Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 04-24-2012, 05:42 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slave [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I don't think this person has ever played Diablo 2, one of the best games ever created. Lord of Destruction was one of the Top 5 best expansions for any game ever created. I would only put Kunark and Velious on the same kind of level automatically. Diablo 1 was primitive and simplistic, more for teens. Diablo 2 was rich and strategically complex, and was for gamers.

The kind of atmosphere I saw in Diablo 3 was actually very intense and dark. That part of the game was not at all lacking. It was however laggy as hell and graphically not that intense on the (lowest) settings I used with an HD 4670, 2.5g dual core with 6gb ddr3. It will be interesting to see what they can do with that. Because that's actually our GOOD computer.
I agree with the xpac thing. LoD, Vel, Kunark as well as StarCraft BroodWars automatically in the top 5 xpac.
Old 04-24-2012, 06:42 PM
Planar Protector

I think the graphics are fine. It's not cartoony like WoW and it looks pretty good on max settings. I'm happy they went in that darker, more realistic direction.

Character classes seemed way OP though. Yes, D2's beginning of act 1 wasn't exactly difficult, but I felt seriously OP in the beta. I had the most difficulty with the barbarian vs skeleton king, just because I had to stay close to him. "Difficult" is very subjective though...in reality it was only "difficult" because I actually had to use the occasional healing potion. Wizard felt OP, demon hunter felt a bit less OP but had a fun minigun ability, witch doctor felt OP and strange (spiders, exploding toads and exploding dogs?), and monk wtfpwned everything.

Greatest thing: the stash is shared among your characters. The worst thing: there will be no offline single player mode. There are also no gems or runes, or any equivalent.

Is it worth spending $60 on this game? It feels like a watered down version of D2 with updated graphics.
Last edited by MrSparkle001; 04-24-2012 at 06:51 PM..
Old 04-24-2012, 07:01 PM
Sarnak

You have got to admit the skill animations are much more polished and satisfying than in D2. Leap attack, for example in D3 is so orgasmic to use [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 04-24-2012, 07:03 PM
Planar Protector

Ummm yes there are?

http://www.diablowiki.net/Gem

http://www.diablowiki.net/Runestones

Both of those are the d3 articles for gems and runestones. Gems are more expansive in D3 and runes are just different.

And by not being interested in CE I meant I would not be buying it for my own personal use, didn't even think about attempting to profit off it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenjitsuRZ View Post
Multiplication is used at all levels.
Old 04-24-2012, 09:07 PM
Fire Giant

I logged about 6 hours on a beta and got a monk to lvl 13, the max level on the beta. Personally, I like it A LOT. I played d1 and d2 profusely, and I am pleasantly surprised with d3.

One thing I did notice was the OPness of the monk and sorc. I played a monk and a buddy of mine did sorc, and I literally didn't need to use a single healing potion once. The two of us basically facerolled throughout the entire beta with little difficulty. It was fun to own everything, but a bit of a challenge would been nice. Also, I would be very surprised if the whole game was actually like that; people here are saying that the beta was only 1/3-1/4 of the first act so I am optimistic.

One thing I really liked was the ability to craft items and weapons. Basically you take any magic items, "salvage" them (see: disenchant for wow people) and use the leftover mats to make stuff. You have to pay the smith 2000-4000 to train him to get to a higher level, and it took about 5 training for him to gain a level. Higher levels mean better stuff obviously.

The looting system is way better. Your character can run over gold to gather it; you are not required to physically click on it. Also, I am fairly certain that everyone in the game can pick up the same item, so there isn't a mad dash to loot the boss / gold / random items.

Overall, I recommend the game if you liked d2. Granted, it's not going to be all nostalgic that a lot of people on these boards demand, but it's new and awesome and it has pretty sweet mechanics and graphics. Hit me up on Zetterbeard on there! I play a lot of SC2 too.
Old 04-24-2012, 09:23 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraftwerk [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Ummm yes there are?

http://www.diablowiki.net/Gem

http://www.diablowiki.net/Runestones

Both of those are the d3 articles for gems and runestones. Gems are more expansive in D3 and runes are just different.

And by not being interested in CE I meant I would not be buying it for my own personal use, didn't even think about attempting to profit off it.
Oh good, guess they just weren't in the beta. Never saw a socketed item, a gem or a rune.
Old 04-24-2012, 09:45 PM
Sarnak

Runes aren't actual items, they are just specific modifications for skills that unlock as you level. They are in the beta tho, so if you played it i don't know how you missed them...
Old 04-24-2012, 10:06 PM
Planar Protector

Well yeah those are called "runes" but I mean the D2 runes that modify your socketed items.
Old 04-25-2012, 01:21 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSparkle001 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Well yeah those are called "runes" but I mean the D2 runes that modify your socketed items.
Removed to make way for the console kiddies - can't have too much stuff in an inventory when all you got is a controller.
Closed Thread