Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Melee

Closed Thread

Old 10-26-2017, 08:13 AM
Planar Protector

By the way I fully expect an onslaught of ntov geared rangers posting cherry picked parses of names fights. I parse every group I'm in and your average level-and-gear-appropriate ranger will fall consistently below monk, rogue, mage pet (never mind the mage + pet), necro + summon_pet, necro charm pet, and charming enchanter.

Realistically you're looking at hovering with or right below a comparably geared warrior.
https://www.project1999.com/forums/s...43&postcount=2

Old 10-26-2017, 11:34 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troxx [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
By the way I fully expect an onslaught of ntov geared rangers posting cherry picked parses of names fights. I parse every group I'm in and your average level-and-gear-appropriate ranger will fall consistently below monk, rogue, mage pet (never mind the mage + pet), necro + summon_pet, necro charm pet, and charming enchanter.

Realistically you're looking at hovering with or right below a comparably geared warrior.
In melee yes. With bfg and epic with TS no. Don't need tov for either.
Old 10-26-2017, 12:39 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fasttimes [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
In melee yes. With bfg and epic with TS no. Don't need tov for either.
For one of those two you now need an item that is no longer available outside of paying for a MQ. Each MQ sold (or each person with one banked who stops logging in) means one less available for the duration of the rest of this server's life.
https://www.project1999.com/forums/s...43&postcount=2

Last edited by Troxx; 10-26-2017 at 12:49 PM..
Old 10-26-2017, 12:40 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troxx [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Yes but for one of those two you now need an item that is no longer available outside of a MQ.
I mean if ya gonna play a ranger start saving up.

Edit: way cheaper than torpor prob easier to find
Old 10-26-2017, 01:37 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
For one of those two you now need an item that is no longer available outside of paying for a MQ. Each MQ sold (or each person with one banked who stops logging in) means one less available for the duration of the rest of this server's life.
Yeah, but in 7 years time green is going to rollin to blue so you can server transfer an MQ to yourself :P.
Old 10-26-2017, 02:05 PM
Fire Giant

Rangers lack triple attack. This is a pretty big deal for melee dps. It is accurate to say only knights are worse melee dps.

The true strength rangers bring to a raid are buffs. Call of the Predator and Strength of Nature are huge for raid wide dps. Unfortunately, most rangers on pickup raids don’t get this.
Old 10-26-2017, 04:17 PM
Sarnak

bard's aren't melee, bards are just the god class. they can exp to 60 in a couple days naked and alone :-p

edit also: To be fair, while ranger raid dps is awful, it was far far far better in 2001.

With veeshan's peak only being fully cleared one or two times on most servers before velious came out. (half because of how few keys got made total due to simple spawn times, but also half because my raid guild wiped to trak 13 weeks in a row before we won the raid every week until velious came out. which was typical on most servers if not worse. third half being that VP was a beast to progress through back before there was any data on it on the internet.)

Before wizards had their quest lure raid nukes for dragons and giants.

First kills against things like yelinak sontalak and the warders were in the year 2001 boosted quite a lot by ranger trueshot dps.

So maybe they'll be a bit more useful if "green" happens.
Last edited by dbouya; 10-26-2017 at 04:26 PM..
Old 10-26-2017, 04:30 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbouya [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
bard's aren't melee, bards are just the god class. they can exp to 60 in a couple days naked and alone :-p

edit also: To be fair, while ranger raid dps is awful, it was far far far better in 2001.

With veeshan's peak only being fully cleared one or two times on most servers before velious came out. (half because of how few keys got made total due to simple spawn times, but also half because my raid guild wiped to trak 13 weeks in a row before we won the raid every week until velious came out. which was typical on most servers if not worse. third half being that VP was a beast to progress through back before there was any data on it on the internet.)

Before wizards had their quest lure raid nukes for dragons and giants.

First kills against things like yelinak sontalak and the warders were in the year 2001 boosted quite a lot by ranger trueshot dps.

So maybe they'll be a bit more useful if "green" happens.
Their dps isn't aweful
Old 10-26-2017, 07:27 PM
Planar Protector

I don't think Meg is wrong on any of his points.
  • A Giant/Dragon geared Ranger with a few raid drops probably tanks about equivalently to a Cobalt warrior, i.e. they will crush Kunark content defensively and they have Snare and Flame lick for effectively infinite threat. Aetholar could handle Siren's Grotto pretty well. Kael Arena might be a stretch.
  • I don't remember if Fasttimes ever beat me on Vindi with the BFG, but at any rate it's not bad. And Cecily had some good parses with the War Bow of Rallos Zek too, which allows you get out of AE range also and doesn't require legacy items.
  • Rangers have a very self sufficient spell/gear lineup. I'd certainly rather solo a Ranger to 60 than a Paladin or SK or any pure melee without a fungi.

Simply put Ranger looks like a fun and balanced class to me. The funny thing is that in Planes of Power Rangers are better than Monks at literally everything: pulls (harmony of nature), tanking (monks get ac cap raped in PoP), damage (trueshot + endless quiver), and utility (tons of spells and track).
Old 10-26-2017, 07:41 PM
Banned

couldnt find where i bfg'd with you but i can list couple as reference

/GU Derakor the Vindicator in 132s, 175k @1326dps --- A Drakkel Dire Wolf 20k @161dps --- Knapsack 16k @121dps --- Ripqozko 15k @118dps --- Idrinkk 13k @109dps --- Rikyr 12k @92dps --- Trazzle 12k @89dps --- Gatitos 11k @87dps --- Logaluger 11k @85dps --- Jenssen 10k @78dps --- Torstein 10k @75dps

/GU Derakor the Vindicator in 163s, 167k @1026dps --- Knapsack 17k @107dps --- Skew 17k @102dps --- Ripqozko 16k @99dps --- Jenssen 14k @87dps --- A Drakkel Dire Wolf 14k @105dps --- Orna 14k @86dps --- Merkk 12k @78dps --- Trazzle 11k @68dps --- Flippie 10k @64dps --- Morgant 9k @55dps

i mean its like bad rogue dps, thats not horrible considering our utility. im just saying rangers do better then people give them credit for.
Closed Thread