Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 05-13-2010, 09:10 PM
Sarnak

Send a message via AIM to toddfx

I am realizing I might be confused about what "boxing" actually entitles. I was under the impression that "boxing" just means sitting behind 2+ computers (or running 2+ instances of the game) and physically controlling two characters at once.

But in this thread I keep seeing the words "bot" and "robot." Is there some kind of automated boxing system that people have worked out to have their characters move cast and fight with no human input? I don't get it. I thought that even though somebody was boxing, they were still physically controlling the characters themselves.

With that in mind, is there any separation between opinions on that? It sounds to me like most are complaining about the ROBOT factor, which I can completely understand.

But what gives if there are two characters being PHYSICALLY controlled by the same person? They are still gone to chat with you, from one of them. I guess I've just never had the experience of being around a lot of bots, or was just oblivious to it on live.

Not that it matters, especially here on page 13 of this thread, but my vote would be to allow a maximum of 2 boxed characters, with no outside hacks allowed.
Old 05-14-2010, 04:06 AM
Planar Protector

imo, the 1 character rule is the reason why this server is so popular. with 600+ ppl online its not like we need boxes anyways.

boxing would make the server "easier" to play which would draw away my interest to play on it.
Old 05-14-2010, 04:53 AM
Kobold

Actually, I think a revamp on the IP Exemption system needs to be done. A lot of these people need their IP exemptions cut out.
Old 05-14-2010, 05:11 AM
Banned

i know multiple people who have an ip exemption for there "little brother" or "spouse" who box.. weather these people play or are played by multiple people, ive seen and been bragged to that they can and do box. It happens more than you think... honestly remove all ip exmpetions 1 account per household, 90% of the exmpetions are boxed and bullshit lies. I could start rattling off names of accounts with exmpetions but they would say its for "someone else".
Old 05-14-2010, 08:55 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by siinge [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
i know multiple people who have an ip exemption for there "little brother" or "spouse" who box.. weather these people play or are played by multiple people, ive seen and been bragged to that they can and do box. It happens more than you think... honestly remove all ip exmpetions 1 account per household, 90% of the exmpetions are boxed and bullshit lies. I could start rattling off names of accounts with exmpetions but they would say its for "someone else".
I'm sure there are abuses, but I believe your 90% statistic originates from your rectum.

Of course, anyone who knows me knows that I really do play EQ with my really for real spouse, and if there wasn't a way for us to both play, neither of us would.

I'm a huge fan of the no-boxing rule, and as others have stated, it's a big reason why this is the most popular EMU server by far. The devs have done a good job with the IP exemption system, and if you are really aware of people who abuse it and use it to box, you should make the admins aware of the abusers via the appropriate feedback mechanism instead of posting inflammatory, broad-sweeping allegations here.
Old 05-14-2010, 09:15 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumamgar [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I'm sure there are abuses, but I believe your 90% statistic originates from your rectum.

Of course, anyone who knows me knows that I really do play EQ with my really for real spouse, and if there wasn't a way for us to both play, neither of us would.

I'm a huge fan of the no-boxing rule, and as others have stated, it's a big reason why this is the most popular EMU server by far. The devs have done a good job with the IP exemption system, and if you are really aware of people who abuse it and use it to box, you should make the admins aware of the abusers via the appropriate feedback mechanism instead of posting inflammatory, broad-sweeping allegations here.
Ditto. If my GF and I couldn't play together then neither of us would be playing.

And ditto. I think boxing was the ruin of the live game, more than any content decision made by the devs. What started out as a nice way to get some things done in a pinch really destroyed the game in so many ways. But don't point fingers at those of us who follow the rules as an example of those who don't. Boxing is cheating on this server, and if you are going to cheat, why would you go through the process of drawing attention to yourself by appealing for an exemption, when there are other ways around it? Get a clue before making blanket accusations simply because you feel like trolling on the forums.
Last edited by Weekapaug; 05-14-2010 at 09:18 AM..
Old 05-14-2010, 12:00 PM
Sarnak

Now back in the begining when Boxing was talked about there was what? 100 people on peak? Now we got 500+. If ya cant find a group its cause ya a bad player. I like grouping it gives me a chance to pick on people. However there are those times when i just want exp grind and no drama.

How about this ... It would be bad in our limited content to suddenly go from 500+ people on to 1000+ people on cause we all boxing. Think about it ... There be nothing left to down... Now when Kunark comes along there will be more content... So crowding should not be a issue. As it is NOW i am running to 2 or 3 zones now to find a good spot. I could not imagin finding a camp with 1000+ people on.
Soulez Taken SK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimm View Post
Not only best thread ever, but best poster ever. Going back and reading each one of this guy's 101 posts has been amazing. Its like someone gave a down syndrome child a handle of vodka and a keyboard.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeolwind View Post
Where did my underwear go?
Old 05-14-2010, 12:03 PM
Sarnak

I think it should be 1boxing, and 2boxing allowed with donation.\

Quote:
Originally Posted by redghosthunter [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
If ya cant find a group its cause ya a bad player.
this is wrong.
Old 05-14-2010, 12:39 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by redghosthunter [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Now back in the begining when Boxing was talked about there was what? 100 people on peak? Now we got 500+. If ya cant find a group its cause ya a bad player. I like grouping it gives me a chance to pick on people. However there are those times when i just want exp grind and no drama.

How about this ... It would be bad in our limited content to suddenly go from 500+ people on to 1000+ people on cause we all boxing. Think about it ... There be nothing left to down... Now when Kunark comes along there will be more content... So crowding should not be a issue. As it is NOW i am running to 2 or 3 zones now to find a good spot. I could not imagin finding a camp with 1000+ people on.
Live had 1000+ from day one. And even worse, most people were around the same levels.

So it could be a LOT worse.

I've had no problem finding stuff to do even during peak hours with 600+ on.
Old 05-14-2010, 12:43 PM
Developer

Quote:
If ya cant find a group its cause ya a bad player.
I don't like to group. You find plenty of bad players in groups.

Haynar
Closed Thread