Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Casters

Closed Thread

Old 08-11-2015, 01:41 PM
Orc

Don't agonize too much over the stat choices. Gear is flexible enough to offer you lots of options.

For example, let's say that you pick the Dark elf and go 25 int/str. Yes, you will hit the int cap more easily. However, that means you can totally drop certain slots from having gear with any int on them at all and instead pick up more hp/mana items.

Rings: Velium fire wedding rings, 6ac/65 hp
Neck: Velium black sapphire neck, 65/hp/65mana
Ears: Gold black sapphire earrings, 25hp/35mana

And so on, and so on. The value for wizard STA points at 60 is so low that I'd bet you can pick up more HP from raw HP items than you can from dumping 25 STA into your character creation.
Old 08-11-2015, 02:13 PM
Planar Protector

I don't necessarily agree with allocating stats just based on whether you can hit the hard cap with sick gear, especially if it's your first toon. Let's say you roll 25 sta instead of 25 int, for the vast majority of your characters life you'll have a sizably smaller mana pool for negligible hp gains. Hell most wizards won't even hit the hard cap even with 25 int. The only time I'd go 25sta instead is if I'm a total neck beard and I know I'm gonna get bis everything in whatever the top raiding guild is, and this choice is even easier if you already have a few 60s and you're paying for pl. Stamina returns on a wizard are terrible, especially when you compare what your max hp will be with cleric buffs.
Old 08-11-2015, 03:24 PM
Planar Protector

if you want to min max, Erudite Wizard is best. High Elf and Dark Elf also exceptable.
agnostic best for deity, sol ro not terrible choice.
wizards very useful on raids. Ice Comet OP Sunstrike OP
you will be soloing most of the time because wizards are known for sitting afk in groups
Quote:
Originally Posted by Autotune View Post
Dance puppets dance.
Old 08-11-2015, 07:28 PM
Fire Giant

At the end of the day it really doesn't matter what you do, but the 150 extra mana to your mana pool at 60 over softcap is little more than one extra Tishan's Discord. Personally I'd rather take the HP and also we are talking min/max. STA returns are low while leveling but also INT returns are also low compared to pure +mana gear. With an Erudite you have as much INT base as other races after you've allocated points.

There's many times I've lived with low HP and I always thank the extra STA and HP gear. I probably also play with lower INT than most players just barely hovering around the softcap and I put priority in HP and resists when I have any INT points over softcap. Really though you'll be fine no matter what, no matter what you allocate you'll question it at lvl 60 =P
Old 08-12-2015, 08:54 AM
Fire Giant

As a wizard, your sustained dps is determined entirely by your mana regen rate, not your maximum mana. Unless you're planning on unloading an entire mana bar on something (this can happen during some quads or during aoe groups), I'd swap some mana for hps any day of the week.

Granted I chose high elf, which is correctly identified as the worst min-max race, so take my advice with a grain of Felwithean salt.
Old 08-12-2015, 11:39 AM
Sarnak

I played a high elf wizard on live, and a DE wizard here. The difference between having hide and not is huge. I use it multiple times each day I play.
Old 08-12-2015, 01:07 PM
Orc

What are all these 60 wizards hiding from?
Old 08-12-2015, 01:24 PM
Fire Giant

Good question =) If you're on a "raid" hide is useless. If you are in a dungeon hide is convenient but still if you are somewhere dangerous you really want to get to a little safe corner somewhere. Usually you don't even have to invis in a spot where you would even consider staying for safety. If you're somewhere remotely unsafe you and your fellow adventurers will say "yeah, its not safe here, we either have to stay on top of these pops or go somewhere actually safe." You won't sit and hide, I guarantee it.

Then again most 60 Wizards on this server are parked for "raids" or playing on another toon and not camping tough nameds in dungeons. Hide is a nice racial ability but it really is non-essential. Since the nerf a while back its far less useful than it once was.
Last edited by Tuljin; 08-12-2015 at 01:28 PM..
Old 08-12-2015, 01:54 PM
Sarnak

Ever sit next to east wall in DL? It's pretty safe, until someone trains the KC guards to FV or FM. On their slow saunter back, they will aggro you if not invis or hidden. Hunting snow cougars or snow griffins? Just park yourself right in the middle of EW and hide. Immense time saver.
Old 08-12-2015, 02:34 PM
Orc

I took a look at the Magelos on the wiki, and most went the INT, STR/STA route. Members of raiding guilds seemed to tend more towards the STA. This is a tiny, probably non representative group though.

I wanted to see how easy it is to get to the INT caps, so I made a quick fantasy gear list. None of this involves raiding to my knowledge, and everything except the staff can be bought (not for a new character, though). I believe everything is also pre Velious. This is not an optimal list for anything.

Gatorscale Sleeves / 4
Molten Cloak / 4
Froglok Bonecaster's Robe / 8
Batskull Earring / 5
Ivandyr's Hoop / 6
Sheer Bone Mask / 3
Sarnak Hide Boots / 5
Velium Rose Engagement Ring / 5
Velium Rose Engagement Ring / 5
Impskin Gloves / 5
Runed Cowl / 9
Loam Encrusted Pantaloons / 3
Sapphire Platinum Necklace / 7
Sarnak Ceremonial Dagger / 3
Loam Encrusted Amice / 3
Giants Reminder String / 5
Polished Bone Bracelet / 3
Polished Bone Bracelet / 3
Staff of the Wheel / 10
Glowing Black Stone / 9

That gives a total of 106 INT. An unmodified Erudite INT of 117 puts you over the soft cap already. So, yes, the cap might be an issue. I'm just not sure if you gain more from adding the STA or having a high INT to more easily substitute items and stay around 200.

Decisions are hard.
Closed Thread