Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 03-21-2012, 03:51 AM
Sarnak

Send a message via AIM to kingsBlend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mith0r [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I don't ever see druids' or wizards' demand a specific payment for rides. Do you just assume that's because these people are sitting around all day giving free rides for the hell of it?

You don't tip the pizza man either, do you? Or tip after getting a hair cut? Or tip your waiter / waitress? Aside from certain restaurants, rarely are you ever required to tip. Do you think it's funny to not tip someone, or did someone really teach you somewhere along the way that not tipping is just fine with most people? I mean hey, I don't ever remember the pizza guy or my barber specifically asking for a tip, fuck'em then, right? Hahah. That's a pretty shitty attitude to have.
Just like your favorite restaurant, if you want good service next time, you will tip well. This philosophy will possibly get you that free port when you are broke or on a CR. Or even when you are looking for a port in EC, that same person you tipped well will be the first to offer again.
Old 03-21-2012, 06:45 AM
Aviak

The people who complain that you shouldn't expect money because your a Druid and you come with all the ports pretty much free are completely devoid of logic. You can run to dreadlands for 2 hours, or have a Druid port you instantly. Some people can only play for 3 hours a day so that would be invaluable.

All in all time is money and if you don't like it, go roll a porting class and be the free taxi you think they should be.
Old 03-21-2012, 07:32 AM
Orc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordenwatch [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
You're being a dick for no real reason, he doesn't charge for ports because he's a nice guy and he doesn't want to put a flat fee for those who cannot afford it.
Exactly this.

Attaching a flat fee excludes the less well off or those who might not be able to pay anything at that time (hello CRs). In these cases, players often show far more gratitude because you have done a selfless act, and that can be a good enough reward for most players.

However, when it's clear that the person you are helping can afford to offer you something for your time, I find it pretty rude if they don't do so - 10pp can break the bank of a level 5, where 100pp would literally go unnoticed when you are swimming in fungis.

And here's the part that will blow your mind: it isn't even about the plat. I refuse 90%+ of the donations I am offered for rezzing because first and foremost, I'm doing it to help. Donations are not payments - they are a show of gratitude, and if your gratitude isn't worth 0.01% of your wealth, I don't know what to say.
Old 03-21-2012, 07:41 AM
Aviak

As a wizard who doesn’t care much for the money game, I feel porters provide a valuable service to the community and the typical donations do not compensate for the service.

Anyway, people should pay porters with experience, and for that I mean group invites.

When you get a port from Antonica to Kunark, you probably save one hour of travel, and you give what to the porter? 50p?

Would you invite that same porter that took you to DL to group with you for an hour in KC, if he gives you those 50p back?
Old 03-21-2012, 08:04 AM
Planar Protector

I don't know what to say about any of this lol. When I play my Shaman or Druid I sure as hell don't charge someone for SoW like I see turds doing in the tunnel. "Donations accepted but not Required". Give me a fucking break.

So when I am on my Cleric and someone needs a buff or a heal I ask for plat?? Or on my Enchanter and they need Crack. Give me Plat??

Stop your GOD DAMN crying about Ports. If you don't want to port people go Anon. Everybody in this game adds something to everyone else. Even a Warrior may be able to break a camp for you killing a high HP mob.

If you want to be a "Port Whore" in the tunnel fine. Set a price just like a Hooker does and be happy. If you are just sitting in the tunnel porting you have a very boring life. Get over it.
Last edited by webrunner5; 03-21-2012 at 08:08 AM..
Old 03-21-2012, 09:05 AM
Kobold

I used to care about getting tipped, but now I don't. I'm a broke ass WIZ, but simple fact is - if I have the time to port someone I'll do it. It's nice when someone offers me a tip, but unless it's like 20+pp I just turn it down. I can alwayz go smoke a cig while I med back the mana, so no harm no foul. Besides, I know I'm helping someone save some time, and I'm not here to make someone's gameplay LESS enjoyable over a tip dispute.

Hate and Sky tho I usually ask for 250pp. 100pp to cover the stone, 150pp for the risk factor of Hate and the annoyment of losing my buffs in Sky. Those are the only 2 I will ask up front for a specific amount.

<The Mystical Order>

Alts:
[34 Wizard] Motlee Crue (Human) <The Mystical Order>
[4 Wizard] Aysee Deecee (Human) <The Mystical Order>
[2 Wizard] Vhan Halen (Human) <The Mystical Order>

Live - Tallon Zek 2000-2005 / Drinal 2007-2008
[80 Sorcerer] Acillatem Zoso (Human) <Knights of the White Rose> / <Veritable Quandary>
Old 03-21-2012, 09:15 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acillatem [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I used to care about getting tipped, but now I don't. I'm a broke ass WIZ, but simple fact is - if I have the time to port someone I'll do it. It's nice when someone offers me a tip, but unless it's like 20+pp I just turn it down. I can alwayz go smoke a cig while I med back the mana, so no harm no foul. Besides, I know I'm helping someone save some time, and I'm not here to make someone's gameplay LESS enjoyable over a tip dispute.

Hate and Sky tho I usually ask for 250pp. 100pp to cover the stone, 150pp for the risk factor of Hate and the annoyment of losing my buffs in Sky. Those are the only 2 I will ask up front for a specific amount.
This is the person we should all strive to be on here lol. Good post.
Old 03-21-2012, 09:45 AM
Aviak

I always tip 50pp min...The King has spoken!
Old 03-21-2012, 10:08 AM
Planar Protector

Some people care about their time, others don't. No one should assume everyone should think or be like them, or "strive to be like" someone else. Fact is we're different, and there really isn't an objective way to say who has a better opinion.

So if you expect money, communicate that - if you don't, communicate that too. That way, no one assumes stuff without reason and no one gets all pissy that some people expect tips and no one gets all pissy that some people don't tip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dumbledorf View Post
I'll look into getting it changed to The Secret Order of the Silver Rose of Truth and Dragons.
Old 03-21-2012, 10:24 AM
Fire Giant

I don't tip, I just offer 100pp up front for basic ports, however it is rare that I need them and normally only on alts to get to EC.