Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 11-08-2010, 11:03 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimmie [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
It doesn't hurt to clean your pans after you use them bro. You have a enough residue on there to bake another cookie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruman View Post
Hahaha, that is awesome. Right up there with...that one guy's....boat service before the boats worked.
Old 11-08-2010, 12:51 PM
Kobold

The idea behind baking the card is to get the solder to reset. This is assuming that the card has been heating up enough during daily use to eventually melt away a connection.

This really isn't a great idea, if you were going to try this, you should use a heat gun to properly heat the solder up, but then you can do even more damage unless you sufficiently isolate the issue to a small area on the board.

Personally I bet it is a video memory issue, in which case the card is pretty much FUBAR.
Old 11-08-2010, 03:51 PM
Orc

I have seen this exact thing many times. It's a bad capacitor. You can probably even see it, if you look closely at the board. One (or more) of the caps will be "swollen". You can repair this with an el cheap-o soldering iron and a $5 (or less) replacement cap.
Old 11-08-2010, 04:44 PM
Planar Protector

Those cookies do not look edible. Also it looks like they are topped with ground beef flakes and sausage.

I am skeptical...
Old 11-08-2010, 04:49 PM
Planar Protector

lol, id be sooooo worried about blowing the capacitors by tossing it in the oven. pop pop pop pop pop pop!
Old 11-08-2010, 05:02 PM
Orc

Yeah . . . that baking idea seems like a bad one.
Old 11-08-2010, 07:52 PM
Kobold

Well you did say "anything graphically intense" so you're probably still ok playing EQ [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 11-09-2010, 03:03 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizerud [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Well you did say "anything graphically intense" so you're probably still ok playing EQ [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
That's why I put "intense" in quotation marks. EQ crashes after 8 minutes or so explodes the computer as well, which is kind of sad...[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 11-09-2010, 03:19 PM
Kobold

Do you have any apps that measure whether your videocard is overheating? And I don't mean by putting it in the oven.
Old 11-09-2010, 04:56 PM
Sarnak

Send a message via AIM to toddfx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prefader [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I have seen this exact thing many times. It's a bad capacitor. You can probably even see it, if you look closely at the board. One (or more) of the caps will be "swollen". You can repair this with an el cheap-o soldering iron and a $5 (or less) replacement cap.
Yeah I've lost two cards to popped caps. They physically ripped open and had brown dust coming out. The cards were not old but they were cheaper. It's true that the computer was kept in an area with poor airflow and high dust accumulation. In one case, the on-board fan failed due to dust cloggage, which then overheated the board and popped the cap.

The cards would operate intermittently but had graphic issues very similar to these.
Closed Thread