Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Rants and Flames

Closed Thread

Old 10-07-2011, 06:12 PM
Fire Giant

mardur, you do realize that espers started the 'everyone can get everything' its just 6 everyone had a unique ability and did learn certain things faster and whom stats generaly aimed to a type of class, and yes before espers fully opened up to all it was 'standard' classes

anywho, I agree with you...and same in mmo's I like group balance..not wow lets all dps!

Xadion Von'Darkborn - Shadow Knight
Cory Von'Darkborn - Ranger
Brezner Von'Darkborn - Bard
Watermelons Siliconmelons - Corpse/Shaman

Old 10-07-2011, 06:16 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autotune [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I liked FF12 up until i no longer had to do anything but move my characters around. They were unbeatable. I literally drove them around and owned every fucking thing in the game.
I enjoyed FF12 through about the first 60% or so, even though the characters were always terrible. Even their names were generic... Vaan, Ashe, Fran... although I guess that's a good thing since I never would have remembered them if they were more than 4 letters.

Anyways, the biggest problem is that FF12 pretends to have a storyline throughout the whole thing when it really doesn't. It borrows tons of references from Final Fantasy Tactics, a game with great characters and plot, and tries to fool you into thinking it'll develop in an interesting manner like FFT.

Final Fantasy 12 was the only game I've ever played that I didn't realize I had just defeated the final boss. This should be testament enough to how terrible it is.

You think there's a storyline there, and you think it's getting interesting, but nothing is ever expanded on or explained, not even in the ending. Matter of fact, the ending is the worst piece of "and they all lived happily ever after" bullshit I've ever seen. Like, the game was never about the characters, everything revolved around political intrigue and those god-like things at the end. Yet when you beat the game it's like oh hey, all these idiots you were forced to play for the past 40 hours are all happy they saved the world or something, actually they don't even know what they did because this game sucked so much.

Not to mention it had the worst "skill up" system of any RPG ever. The sphere grid was bad enough, and they stole that and bastardized it. The upgrades were all completely pointless except those uber abilities that allowed you to destroy any boss in the game. So obviously you went straight for those and didn't really give a shit about the rest since it was all you needed to beat the game.

Not to mention with the Gambit system, yeah, eventually the game just played itself for you and you watched. This just so happened to be the worst game to implement such a system, considering there was nothing worth watching. It's like the entire thing was designed to be a monumental waste of time.

lol wut
Old 10-07-2011, 06:25 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xadion [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
mardur, you do realize that espers started the 'everyone can get everything' its just 6 everyone had a unique ability and did learn certain things faster and whom stats generaly aimed to a type of class, and yes before espers fully opened up to all it was 'standard' classes

anywho, I agree with you...and same in mmo's I like group balance..not wow lets all dps!
Yeah, I know what you mean about 6. That's why generally when I play a new game I never equip espers. Even with the esper system, characters still felt very unique from each other. This is mostly because a) the "class" abilities were usually very powerful and useful and b) stat / gear choice. FF6 starts to go in the shitter in the World of Ruin, since everyone can just spam super powerful magic all day long. Enemies do the same thing, so the game quickly becomes about using characters who can use the best items (in other words, who can obtain 128 MBlock through equipment). But in the world of balance, there's a huge difference between characters like Gau and Cyan and I can really appreciate that. Especially before espers, characters are very unique and one-dimensional (in a good way). FF7's materia system just allows you to swap abilities among characters willy-nilly.

FF6: Do I bring Celes with her magic abilities and superior defensive equipment, or Sabin who can destroy things with his Bum Rush ability?

FF7: Do I want to bring the chick who punches things, or the guy who shoots things?

lol wut
Old 10-07-2011, 06:26 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mardur [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I enjoyed FF12 through about the first 60% or so, even though the characters were always terrible. Even their names were generic... Vaan, Ashe, Fran... although I guess that's a good thing since I never would have remembered them if they were more than 4 letters.

Anyways, the biggest problem is that FF12 pretends to have a storyline throughout the whole thing when it really doesn't. It borrows tons of references from Final Fantasy Tactics, a game with great characters and plot, and tries to fool you into thinking it'll develop in an interesting manner like FFT.

Final Fantasy 12 was the only game I've ever played that I didn't realize I had just defeated the final boss. This should be testament enough to how terrible it is.

You think there's a storyline there, and you think it's getting interesting, but nothing is ever expanded on or explained, not even in the ending. Matter of fact, the ending is the worst piece of "and they all lived happily ever after" bullshit I've ever seen. Like, the game was never about the characters, everything revolved around political intrigue and those god-like things at the end. Yet when you beat the game it's like oh hey, all these idiots you were forced to play for the past 40 hours are all happy they saved the world or something, actually they don't even know what they did because this game sucked so much.

Not to mention it had the worst "skill up" system of any RPG ever. The sphere grid was bad enough, and they stole that and bastardized it. The upgrades were all completely pointless except those uber abilities that allowed you to destroy any boss in the game. So obviously you went straight for those and didn't really give a shit about the rest since it was all you needed to beat the game.

Not to mention with the Gambit system, yeah, eventually the game just played itself for you and you watched. This just so happened to be the worst game to implement such a system, considering there was nothing worth watching. It's like the entire thing was designed to be a monumental waste of time.
I didn't go straight for them, I actually spent a ton of time in the game getting lost in the the crystal maze, whatever the fuck (which is harder than the rest of the game). I ran around in there trying to kill the hidden bosses, familiarize the maze and find goodies. I only later realized that the skills i got while in there and the gambit setup i used for it would allow me to just rape everything after it.

The story was meh. I when I got out of the maze finally I stopped playing for a few months. When I finally just seen it and figured, what the hell, I picked it up, put it in, boarded the ship and then beat the game like 5mins later.
Old 10-08-2011, 10:38 PM
Kobold

I loved FF7, FF8 has a place in my heart. it was like futuristic military and the gardens where like different little countries. FF9 was very good as well.
Old 10-08-2011, 11:11 PM
Fire Giant

i like this thread. my first rpg was dragon warrior, got it with my nintendo power subscription in 1988.

my favorite rpg's in no particular order:
castlevania: sotn
secret of mana (seiken densetsu 2)
dragon quest
legend of dragoon
chrono cross (chrono trigger is yet another good but overrated game, glenn just happens to be my love)
d20 modern
blue dragon
ffiv
suikoden
and if we're considering ocarina of time an rpg...metal gear solid :P

final fantasy IV was my favorite final fantasy. VII was ok, but it's a cookie cutter squaresoft rpg at this point.
final fantasy 8, x2, 11, 12, 13...sucked. imo they lost what made the ff series final fantasy. square just needs to hire akira toriyama for their next rpg and stop trying to release huge cinematic events, just fucking make a good game.
Old 10-09-2011, 06:49 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by baub [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
7 so good that threads about 8 become threads about 7 ~

8 was definitely one of the worst of the series

7 has a special place in my heart for nostalgia's sake

tactics was great

3(6) was the best. anyone who argues this is just falling into 7's nostalgia trap, or is straight up bad
first person to win the thread
Old 10-09-2011, 10:37 AM
Fire Giant

wildarms series

Old 10-09-2011, 10:49 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xadion [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
wildarms series
Wild Arms was a good series too, at least the first 2, i dont remember playing anything after that.
Old 10-09-2011, 08:17 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honest [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Wild Arms was a good series too, at least the first 2, i dont remember playing anything after that.
I skipped wildarms2 bc I heard it was shit....but we also hear that ff8 is bearable for one reason or another.

anyhow, I liked wildcards 3, 4 is okay.. And 5 is great, I would say on par with 3.. I am just now playing 2 on psn and it seems quite good so far. Also playing through 1 on the ps2 remake and am loving it...except the scan for towns and shit...I hate that part of the wildarms series.

Closed Thread