Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 03-02-2012, 02:12 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groo [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I'm very grateful for the server. But I keep seeing people referring to a "classic feel," and I can tell that many people's sense of "classic" is different than mine. For me, classic EQ was when the newbie zones and cities were still full of players. The classic experience was about more than just the game settings.
Exactly.

As I've said a million times, just trying to restore the game settings to the classic timeline does not recreate the classic Everquest experience. You have to take far more liberties and actually change things in order to recreate the classic Everquest experience.
Old 03-02-2012, 06:34 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuranthium [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Exactly.

As I've said a million times, just trying to restore the game settings to the classic timeline does not recreate the classic Everquest experience. You have to take far more liberties and actually change things in order to recreate the classic Everquest experience.
The classic experience is going to be different for most people, changing the mechanics to find some special formula so everyone experiences the original EQ the way they did back in 1999 is probably impossible.

The best that can be done is probably to recreate the mechanics the way they were back then and let the players try to recreate the experience.

Modifying stuff, giving people more options, adding something from PoP or whatever is not going to be helpful in that respect imo.
Old 03-02-2012, 03:34 PM
Fire Giant

Classic+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milo Cooper, Senior Artist, SOE
Shut up and give me my ten bucks per month, little man. My Porsche needs some performance upgrades.
Old 03-05-2012, 12:24 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danyelle [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Nope. Sure wasn't. Thanks a lot
Old 03-05-2012, 12:56 PM
Sarnak

To preface this post, I play an iksar monk, meaning one of the most severe xp pentalties (44% I believe).

I think the 4th is a very dangerous way of thinking, particularly the way it's phrased. If we just start removing the things that make this game difficult, frustrating, etc, we take out the accomplishment we feel when things go right.

That's part of it, but here's the more important part: who decides the way things should have been? The p1999 staff does. And the p1999 staff may not agree with you on the way things should have been. For example, a p1999 staff member may think it's a good idea to nerf your class. This being the social game that it is, nobody benefits when x or y class is nerfed.

I am in favor of 3, classic +. Item links, UI, and similar features don't affect the difficulty at all, just make the experience a little smoother.
Old 03-05-2012, 04:35 PM
Planar Protector

I really love how all the Classic crap is thrown around. Sony started a new game years ago called EQ. After a few months they figured out it had flaws people didin't like. Nobobdy is perfect so they had patches that fixed a lot of the flaws. And then they had expansions that added new content and fixed even more flaws, etc.

So a lot of people on here just want to have every flaw that was ever in the original release. Well fine for you. Well I don't want it like 4 expansions later was, but somethings were just stupid they did at the start. I won't get into them, but true Classic sucks at a lot of things.

I am very glad for this server and all the work the Drevs have done. But this is not 1999 anymore with a bunch of teens in their parents basement, with all the time in the world, to Poopsock anymore. Most people on here now have real lives so things have changed and so should some of the original flaws this game had and still has.

My 2 cents worth.
Old 03-05-2012, 04:51 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by webrunner5 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Well I don't want it like 4 expansions later was, but somethings were just stupid they did at the start. I won't get into them, but true Classic sucks at a lot of things.
This.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milo Cooper, Senior Artist, SOE
Shut up and give me my ten bucks per month, little man. My Porsche needs some performance upgrades.
Old 03-05-2012, 05:10 PM
Sarnak

Send a message via AIM to DOPE

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, STOP BEATING HIM!!!!
Old 03-05-2012, 06:26 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by webrunner5 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I really love how all the Classic crap is thrown around. Sony started a new game years ago called EQ. After a few months they figured out it had flaws people didin't like. Nobobdy is perfect so they had patches that fixed a lot of the flaws. And then they had expansions that added new content and fixed even more flaws, etc.

So a lot of people on here just want to have every flaw that was ever in the original release. Well fine for you. Well I don't want it like 4 expansions later was, but somethings were just stupid they did at the start. I won't get into them, but true Classic sucks at a lot of things.

I am very glad for this server and all the work the Drevs have done. But this is not 1999 anymore with a bunch of teens in their parents basement, with all the time in the world, to Poopsock anymore. Most people on here now have real lives so things have changed and so should some of the original flaws this game had and still has.

My 2 cents worth.
This is like walking into an Italian restaurant and complaining about the pasta dishes n tomato dishes. There are heaps of other emu servers for people with real lives.
Old 03-05-2012, 11:31 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ikonoclastia [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
This is like walking into an Italian restaurant and complaining about the pasta dishes n tomato dishes. There are heaps of other emu servers for people with real lives.
Aye. As much as I agree that at least half of the "Vision" was wrong, I also agree that if purpose of THIS server to be "classic", its pretty pointless to criticize it for trying to be classic. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

You can criticizes "the Vision", but I would not expect Devs to start altering the server to "fix it".
There are plenty of other servers out there, each of which tries to deliver its own vision.

It is also really not that hard to start your own server to show the world YOUR version of the Vision - a bare minimum of technical skills is required.
It only takes times and dedication. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Last edited by Kika Maslyaka; 03-05-2012 at 11:33 PM..
Closed Thread