Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 01-16-2014, 05:59 PM
Sarnak

Default Suggested fix for re-enabling slow zoning

Its proven in several wayback machine posts that loading is a slow and arduous task. I believe that this game would be more classic, thus fun, if we force the client to slow its bitrate down to 56kbps.
Old 01-16-2014, 06:06 PM
Planar Protector

Pity reply.
Old 01-16-2014, 06:10 PM
Banned

if you can't make a sandwich and eat it by the time you're done loading it just aint classic
Old 01-16-2014, 06:14 PM
Planar Protector

I have used my ability to zone quickly on p99 to split mobs that I would not have been to split on live because of zoning times. So, I actually agree with you...

But you were prob just trolling.
Old 01-16-2014, 06:21 PM
Fire Giant

Send a message via AIM to Laugher

Quote:
Originally Posted by chu [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
if you can't make a sandwich and eat it by the time you're done loading it just aint classic
[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 01-16-2014, 06:23 PM
Sarnak

I'm not against freedom. I'm for nostalgia, which is in itself, complete and pure freedom. There was a time when you would zone and then for a blessed few minutes you were free to jerk off, go get a soda, finally respond to your parents, take the trash out, and maybe even jerk off again.

This server is very lacking in the ability to please our parents (now replaced by wives) with the sheer speediness of zoning. It represents what here, our p99 community, strives for, and wants more than anything.

So sign my petition married men, smokers, chronic bowel movementers, and classic EQers alike!
Old 01-16-2014, 07:48 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitty [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Why don't you just fucking hand over the internet to the major corporations and shit all over the Net Neutrality Act while you're at it.

Because, that's essentially what you're proposing. Limiting the transfer speeds of specific content. Do you understand how hard people have been fighting to ensure this very same thing doesn't happen?

Why do you hate freedom?
I don't understand how this post relates to P99 forcing slow load times to emulate classic.

I support this idea because the closer we get to classic the better. Pseudo-Classic sucks hard.
Old 01-16-2014, 08:10 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtnap [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I don't understand how this post relates to P99 forcing slow load times to emulate classic..
This isn't just load times, this is overall client-side bandwidth throttling of specific content. This is saying that sure, you can use Google and Youtube at 40Mbps+, but if you're specifically accessing Project 1999 you can only transfer or access data at a maximum of 56Kbps.

This means artificially inducing latency or rendering unavailable (or presenting the appearance of unavailability by means of artificial scarcity) content that exceeds the available bandwidth. On the surface, that's all well and good for pretending you're dialing in (which wasn't classic for everyone anyway) but the very concept of this proposed change is an affront to Net Neutrality.
Old 01-16-2014, 08:10 PM
Planar Protector

Every post to try and make something more classic gets a torrent of abuse. A lot of rustled jimmies out there [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 01-16-2014, 08:16 PM
Fire Giant

I think I raised a valid point, Sir Gif.