Go Back   Project 1999 > Red Community > Red Rants and Flames

Closed Thread

Old 10-10-2011, 10:22 AM
Aviak

Default Dynamic pvp range

sucks. please remove.
Old 10-10-2011, 11:25 AM
Sarnak

It'd be great if it worked. Of course they're not gonna launch the server with that buggy shit, they'll fix it during beta or launch without it. The idea is fine.
Old 10-10-2011, 03:48 PM
Banned

Dynamic pvp code that isn't classic, and is not tested will of course have hella bugs. Everytime Verant patched to "fix" something, they broke 3 more things. It is unintelligent to expect anything different by a non-payed staff. I can't imagine why an amateur staff would believe they were going to do anything but screw it up and waste everyones time as they indeed have.

Since new code will only delay the project...since new code is by definition "not classic"... since new code actually restricts, hinders and otherwise forbids pvp on a pvp server.... I make the well-supported motion to stop delaying the project further with these frivilous and destructive codes, let the pvprs pvp and let the blue guys learn from their failures.

If you are making all of these collosally dumb rules to "protect" the weaker of players, you are making another bone-headed mistake. These same people you feel you "need" to protect will quit playing the moment they realize they aren't going to get any pixels. All you have done with policies and bone-headed codes like these are aggravate the players who will stay with you, and patronize the players who won't stay with you when they still can't get what they trolled you into coding for them.

Listen to me now or i rub it in later fools.
Old 10-10-2011, 04:11 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macken [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Dynamic pvp code that isn't classic, and is not tested will of course have hella bugs. Everytime Verant patched to "fix" something, they broke 3 more things. It is unintelligent to expect anything different by a non-payed staff. I can't imagine why an amateur staff would believe they were going to do anything but screw it up and waste everyones time as they indeed have.

Since new code will only delay the project...since new code is by definition "not classic"... since new code actually restricts, hinders and otherwise forbids pvp on a pvp server.... I make the well-supported motion to stop delaying the project further with these frivilous and destructive codes, let the pvprs pvp and let the blue guys learn from their failures.

If you are making all of these collosally dumb rules to "protect" the weaker of players, you are making another bone-headed mistake. These same people you feel you "need" to protect will quit playing the moment they realize they aren't going to get any pixels. All you have done with policies and bone-headed codes like these are aggravate the players who will stay with you, and patronize the players who won't stay with you when they still can't get what they trolled you into coding for them.

Calm down, it's still beta. Server release is like a month away.
Old 10-10-2011, 04:37 PM
Planar Protector

Recently had someone green con to me meleeing me and anytime I attempted to cast on them or auto attack they received protection and were basically immune.

While they kept attacking me.

Twinked out ranger with a gigantic zweilhander. This system on paper would be awesome but in reality is not working.
Old 10-10-2011, 04:55 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macken [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

The dynamic range system doesn't restrict PvP in any way. If anything, it fixes a few glaring problems that existed on live, and if it worked, it would do so without adding any problems of its own. It is intended to simply make it impossible for someone to engage in PvP in some way without becoming open to attacks, as with the oft-criticized OOR healing. It's a good idea. It's something that should have existed on live but didn't because the developers never cared about PvP, and while class mechanics and other core game features must remain classic, the PvP ruleset is one of the few things this server's dev team do have the freedom to customize. The game itself will remain classic and the dynamic range system will not have a direct influence on how people play Everquest. It merely fixes a pseudo-exploit that always plagued PvP.

If they can't get it to work, they should (and probably will) release without it. That doesn't mean it should be scrapped now, though. there's at least two weeks left of beta, and we don't know what Rogean has been doing in the last two weeks. I suspect he has been working on the dynamic system and that the first beta patch will attempt to fix it. If it still doesn't work when we're within days of a release date, you can start talking about discarding it. At this point, documenting the bugs is all that's needed.
Old 10-10-2011, 07:17 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bockscar [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The dynamic range system doesn't restrict PvP in any way. If anything, it fixes a few glaring problems that existed on live, and if it worked, it would do so without adding any problems of its own. It is intended to simply make it impossible for someone to engage in PvP in some way without becoming open to attacks, as with the oft-criticized OOR healing. It's a good idea. It's something that should have existed on live but didn't because the developers never cared about PvP, and while class mechanics and other core game features must remain classic, the PvP ruleset is one of the few things this server's dev team do have the freedom to customize. The game itself will remain classic and the dynamic range system will not have a direct influence on how people play Everquest. It merely fixes a pseudo-exploit that always plagued PvP.

If they can't get it to work, they should (and probably will) release without it. That doesn't mean it should be scrapped now, though. there's at least two weeks left of beta, and we don't know what Rogean has been doing in the last two weeks. I suspect he has been working on the dynamic system and that the first beta patch will attempt to fix it. If it still doesn't work when we're within days of a release date, you can start talking about discarding it. At this point, documenting the bugs is all that's needed.

You might want to rethink the bolded part.

This is supposed to be a pvp server. Any rules that restrict pvp is counter-productive and disingenuous.

Anyone who believes any different is either a weaker player or has been trolled by one. No weak players who want this system will be left after 3-9 months. They will all quit when they realize these dumb rules have not and will not help them.

The only thing it does is infuriate real pvpers, which translates into more staff bashing behind their back. There are a few who will tell them to their face.

There was a reason SZ was created. Any of the staff who is still confused might want to ask Verant why.
Old 10-10-2011, 07:34 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
You might want to rethink the bolded part.

This is supposed to be a pvp server. Any rules that restrict pvp is counter-productive and disingenuous.

Anyone who believes any different is either a weaker player or has been trolled by one. No weak players who want this system will be left after 3-9 months. They will all quit when they realize these dumb rules have not and will not help them.

The only thing it does is infuriate real pvpers, which translates into more staff bashing behind their back. There are a few who will tell them to their face.

There was a reason SZ was created. Any of the staff who is still confused might want to ask Verant why.
But the dynamic range, once working properly, will allow for MORE pvp..