friend of mine grouped up and our party of 4 got us to level 50 relatively quickly and we were able to see much of the game's content from 1- 50 just by ourselves. It was a great deal of fun. We would have played it much longer but the PVP aspect of that server really ruined the experience as it attracted a lot of douchey / elitist players.

I thought about coming back and trying EQEmu again and Project1999 seemed like the best option... until I read that you guys don't allow more than one box at a time. WHY!?!?!?!

I rolled a Necromancer and decided to give it a shot anyways, figuring that maybe there wasn't a lot of need to run multiple characters to level up easily. It didn't take long to notice that the exp rates are horrendous. It took 15-20 minutes to grind up to level 2 and after measuring the exp rates a little more closely I estimated that it would take another 1-2 hours and about 120 blue skeleton kills before I would get to level 3.

This is absurd!

We're all drawn here because we want to relive the classic EQ experience, but I think that experience has more to do with the harsh death penalty, lack of maps, lack of compass, etc... not so much the horrendous grind.

I by no means advocate killing 3 mobs and gaining 5 levels or anything like that, but not everyone has the time to dedicate countless hours every week to killing mobs just to level up on this server. I also don't always have time to find and organize groups either and it doesn't seem like you can do much on your own on this server since you are only allowed to play one character at a time.
Old 04-30-2012, 04:08 PM
Aviak

if u wanna 2box go elsewhere fag

Forum Suspension for Trolling
Last edited by Rogean; 05-01-2012 at 10:13 AM..
Old 04-30-2012, 04:10 PM
Large Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by CallnOutTheNubs [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
if u wanna 2box go elsewhere fag
Heh... so much for the "mature" community this server tries to portray...
Old 04-30-2012, 04:11 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyBanana [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I like the idea of this server and it seems very polished. There is a decent enough player base, the website / forum is great, the wiki is fantastic, and the overall quality is spectacular for a free server.

But why not allow more than one character (box) at a time? It's a PVE server after all... I don't see how that would negatively impact anyone's experience... on the contrary it would actually allow people to level up faster, create their own group if they can't find one, and see much of the content of this game either solo or with a friend.

I used to play on the Vallon/Tallon Zek PVP server on EQEmu where they allowed up to two characters at once per player. Me and a friend of mine grouped up and our party of 4 got us to level 50 relatively quickly and we were able to see much of the game's content from 1- 50 just by ourselves. It was a great deal of fun. We would have played it much longer but the PVP aspect of that server really ruined the experience as it attracted a lot of douchey / elitist players.

I thought about coming back and trying EQEmu again and Project1999 seemed like the best option... until I read that you guys don't allow more than one box at a time. WHY!?!?!?!

I rolled a Necromancer and decided to give it a shot anyways, figuring that maybe there wasn't a lot of need to run multiple characters to level up easily. It didn't take long to notice that the exp rates are horrendous. It took 15-20 minutes to grind up to level 2 and after measuring the exp rates a little more closely I estimated that it would take another 1-2 hours and about 120 blue skeleton kills before I would get to level 3.

This is absurd!

We're all drawn here because we want to relive the classic EQ experience, but I think that experience has more to do with the harsh death penalty, lack of maps, lack of compass, etc... not so much the horrendous grind.

I by no means advocate killing 3 mobs and gaining 5 levels or anything like that, but not everyone has the time to dedicate countless hours every week to killing mobs just to level up on this server. I also don't always have time to find and organize groups either and it doesn't seem like you can do much on your own on this server since you are only allowed to play one character at a time.
The "grind" as you put it, is part of how it was. The key is in appreciating the journey, not postponing enjoyment until you reach some plateau.

As for the ban on 2 boxing, it promotes grouping. Back in the day there was less two boxing because it demanded a sophisticatin from players and equipment that only existed as an exception to the norm. Nowadays, people are more technically sophisticated and their rigs can handle multiboxing with no problem. Ergo to approximate classicness, which is the theme of the server, a ban on two boxing had to be enacted. (This paragraph represents my own thinking on the matter. I am not sure if this encompasses the actual reason(s))
Old 04-30-2012, 04:12 PM
Fire Giant

you keep saying solo and by yourself. This is an MMO the whole point is for you to have to interact with other people. If boxing was allowed, all the hermits would horde camps to themselves and the current anti social behaviors of other MMO's would start lurking in our world. NO thanks..
Old 04-30-2012, 04:13 PM
Banned

The one-player model is without a doubt the reason why P99 is the number one Everquest server. It promotes the social aspects of the game, and without that, you have no original EQ. There are lots of other servers that allow boxing. None are even 1/4 the real population of P99. Starting to get the picture?

The experience rate is very close to what it was Classically. Again, without this, you have people leveling up very quickly and becoming bored. The server is already top-heavy enough as it is. Classic experience rates are needed to promote grouping at all levels. Everquest is Everquest because you feel a very real sense of accomplishment when you do succeed despite heavy odds and time against you.

If you're actually complaining about experience at level 1, I suggest you find a more instant gratification game such as World of Warcraft. Oh wait, you're here for a Classic EQ experience? Then why don't you just keep trying and see what happens.
Old 04-30-2012, 04:13 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyBanana [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

This is absurd!

This server's goal is recreate classic to the T and nothing less.
Old 04-30-2012, 04:14 PM
Fire Giant

Another detrimental effect of two-boxing is being able to monopolize camps. i.e. crypt, fungi king, and other high end camps.
Fire Giant

In defense of the OP, I wish I could two box sometimes too. Just like I wish I could eat an entire package of oreos in one sitting. I want to do it, but I know it would be bad for me.
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silentone [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
you keep saying solo and by yourself. This is an MMO the whole point is for you to have to interact with other people. If boxing was allowed, all the hermits would horde camps to themselves and the current anti social behaviors of other MMO's would start lurking in our world. NO thanks..
+1 i just didnt care enough to explain
Closed Thread