Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Casters

Closed Thread

Old 04-25-2017, 06:56 PM
Fire Giant

Default HS Corpse Recovery Items and General Ench Questions

I'm making a push to try to get my Enchanter to 60 after stalling out around 56. I plan to do as much of this in Howling Stones so a few deaths are inevitable. I plan to camp a Druid out at SF ramp to carry some essentials for corpse recoveries. Am I missing anything from the list below?

Peridots
Tiny Jade Inlaid Coffins
Jade Inlaid Coffins
WC Cap

I know some people suggest keeping cheap charisma gear handy but is it really worth it especially if it is lore? I was thinking a rod for clicky and a crude stein would be nice but then I'd have the lore issue once I got to my body. Obviously destroying a crude stein isn't a huge deal but the rod isn't too cheap. I'd have to drag my body to a safe place gate out then come back in clickyless. Looking for your thoughts on this.

Also, what do most enchanters use for lull/pacify/calm and what are the advantages of each? I was told calm was the best so that is what I use. I also never see anyone use wake of tranquility. I would think AoE lull/pacify would be very helpful in some of the 4 mob rooms so you don't run into a situation where you get a crit resist on the first cast and end up with multiple harm touchers charging you. I figured with Wake even if you had 1 or 2 Crits which would be unlikely it would still be better than 4. I'm sure there is a reason I haven't seen it used though.

Finally, lvl 16 AoE mez hits 4 targets including yourself which I've experienced and it is listed on the Wiki. Fascinate doesn't list the number of targets it can hit on the wiki and I could have sworn when someone was using it last night I saw it mez more than 4 mobs. Is this an added benefit in addition to longer duration?

Thanks in advance for the help on these newbie questions.

Barlu
Old 04-25-2017, 10:56 PM
Sarnak

Coffins will do the trick. Almost always a necro down there. Peridots for the break in. Maybe a few essence emeralds if you want the necro to rez you as well.
Old 04-27-2017, 07:19 AM
Planar Protector

I always kept backup charisma gear in the bank so that I would have good calming chances when trying to get back to my body. Even just JCed stuff and whatever else you can gget that isn't lore goes a long ways to helping you not die again while trying to get your corpse. Stalking probes to get through south door (or keep key corpses near the entrance on one side or the other). Peridots definitely.

Calm is the best as far as I know. Lull is ok when you want to save mana and benefit from the faster cast+recast, but I don't think it lasts as long and I know it doesn't shrink the aggro/assist radii as much... so it's situational. The higher level spells cost a lot more and don't really help you any more cause calm already reduces aggro radius a ton. Wake in my experience just is a bad idea. Since it hits multiple targets at once, and you tend to get at least as many resists as successes when lulling higher-level NPCs, you have a pretty good chance of casting it and aggroing the entire room. With single-target spells you have a better chance overall of managing to calm 1 or 2 things before you get a crit resists, but at that point at least you don't aggro ALL of the things in the room so it is a little easier to handle. Plus I think wake only lasts several tics like pacify and such, while again, calm lasts almost 2 minutes iirc.

Not sure on fascinate. I'm not sure if I've ever cast it. I always just assumed it was the same as the lower-level spell but with more mana costs and whatnot.
Old 04-27-2017, 08:09 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barlu [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I'm making a push to try to get my Enchanter to 60 after stalling out around 56. I plan to do as much of this in Howling Stones so a few deaths are inevitable. I plan to camp a Druid out at SF ramp to carry some essentials for corpse recoveries. Am I missing anything from the list below?

Peridots
Tiny Jade Inlaid Coffins
Jade Inlaid Coffins
WC Cap
As far as exp'ing is concerned, you don't really need to summon corpse in HS. At 56, North is fairly easy to CR from as the key is dropped by zone in mobs, West corpses can be dragged from the basement up until the pit area. If anything, you can corpse keys and peridots. I never bother corpsing anything else.

One thing that will help a LOT - have the enchanter camp a 29+ cleric in north at the ramp. It will be used to res your cleric partner who in turn will res you. It's a big time saver if you plan on going at HS hardcore taking risks for optimum exp gain. I would love to hear of a similar spot for the west wing (wondering about that little cubby spot left of the pit).

Quote:
Also, what do most enchanters use for lull/pacify/calm and what are the advantages of each? I was told calm was the best so that is what I use. I also never see anyone use wake of tranquility. I would think AoE lull/pacify would be very helpful in some of the 4 mob rooms so you don't run into a situation where you get a crit resist on the first cast and end up with multiple harm touchers charging you. I figured with Wake even if you had 1 or 2 Crits which would be unlikely it would still be better than 4. I'm sure there is a reason I haven't seen it used though.
Calm is pretty much the best to use because of its very long duration.

The call of using AE calm or single target calm is actually not an easy one.
More often than not, in a situation where an AE calm seems to be an option, I find myself opting for pet pulling the bunch, AE mezzing everything and working from there. Mez simply sticks a LOT more than calm does on lvl 45+ mobs.

The problem with AE calm is that it's like you single target calm the mobs one after the other, except you don't get the luxury of starting with the lowest level ones - it adds to the chance that you'll get a crit resist EARLY in your calming process.

In a situation where I can afford getting a crit resist and aggroing the whole bunch of mobs, I might opt for AE calm - an example is pulling upper frenzy and crystal fang. It's a time saver in that particular situation. In many other situations it can be dangerous.
[/quote]

Quote:
Finally, lvl 16 AoE mez hits 4 targets including yourself which I've experienced and it is listed on the Wiki. Fascinate doesn't list the number of targets it can hit on the wiki and I could have sworn when someone was using it last night I saw it mez more than 4 mobs. Is this an added benefit in addition to longer duration?
I also don't think I EVER casted Fascination once. If it really hits more than 5 targets though, it would be very interesting.
Old 04-27-2017, 09:37 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izmael [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The call of using AE calm or single target calm is actually not an easy one.
More often than not, in a situation where an AE calm seems to be an option, I find myself opting for pet pulling the bunch, AE mezzing everything and working from there. Mez simply sticks a LOT more than calm does on lvl 45+ mobs.

The problem with AE calm is that it's like you single target calm the mobs one after the other, except you don't get the luxury of starting with the lowest level ones - it adds to the chance that you'll get a crit resist EARLY in your calming process.
Yeah, good mention on AE mez. Pulling with AE mez is totally legit, especially if you already have a pet so that you can just send it at the one thing that resists and it ends up pulling aggro or bashstunning so you have time to cast another mez or whatever.

Also re: wake of tranquility - even after you do successfully stick it on a mob or two, if you keep casting to try to get it on the next two (note you'll be fucking half mana by now cause it costs a ton), you still are rolling chances to get crit resists on the two that are lulled AND the two who aren't. Single target or AE mez are just plain safer.
Old 04-27-2017, 03:14 PM
Fire Giant

I use fascination over the 16 version because I fascination is the lower resist version and I just find that if I need to mez 4 mobs at once, I do not want anything to resist. It does go through mana quite quickly after a couple casts so if your a bit less well geared the higher mana cost may be too much.
Fauvana 54 Erudite Necromancer
Seliel 24 Erudite Rogue
Deepwalter 6 Erudite Paladin

Fauvano 40 Dark Elf Necromancer
Stoppinswords 11 Dark Elf Warrior
Old 04-27-2017, 09:02 PM
Fire Giant

Thank you all very much for the feedback! I've been enjoying my time in Howling Stones quite a bit and the exp has been great. I've got a few North Keys corpsed and a mule on the ramp with dots food and water etc.

I'm gonna sell some stuff off alts so I can get some basic charisma gear. I think a backup clicky would be extremely helpful and may go down that road as well.

Finally, I'll stick to using calm to pull. If I have a cleric duo I do just pet pull then AoE mez and back up. Works really well.
Old 04-28-2017, 04:07 AM
Fire Giant

I might be wrong but I think lull vs calm is more a matter of aggro radius (and not assist radius) I usually pull mobs close to each other with lull and never seen a mob assist. Of course when you need to pass trough mobs, calm is better cause aggro radius is alot better than lull.
Old 04-28-2017, 01:38 PM
Sarnak

Why do you need a toon parked at the SF ramp to hold your stuff? Just leave it in the bank and get it at the OT outpost (can bank through the wall).

Fascination will only hit 5 mobs like the L16 version. I usually use it when soloing in south because it's slightly less likely to get resisted. It's especially useful on those crit lull fails when you want to be certain your aoe mez is going to land on everything. After everything's mezzed and tashed I'll switch to the L16 aoe mez to save on mana.

I vastly prefer sending a charmed pet into a room of 4 non-summoning mobs over trying to lull them all and risking a crit lull fail. Once they're all on the pet, aoe mez (back pet off), followed by tash and roots. Then just reverse charm the pack, breaking charm and nuking when low hp until they're all dead.
Old 05-04-2017, 02:53 AM
Fire Giant

re: wake of tranquility, I've only found it useful in rare situations where there is a large collection of mobs in close proximity e.g. the wedding room in tofs where there around about 10 mobs together.
Closed Thread