Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Casters

Closed Thread

Old 05-04-2017, 04:33 PM
Aviak

Default New Player/Necro

Made an Iskar Necro, and I am enjoying it thus far. I was wondering if there were some things that I need to know that would help me along the way. Any tips or tricks; special drops I may be able to obtain myself, etc..

Thanks again!
Old 05-04-2017, 10:36 PM
Planar Protector

If you're brand new to EQ, there's about a thousand tips and tricks about your class and the game as a whole that will help you along the way.

1. Number 1 most important thing is to find some people in game you like to chat with and play with. A guild is great, but a friend's list is nice too. Unless you're really, really a loner, having pals to talk to and get help from and play with and stuff is the best tip you can have in EQ. And even then... I'm quite a loner in this game, but I'd still get bored out of my mind without a handful of friends I like to chat with in tells while I'm out soloing.

2. Go to the p99 wiki and read a few of the guides/articles aimed at new players and at necromancers.

https://wiki.project1999.com/Necromancer
https://wiki.project1999.com/Players:Adventure
https://wiki.project1999.com/Game_Mechanics
Old 05-05-2017, 02:22 AM
Aviak

https://wiki.project1999.com/Sesserd...Strategy_Guide
Old 05-05-2017, 07:55 AM
Fire Giant

Here is one very nice item that you can get yourself at a relatively low level:

http://wiki.project1999.com/Mirgon_Dower%27s_Head
Old 05-05-2017, 10:17 AM
Sarnak

Great thing about leveling a necro, it's one of the least gear dependent classes. Second to maybe a bard.

There's plenty of information out there on where to go and what to kill. Enjoy!
Old 05-07-2017, 12:40 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebutthat [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Great thing about leveling a necro, it's one of the least gear dependent classes.
Will second that. Lost my gear at 33 for a few days. Was completely naked and could still solo like no one's business!

With that said, be careful with your pet in tighter classic dungeons and use it to support the tank in the group so your pet isn't attacking things your group is trying to root and/or wait to fight.
You're gonna be squishy but throw out dps like no one's business

Old 05-09-2017, 04:28 PM
Banned

10 necro specific tips/tricks from Ayliket Wu'Doom

1) Numb the dead is a useful spell even at level 60 and requires no LoS to cast (useful in HS)

2) Cancel Magic also does not require LoS to cast and can be helpful when pulling (Spectres in Oasis specifically while leveling)

3) When you start getting your life transfer spells - if you leave your first buff slot open the 'recourse' dot will fill that slot, you can then dispel yourself and get free heals. It can be buggy sometimes but its a very useful trick 40-50. Above 50 just Deflux/BondOfDeath/Vexxing because its less of a pain.

4) Some of your best level 50-55 spells (specifically Rogue pet and Shadowbond) are quested in kunark by turning in other spells...Convergence/Defollation/Splurt/Thrall of Bones are all super cheap spells that you can pick up in EC for like 20pp and trade for the ****** ticket spells - Shadowbond and Minion of Shadow - they will cost you more like 500pp-1000pp if you buy from Tunnel.

5) Immediately start saving for a Circlet of Shadow (not Circlet of Shadow(s)) - you want the one with the INSTANT cast time. Its probably the most useful item for a necromancer by a mile.

6) Get Jboots ASAP

7) When you FD be sure to dismiss your pet before hand...or you're f#cked

8) When charming always keep Screaming Terror memorized so that you can stun/mez your broken pet and recharm him - the duration is perfect for this.

9) Your root spells blow a$$ until you get Paralyzing Earth at 49 - but once you get paralyzing earth its pretty much GG best root in the game.

10) in group situations take your DoTs completely off your spell bar - auto attack with pet and heal the group while draining.

Bonus Tip: Don't bother with charming unless there are green/blues mobs around - a 'hard' blue mob will break on you constantly and end up killing you. Also your self only pet haste spells work on charm pets.
Last edited by Spyder73; 05-09-2017 at 04:55 PM..
Old 05-10-2017, 04:02 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by articnv [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I'd second this. If you want to explore the game and completely immerse yourself then maybe steer clear of the leveling-part of this guide. But if you're like me and like having a map of where to go and what to do as you level then use it. It's a pretty unique body of work that Ssesserdrix created and should be recognized.

Other than that, then yeah, in terms of gear prioritize:

#1 Circlet of Shadow (not Circlet of ShadowS)
#2 Jboots
#3 the rest

Also, welcome to an awesome class! Your life in Norrath will be very self-reliant. In my experience the necro is one of the very best solo classes for levelling (at lvl 60 other classes can solo money camps better). Because you get the best mana regen buff in the game, snare, fear, powerful dots, a pet plus a wide range of utility spells like FD in particular, but also 93 % exp rez, intra-zone evacuation and a whole arsenal of undead spells like charm and lull.

Level 34 is nice because you get root for the first time plus a significant upgrade on your mana regen line. But level 49 is absolutely insane. I remember feeling that moving from 48 to 49 was like suddenly getting almost "god-mode" in a shoot 'em up game.

You get Ignite Blood which is a powerful dot, but most importantly you get:

Lich (20 mana per tick regen - for reference Clarity 2 is 11 mana per tick. This is also an upgrade over your previous mana regen which was 8 per tick... it's no joke [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.])
Bond of Death which deals a massive 80 dmg per tick as well as healing for 80 and so, while being expensive, mana wise, synergises incredibly well with your lich.
Paralyzing Earth - this will also almost feel like a cheat going from your previous root. PE frankly feels like it never breaks.
Old 05-10-2017, 08:55 AM
Aviak

I appreciate all the replies!!

Currently I am about two yellows away from 17. I have been farming sisters since level 13 and have filled my pockets up decently well. I am enjoying the class. I have been following that guide mentioned above, I just couldn't get away from the money at the sisters camp yet ��

If you see me around say hey!

Qorbix Iksar Necro
Old 05-10-2017, 06:41 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyder73 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
7) When you FD be sure to dismiss your pet before hand...or you're f#cked

Bonus Tip: Don't bother with charming unless there are green/blues mobs around - a 'hard' blue mob will break on you constantly and end up killing you. Also your self only pet haste spells work on charm pets.
I have never had a close con break "constantly" as a necro. in fact i would have to say 80% of all my charm durations go to just about max.

you can FD with your pet up and it doesn't matter... In fact if you FD with your pet out without have agro on anything your pet is not KoS. If you FD with a charmed pet the charm breaks but the monster forgets you. Unless your FD fails.
Closed Thread