Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 10-25-2013, 09:56 AM
Fire Giant

Default A Thread Where People Can Share Their EQLive Story

Does one of these exist? If not, I'd like to start it now.

I'd like to hear what servers you guys people started on.

What memorable players you met.

What characters you played.

What items you got and how you got them.

What you remember the most about each expansion.

What caused you to leave EQ Live? When?

How did you rediscover EQ via p99?

Basically go through and chronologically describe your entire EQ history as you remember it.

You might recall some things you'd forgotten [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

I recently started writing mine and it was quite fun.

edit01: similar thread, i'd like to hear elaborations on this type of stuff though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raavak [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Last edited by myxomatosii; 10-25-2013 at 11:02 AM..
Old 10-25-2013, 10:03 AM
Fire Giant

A Beginning: Vallon Zek
On live I started up on Vallon but never made it much past 10, played a few random named chars and enjoyed the intensity of sitting at the freeport gates at lvl 6 while lvl 5-10 dark elves and ogres would hide/invis and jump you when you tried to leave, prompting freeport to respond leading to epic battles. Really, its the first time in a game where I seriously felt like I was *in* the game, fighting to stay alive. I recall sitting around Boomba the big and on the parapets above the gates with my fellow wizards, mages, warriors, and other hopefuls setting forth strategies to rid the town of the nuisance. But that didn't last long! For I began to grow curious of what other PvP realms existed..

A Transition: Rallos Zek
Thus began my time on Rallos Zek. A young monk named Prok. Naive, some might even say stupid. Looking back now, I would most certainly say stupid. Nonetheless I began my journey, playing EQ every other weekend nonstop. With such a schedule I didn't have the capacity to maintain friends, though I tried. Autumndazed Winterhazed, one of my first friends I met in LOIO advanced beyond me quickly, each weekend I'd log in to see him head and shoulders above where he was in our prior encounters. We didn't stay in touch.

Youth: The Scam
I worked my way up, level by level, weekend by weekend. Sharing the computer with my brother who spend the entirety of his time on Tallon Zek. I began to explore Dalnir in pursuit of the elusive Crescent Armor and the fabled Fighting Baton and had reached a semi-respectable level of 32 when I received an interesting tell. A player promising wealth. Yeah, I know. I won't go into the details but by the end of the day I had to go to my brother and tell him we lost it all. Probably 8 months of progress as we played 6 days a month. We were both distraught, you know what EQ does to young kids who are addicted.. I became obsessed. Explored, scoured, read, researched. Spent all my time on the school's library computers searching for a way to re-access my account, this was long before "forgot my password" was a common link on webpages. I fought through the barricade of blocked websites and found.. nothing. Then I recall it, as clear as if it happened yesterday. What combination of search terms? What phrase I entered? I cannot know. But the page, that page, I had found it!! I attained the information the page required, entered it, waited.. loading.. loading.. bam! Your password has been reset! I go to login and.. I'm on my monk again! Three levels higher! And with.. new armor! Ecstatic doesn't even scrape the surface of what I felt as I encountered the newly recovered self. Curious, I hadn't a surname. Being named Prok I just got called "pork" a lot, and yet now I had a surname? "Prok Epikak", what is epikak? I didn't know, never bothered to look it up until years later. Doesn't matter, I had my character back! I am the mighty Prok Epikak, monk of terrible!

Coming of Age
There isn't much of note after this, I spent my time leveling and eventually attained level 54. I was bad, really bad. I went on a few raids, I saw fantastic creatures in Kael and various other outdoor zones. I never really got to explore any other dungeons, and Kael was just that one time. An overweight monk, not fully understanding of the class's mechanics and not really caring. I just enjoyed the ride. I do recall a time when I went raiding, with what guild I cannot know. Ascending Dawn? Wudan? MIM? The Curse? (lol unlikely), I believe it was Wudan, anyway as a guest to this raid I think the raid leader must've inspected me and thought making me pull would be hilarious. I go up, fully raid buffed and attempt to body pull from the Arena main area, I remember agroing him, turning around to leave, and HOLY SHIT I'M UNCONSCIOUS, FD FD FD FD FD, omg I lived. Mend. Okay 25% hp. I report to the raid that these guys hit really hard. By this time I'm certain the raid leader is laughing at loud to himself and they're really enjoying this on Vent/TS or the like. I get back up after I've regenned to 75% or so, the mobs having pathed back by then and run toward the raid, mobs in tow, I knew I had no chance of splitting these having no throwing weapons and not knowing about sneak pulling but I got the mobs close enough to the raid that another player managed to split them. This event alone actually encouraged me to make my monk here, Useful Idiot, so that one day I can pull this mob the proper way, as an intelligent player. The name of my monk is a sort of homage to a player to the Velious glory days, to (by reputation) a douchebag, jerk, and eventually exiled monk named Stynkfyst. Nonetheless I always liked his name. It was generally comedic, and a tribute to Tool. My EQ login at the time was also a tribute to Tool, so here I am, Useful Idiot. Somewhat of a homage to Stynkfyst, Tool, and if all else fails an amusing name and representation of my personality [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

At this point, Sullon Zek had been launched a few months prior as a perma-death server. Once the perma-death feature was removed and it was level unlimited PvP. I decided to check it out.

Home: Sullon Zek
I started out as a dark elf mage, eventually to become 'Master Simulated Existence', which would become my first max-level character, 65! Rallos was a dangerous server, but neutered. In an age of no drop armor gearing, item loot was null, so this new experience of no level limit range pvp, and exp loss if the player was +(4 or 8) above you, or *anyone* below you made the fight for survival intense. A group of 20s taking down a 30 was a common sight. I spent my time hiding and siccing my pet on players, a mage isn't an ideal choice for PvP but I stuck with my decisions.

I did take part a bit in the Sullon Zek raiding scene with a guild lead by a troll shadowknight named Zafer, <Anguish>. Some of our members would leave to join <Hate> now and then but I never had any prospects for that, just wanted to come along on as many raids as I had time for and be part of a group of people who liked to have fun. Being a mage my primary role was to simply hide, sic my pet, or COTH. Easy enough for me as I wasn't the greatest player at the time anyway! Eventually after 50 some AAs and a bit of raiding I decided it would be a good idea to earn some cash. On Sullon Zek I got tranix's spawn time down to a science and farmed him exclusively for months. This was in the era of Luclin so good players had better things to do, things I knew little of.

The Twink
I earned a few million over time and eventually put together my ultimate machine, a dark elf shadow knight, 'Innovative Technology'. Don't scoff too hard at dark elf, during this era starting stats were no longer a concern and I simply wanted to defeat my opponents with the smallest stature character possible for extra humiliation. After all, up until this point I'd spend 3 years dying to everyone I'd met on almost every occasion. I was bad. No longer! This character was amazing, indestructable, so many clickie toys, such a weapon. I'd often defeat players red to me outside of my range! I learned to joust! I learned what PvP was all about! This was truly my finest time in Everquest. I fought epic battles, Tantor's Tusked sitting players in an explosion of damage, and in general combated the goods and newts the best I knew how. But as always, EQs expansions pounded on, LDoN, GoD.. it was happening too quickly, too many changes. PvP was so easy to avoid in this world. So, it faded away.

An Exit
This was a few years before WoW came out (I think), and anyway. I gave my account away, moved on, and eventually joined up WoW on launch on the Shadowmoon server.

EQEmu Projects
Not long after, the EQEmu projects emerged. S2K, VZTZ, god, so many other long dead servers popped up, and eventually.. P99. I'm sick of writing at the moment but I'll edit in my story here later.
Last edited by myxomatosii; 10-25-2013 at 10:29 AM..
Old 10-25-2013, 10:12 AM
Planar Protector

Played Eci for a long time on about 8 different characters. Unfortunately I forgot the name of the most memorable guy I met in game, we were in a guild together and the guild leaders in game wife hated him. She finally raged and booted him from the guild, being an officer I would invite him again every night after she logged and the next day she would lose her shit and boot him again, was fantastic.

Left live because I just got burned out and bored of it about the time that depths of darkhollow came out. There wasn't anything specific about the game that made me quit, I had just had enough. Found P99 doing a google search for classic EQ emu servers sometime in late 2009.
Old 10-25-2013, 10:50 AM
Planar Protector

http://www.project1999.org/forums/sh...ad.php?t=12426
Old 10-25-2013, 11:02 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raavak [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Thanks! I'll be reading through that.
Old 10-25-2013, 01:07 PM
Orc

Goodness I don't even remember what server I first played on. All I remember is I loved Frogloks, got one as a wizard to around level 32. And my brother made way too much money begging people in the planes of knowledge. lol (This was all around the age of 10)
Old 10-25-2013, 01:30 PM
Planar Protector

I was a pretty lousy player on live, and most of the information I had from the game I learned from reading Allakhazam.

I played on Innoruuk and made a warrior named Portman I leveled up to 20 or so. Then I realized human warriors with bad stat allocation were pretty bad, so I made a troll warrior named Zanderr that I leveled to 24. Never got past level 24. This probably partially because I didn't have the attention span to grind at the time (I was 12 years old), and also, my parents would never let me sit down and play the game for more than 2 hours in one sitting.

I played in a UK-based guild called Stark Reality, but the only guilds that really stuck out to my from my server aside from mine were Ashen Vendetta for dominating content and Boomtastic Madness because of the name.

I actually ended up buying Velious after I bought Shadows of Luclin because I couldn't afford the expansion pack and received Luclin as a gift. So essentially, I started in Kunark and skipped straight to Luclin...which didn't really matter because I was only level 24 anyway.

I tried out the game a couple times when they would do free weeks over the years, and every once and awhile I would read a lot about the game on Allakhazam. I made a bard in 2005 named Zander that got to level 29 during a free week, but at that point, I think the game was irrelevant due to exp bonuses, veteran status, and too many expansions.

I became interested in EQClassic and followed it for awhile back in like 2007, but then it never seemed like it was getting finished. Found P99 basically out of nowhere in 2012, and this server has allowed me to experience everything I read about but never experienced on live. Honestly, the game feels completely different to me due to how little I actually knew about high-level content and zones.

In terms of playing Velious, I know little to none, so I'm excited and a bit nervous for the expansion release. On live, I ran a level 2 character to Great Divide to see how far I could get without dying, but that's about all I've done there.

Favorite zones on live were for sure East Commons, Oasis, and Lake of Ill Omen.
Old 10-25-2013, 01:48 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by zanderklocke [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I was a pretty lousy player on live, and most of the information I had from the game I learned from reading Allakhazam.

I played on Innoruuk and made a warrior named Portman I leveled up to 20 or so. Then I realized human warriors with bad stat allocation were pretty bad, so I made a troll warrior named Zanderr that I leveled to 24. Never got past level 24. This probably partially because I didn't have the attention span to grind at the time (I was 12 years old), and also, my parents would never let me sit down and play the game for more than 2 hours in one sitting.

I played in a UK-based guild called Stark Reality, but the only guilds that really stuck out to my from my server aside from mine were Ashen Vendetta for dominating content and Boomtastic Madness because of the name.

I actually ended up buying Velious after I bought Shadows of Luclin because I couldn't afford the expansion pack and received Luclin as a gift. So essentially, I started in Kunark and skipped straight to Luclin...which didn't really matter because I was only level 24 anyway.

I tried out the game a couple times when they would do free weeks over the years, and every once and awhile I would read a lot about the game on Allakhazam. I made a bard in 2005 named Zander that got to level 29 during a free week, but at that point, I think the game was irrelevant due to exp bonuses, veteran status, and too many expansions.

I became interested in EQClassic and followed it for awhile back in like 2007, but then it never seemed like it was getting finished. Found P99 basically out of nowhere in 2012, and this server has allowed me to experience everything I read about but never experienced on live. Honestly, the game feels completely different to me due to how little I actually knew about high-level content and zones.

In terms of playing Velious, I know little to none, so I'm excited and a bit nervous for the expansion release. On live, I ran a level 2 character to Great Divide to see how far I could get without dying, but that's about all I've done there.

Favorite zones on live were for sure East Commons, Oasis, and Lake of Ill Omen.
Your experience sounds similar to mine. Young, dumb, extremely limited play time, not concerned with game politics and just wanting to explore, reading in magazines and websites constantly.

I mean in some ways it was better because we played the game in our heads so much outside of game, well, I'm speaking for myself alone now but.. yeah, lots of imagination, daydreaming, and anticipation.
Old 10-25-2013, 04:30 PM
Kobold

I already shared mine on the other forum post but will copy it here too, I love getting to read about everyone's first EQ experiences! =D

I was never what you would call a "gamer"... I didn't even own a computer or console in 1999. But then I met a boy, and he had lots of video games! Being a teenager in "love", I'd sit and watch him play video games for hours. I didn't show an interest in any of them until one day I saw him playing EQ. He was running around in Kunark and I started asking questions... "Why's that cactus thing walking around? What's the deal with that bird/chicken thing?" Then he started talking about the game and I became more and more interested... He saw a spark of interest and pounced!

I begged my parents for a computer and was lucky enough to get one (I know, I know - I was spoiled and lucky). Previously mentioned boyfriend took me to Gamestop and I purchased my very own copy of EQ! I remember feeling like it took foreverrrr to install the game, then I remember being super disappointed when I realized I wait to wait even longer for it to patch. Dial up was a bitch! >.<

I made my first character which was a high elf Enchanter and played that only till about level 7. I decided to make a human Druid and that was my main until I stopped playing in 2004 to play WoW. I've played many games since EQ but nothing ever really gave me that feeling.

I can't remember exactly how I came across P99 but I knew the minute I discovered it I had to try it out! I figured it'd be pretty buggy and not many people on. I mean, what kind of nerds want to play a 14 game regularly right? ;-) I was pleasantly surprised to find nearly 1000 regular players every day! How crazy is that?!

I'll never get over that fluttering feeling in my stomach when I hear the old school EQ music, the thrill of making your first character and running around in the newbie zone, the joy of meeting people in game and building friendships. I'm proud to say I'm one of those nerds that plays a 14 year old game regularly! =D

Thank you, thank you, thank you to all of the people that work so hard to make this server what it is! You guys are awesome!
Old 10-26-2013, 02:00 AM
Decaying Skeleton

My brother got me started on Everquest. First few times I tried it I made a character, played on his account for a few weeks then quit. I think I leveled up 3-4 different characters trying it out to about level 6-8 then deleted them and quit. But then when Ruins of Kunark came out I tried it again, and it clicked.

I had made a High Elf Female Wizard named Krystallik on my brothers account on the Bertoxxulous server. Leveled in Crushbone, then moved on to LOIO, and from there to the Mountain zone I can never remember the name of (had the giants and the giant fort groups in Kunark)

Then when I got around level 30, (and close to the release of Velious) I was able to get my own account. A friend put in a petition asking about a character transfer while I was getting my account installed. The GM that answered freaked out over the fact I used my brothers account and was absolutely no help. So I made a new High Elf wizard named Krystallyk(which of course now I prefer this spelling). And transferred everything over from my old toon.

Thus began the powerleveling effort to get me back to my 30's. My friend and guild helped a good bit (was with Order of the Scattered Winds) and after not too long I was able to continue on my leveling way. Spent more time in the Mountain Zone and moved on to Dreadlands.

Was in DL for a long while, but eventually made it out, and then discovered the awesomeness known as quad kiting. So went to was it Colbat Scar? With the dragon faction mobs? and kiting those.

Eventually ended up quitting as I dinged 56. Just too much other stuff to do (and I was actually a bit addicted to the game, so kinda had to stop cold turkey to get over that)

Never got to raid much, was always just below the guild set cutoff. It was 55, but the same week I dinged 55, they upped the level req to raid with them as they were moving on to harder targets. I was able to go on a few fear runs (couple of which were trashed AoE cleared, that was fun!), a partial sky run, and a world dragon kill or two. Oh, and did get to do the Coldain Ring war event.

Don't remember much about items, I did have the Tflux staff of course, and did get a nice offhand after we killed one of the dragons in DL. (Druid got what she dropped, I got his old offhand, was a book of some form) Also the flowing thought crafted earring that came with Luclin, the guild pretty much did an assembly line style crafting of them for all who needed them. Everyone pitched in what they could.

Think I needed the golem from fear and the VS drop for epic.

I was grandmastering Tailoring, had the coldain shawl up to 4 or 5 I think.

I do remember I was trying to hunt down the mob that drops the SoW boots at one point, but was never able to get him.

As far as P99, I had known about it for years(again thanks to my brother) but just didn't have a desire to play. But a few weeks ago I logged on to Live just to mess around, and my brother said I should play P99 instead, so I figured I'd give it a shot.

Been here all of about a week. Having fun so far.
Closed Thread