Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 09-04-2011, 12:58 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

Default Soloing Shaman looking for help.

Hi all

I am looking at getting back into EQ. I used to play it back in the day, but it has been over seven years since I played last. Back then I had all kinds of time to play, however now days I have a lot going on in real life. There for I do not have large amounts of time to be online and any give time. This is why I will mostly be soloing.

I have a friend of mine that is playing an SK and I would like to play a Shaman. I never really played a shaman and it’s been a lot of years since I read much about them.

My goal would be to create a Shaman character like the ones I used to read and hear so much about back in the day. I used to hear that Ogre Shamans could solo things that most other class couldn’t back in Kunark and Velious.

So basically I’m looking for some help in setting my character for success at what I want him to be able to do.

Race: I am going to go with Ogre for the frontal stun and because their starting STA 127 and WIS 77 equals 204 before adding any starting points, which is higher then any other race that can play a shaman.

So I have my class and I have my race. Now I need to know what I should go for more STA or WIS if I want to be like those beastly soloing Shamans of the past (Kunark/Velious days).

Is HP King for a soloing Shaman?
Is AC King?
Where does Wis or Mana fall in the line of things for a Kunark/Velious soloing shaman?

Does it go something like this HP > STA > AC > Mana?

What items should I get or will I need?

Please feel free to post any helpful info you may have to aid me in this.
Old 09-04-2011, 01:11 PM
Sarnak

As I understand it AC is king for the soloing shaman, then HP, then WIS.
Old 09-04-2011, 01:25 PM
Sarnak

As far as I know the frontal stun immunity doesn't work here.
Old 09-04-2011, 01:59 PM
Kobold

Ogres cannot get stunned when being hit from the front. But this does not mean you wont get your spells interrupted, there's just a less of a chance.
Old 09-04-2011, 02:13 PM
Kobold

Send a message via ICQ to vageta31 Send a message via AIM to vageta31 Send a message via Yahoo to vageta31

Frontal stun immunity does indeed work here.

To the OP:

You chose the correct race, I'd put points into wisdom just to make it easier on yourself during leveling. You already have lots of sta, will no doubt get some in gear form and then with your buff you won't be lacking it. Also I'm not sure if the old rule of having less than 75 agi gives you a penalty, but I usually throw in 5 to get the Ogre to that number. Honestly it's been so long I don't remember what they start with but I'm thinking it's 70.

If you want to be a strong shaman then my biggest suggestion is to play a battle shaman from start to finish. Don't root dot and kite your whole career, learn how to handle fighting a mob that's in your face. It will help greatly down the road for times when things go bad.

If you're poor, just load up on high ac/hp items and fit in mana/wis when you don't lose either of the first two. It's better to get a lot of mana/wis in one slot than it is to spread it. Ie; Better than have 9 wis for gebs versus getting that 9 wis over 3 or 4 slots.

Good items for you to start out with.

Full banded if you're poor.
5ac/55hp rings
glowing bone collar
diamondine earrings
embroidered black cape/sleeves
gatorscale legs
etc...

Anything that gives decent ac and comes with hps is a good piece of equipment for you. Those little 10-15hps per item add up quickly. Grab a big 2h weapon, haste yourself when you get the spell and wade into melee like the big boys.

Whatever you do, don't run around with a book of obulus and a cone... You're not some wimpy caster, you're a GD Ogre Shaman who prefers to settle things with his stick.
Old 09-04-2011, 03:06 PM
Large Rat

I just recently started on this server too and starting to save a bit of money, what weapon should I be aiming for first? I'm using a cracked staff ATM and its pretty lack-luster.
Old 09-04-2011, 05:19 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

Starting Stats for an Ogre Shaman is

STR: 130
STA: 127
AGI: 70
DEX: 70
WIS: 77
INT: 60
CHA: 42
(with 30 points to spend)

First the AGI is only 70 and you get a nasty negative for having less then 75. However as a Shaman you can and should have buffs to help with this, there for should I spend 5 starting points on taking it to 75?

That said which would be the better way to spend my starting points

Option 1

STA: 127 + 23 = 150
WIS: 77 + 7 = 84

Option 2

STA: 127 + 5 = 132
WIS: 77 + 25 = 102

Option 3

STA: 127
AGI: 70 + 5 = 75
WIS: 77 + 25 = 102

Option 4

STA: 127 + 23 = 150
AGI: 70 + 5 = 75
WIS: 77 + 2 = 79

Or is there some other combo I should go with?
Old 09-04-2011, 06:35 PM
Banned

I made an Ogre Shaman based on the fact that I was going to straight-up solo here with amazing gear, and I had a fungi tunic and superb AC and weapons, etc. I leveled to 54 right around 8 days /played. I went 5 AGI and all the rest into STA, then leftover into WIS.

If I were to do it with a SK friend and no fungi tunic, I would have him be the ogre, and I would be a troll shaman of Innorruk for the snare necklace and regeneration. So pretty much unless you have stupendous gear, it's going to be a very much better bet to make a troll especially because you have a tank friend, rendering your frontal stun immunity useless and leaving you wishing you had regeneration.
Old 09-04-2011, 07:00 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

I have a friend who is playing an SK but he is a Dark Elf. Pluse for the most part we don't get to play on the same day or at the same time. So I will be soloing (all by my self) most of the time.
Old 09-04-2011, 07:02 PM
Kobold

Send a message via ICQ to vageta31 Send a message via AIM to vageta31 Send a message via Yahoo to vageta31

I personally went with option 3 and never regretted it. Even though you can buff agi you still want it to be at least 75 so if you die you aren't penalized when you spawn. Plus its one less buff to keep on you at all times.

You can't really go wrong with either sta or wis but I just chose wis since I played at the early part of the server and free gear wasn't falling off trees like it is now. If I'm not mistaken the highest sta you can possibly get is 255 and with buffs and gear it's not all that hard to hit that number, or at least break 200 if you start at 127.

Either way works. If you're casual then I'd go straight for wis since the extra mana will help you at low levels. If you're a raider then perhaps the wis will be better.
Closed Thread