Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Closed Thread

Old 06-07-2016, 01:26 PM
Large Rat

Default Any guides? Suggestions?

Hey all,

I recently got everything set up and played a few minutes on the server. The music and sounds alone did me in. I'm already back on the hook and starting to sink. Getting ready for work and my wife asks me why I am humming. I said, ITS THE EVERQUEST INTRO, YOU WOULDN'T UNDERSTAND! NOW SHOO... after the redness wore from my face, I decided to come post this and ask a few things:

1) Anyone recommend any good guides on leveling and such? I used to have printed out maps and quest notes, but they are lost. I was very, very young when I started EQ in 1999, and have brief memories, but from what I recall, I barely quested while leveling, and basically sat in one spot and grinded the entire time. I only remember the crushbone orc quest and some bone chip quest or something if I recall (in the dwarf starting area and some chessboard farm place). Any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated.

2) I am stuck in windowed mode, and it's making the text and fonts and such VERY hard to read. I read the FAQ and followed the instructions, but I can't really figure out 100% why it is not working and going to full screen (or even mostly full screen). I am stuck with about 60% of my screen being EQ and the rest being desktop. Any other suggestions on how to fix this? I went into the .ini file and set it to 800x600, but it's still not working correctly.

3) I am not 100% sure on what class to main. As I will not be able to play like I did back in the day, (12-16 hr a day/neckbearded) I should still be fairly active and would love to get back into a decently active guild. On live, I played a 60 cleric (all I remember is smashing undead and cheal chains on Vindi) and a 60 mage (all I remember is pushing RZ into the wall when he was doing his cleave with 290 little pets) The rest is a blur. I was thinking a solo-friendly class such as a shaman, mage (for kicks and giggles and old time sakes) or a necro. I do remember fear kiting with a friend of mine on the necro in one of the PoP instances. Those were the days.

Anyway, thanks for the read and info/tips.

You guys and gals have a good one, and get with me if you want to play around (maybe level an alt or something with me =)

-Nilban (or other names, depending on the chars that I have)
Old 06-08-2016, 03:26 PM
Large Bat

Welcome, Nilban!

I'm new myself, but I can offer suggestions/answers to some of your questions:
  1. You might start with the Project1999 wiki. There's a newbie guide and class-specific guides to help you get started.
  2. At the risk of offering the obvious solution... <ALT><ENTER> to alternate between windowed mode and fullscreen?
  3. I'm the wrong person to ask for race/class questions. I intentionally make bad choices.

There. Now your welcome post isn't sitting there unacknowledged. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

-----
Chenedra - 6th level lady knight of Quellious
Old 06-08-2016, 03:59 PM
Fire Giant

Welcome to the server. P99 wiki has a lot of good info. To fix your window you need to go into the EQ directory and find the eqclient.ini file and edit the resolution in there under the [video mode] section to be your native resolution. There is an entry for fullscreen and windowed mode.

Once you set the fullscreen mode to the proper resolution the text issues should go away but if you are like me and play with two monitors even if you set the windowed mode to the proper resolution you still get some weird bands of distorted text (I assume because it's not accounting for the title bar of the window and there is no borderless window option that I know of).
Old 06-08-2016, 04:49 PM
Large Bat

Welcome, Nilban! I had a similar experience with my wife. She's been very understanding so far. We'll see how it goes as time progresses. Hah.

For guides, just prepend p99 to a google search and 95% of the time a corresponding wiki article will come up. Or search on the wiki. It's pretty good. Some info is outdated, but since not much has changed, it still serves reasonably well. For example, class exp penalties were removed, but many of the guides on the wiki still reference them. There are also some posts on the forums that reference archived classic articles. These, if you're like me, are another blast from the past to browse through, but generally not quite as useful.

As far as the client goes... it's not exactly ideal for a modern monitor. Ballz' suggestion should work, but I'd recommend just playing around with it until you find something that works for you. I've actually been playing in 1920x1080 windowed mode, because I have a 1920x1200 monitor and it fits well and still allows me to tab out. For some reason in fullscreen mode, it just puts me back to windowed if I switch windows. As I get time I might try to fix that, but it hasn't really hindered me yet.

As for which class to play, that is the eternal question. So many factors go into a decision. Read some of the guides on the wiki. Loraen's Class Selection Guide is a pretty good one. Get some ideas, give one a go. Good luck. Hope to see you in game!
Old 06-08-2016, 05:51 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by mphintz2 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Some info is outdated, but since not much has changed, it still serves reasonably well. For example, class exp penalties were removed, but many of the guides on the wiki still reference them.
I know some things are different or outdated but are you sure about the class penalty? We were trying to determine why our group seemed to be leveling at different rates in a group and remembered the necro + iksar penalty. Compared to my Iksar monk the difference in our XP gain was almost exactly equal to the extra 10% penalty that necros get from the class penalty. I'm curious where there is info that they were removed?
Old 06-08-2016, 06:12 PM
Large Bat

Can't speak from personal experience, but the wiki says class experience penalties were removed in September 2015.
Old 06-09-2016, 12:32 AM
Fire Giant

Interesting. I never saw that. Good to know!
Old 06-09-2016, 08:27 AM
Fire Giant

play which ever race / class you would have the most enjoyment from. dont worry about anything more than that. dont over think it. just use your gut instinct to make the decision or you may regret your choice later.

Also read up on the classes on the wiki sight attached to these forums home page. It will grant you additional insight for making the decision and how to allocate your starting points.
Old 06-09-2016, 11:45 AM
Large Rat

Thanks for all of the information, my friends. I chose a human bard (played one in PoP live) I think I will also level a magician or necro after a while. Who knows? I am just glad to be back. My bard's name is Ezekael if anyone sees me around. =D
Closed Thread