Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 03-22-2012, 01:10 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by maahes [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Just thought you would like to know. Blizzards is now Activision-Blizzard. So your opinion and the past presidents that Blizzard demonstrated are no longer valid in anyway. Activision is the boss now.
Precedents?

But yes, I agree they were purchased by Activision. I cannot speak to how that has/is/will alter the original company but I'm pretty sure the people at Blizzard are smart. Smart enough to strike a deal with Activision to keep their retarded publishing hands out of the game development side of things.

Just a thought, anyway. Since I don't work there or have any contacts that want to share, I have no way of knowing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milo Cooper, Senior Artist, SOE
Shut up and give me my ten bucks per month, little man. My Porsche needs some performance upgrades.
Old 03-22-2012, 01:22 PM
Fire Giant

Honestly I've become so jaded over a lifetime of gaming that it's getting harder and harder to find new releases appealing.

So many games lack depth, complexity, or any form of innovation. I tried to play Mass Effect 3 and literally got bored after 5 minutes because it's just the same shit I've played 100 times before. I didn't have to think, I didn't have to make choices, or take risks, or analyze anything.

I look back very fondly on my time playing World of Warcraft, but mainly up to and through Burning Crusade. Before cross-server dungeon queue's you actually had to find and talk to real people, organize a group, and travel for 15-20 mins to get where you needed to go. I remember how many times I had to form a group to go through BRD, and there were always people who had never done it before, and I had to guide them and explain things. Pulls had to be CC'd, there was a specific strategy to get through the Lyceum without getting zerged by swarms of dwarves-- it was never certain that we would make it to Emperor, and it was a several hour investment even if we did. It wasn't a matter of collecting enough badges to get your guaranteed gear; you were at the mercy of droprates, and when you finally got that item, there was a much larger sense of accomplishment.

With Wrath, that became a 30-minute romp through heroics AoEing everything the whole way. People considered a group that had to CC a shitty group. Eventually you didn't even have to put the group together or use the summoning stone.

People think that they don't want tedium, or massive time investment. Even casual players will say that they want to be catered to, but I don't think it pans out that way. The more you remove the challenge and exclusivity from the acquisition of gear, the more you remove the sense of accomplishment for everybody, whether you play for 2 hours a day or 12. I think WoW's subscription numbers will attest to that-- the destruction of WoW's American playerbase directly correlates with the trend toward class homogenization and the removal of substantial time investment for content.

The game was far more convenient, but I don't think it was more fun for most people.

Also, I'd like to know how many people who claim WoW was easy were successful in Arenas, where the challenge is dictated by other players. (Class composition shenanigans excluded).

P.S Look how many of Diablo 3's abilities are copy/pasted from WoW. Disgusting.
Last edited by Ephirith; 03-22-2012 at 01:24 PM..
Old 03-22-2012, 01:27 PM
Aviak

It's hard to even say that diablo 3 is going to be an amazing game. Some of you think its going to fail because of rmt which is absurd. The previous titles had a gigantic market outside of the game (diablo 1 lasted until everyone and your mother used the easy during method).

You don't like one new aspect or one thing that they removed? Cry me a river~~~~~~
Once people are able to open the box and explore its contents, then speak that peace. Also, beta counts as a small peppermint candy
Old 03-22-2012, 01:58 PM
Large Bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ephirith [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
P.S Look how many of Diablo 3's abilities are copy/pasted from WoW. Disgusting.
You could say the same thing with WoW from Diablo 2 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

To get back to the topic...

I've enjoyed my limited time here, and I'm sure I will enjoy Diablo 3 when it comes out (how long that enjoyment lasts remains to be seen). I don't think the two have to be mutually exclusive.
Old 03-22-2012, 02:12 PM
Orc

WoW IS easy now, too easy. Compare it to release up to 1.9 was released and you'll see that WoW was much more challenging that it is now. And now Pandas and Pokemon... really?

Diablo 3 will be an awesome game. I've been playing the beta since they kicked it off and I'm absolutely loving the game. I don't particularly care for the Monk class and wish the Paladin was back in, but it's an absolutely awesome game in my honest opinion. I'm enjoying unlocking all the achievements possible during the beta and just taking in some new Diablo gameplay as I've played the hell outa the first two, and then some. Sure, it doesn't have the offline playability that the first two had but oh well, everyone I know has an internet connection (with the exception of my own place, but that's what my phone is for, instant net connection ftw!).

But I think people are overthinking things. I doubt much is going to effect the population here. Sure, it may fluctuate some as games are released but I'm sure it will normalize after a period of time.

Guild Wars 2 effecting anything is much to laugh at, at least imho. But to each his own [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 03-22-2012, 02:14 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haul [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
This. Also most of the people posting here negatively about Diablo 3 either havn't done their fair share of research, or didn't play Diablo or Diablo 2 to truely appreciate the series. Diablo 3 is gonna be freakin amazing and those who say otherwise are narrow minded. Real talk.

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
This would be more believable coming from someone who wasn't banned
Old 03-22-2012, 02:16 PM
Planar Protector

Project 99 is a retro, nostalgia-fueled server.

I think it's safe to assume the population will be largely unaffected by any new release, let alone a non-mmo.
Old 03-22-2012, 02:18 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by fischsemmel [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Actually, Lorraine's statement is 100% true. There are definitely entire companies that would dream of having a following the size of DoTA's.

Herp derp.
I've noticed people who say "erp" tend to be simps.

Look up Riot/League of Legend's numbers.
You're welcome.

- Eliphas Levi
Old 03-22-2012, 02:22 PM
Sarnak

I was outraged when I heard about the RMT auction house for D3 to the point where I said I wasn't going to play it. Then I loaded up Diablo 2 and every game I created would have 3-5 random bots jump in and flood your screen with websites and crap to buy stuff from with a bot coming in every 2 minutes or so to flood your screen again and again. Now I am all for it, I won't be spending real cake on in-game items but if it gets rid of that shite then giddy-up

Carsomyr - 55 Pally - Retired
Thalon - 49 Rogue - Temporarily Benched
Contagious - Necro - 30's and climbing
Lights - 55 Wiz - Occasional Murderer
Old 03-22-2012, 02:42 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scavrefamn [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I've noticed people who say "erp" tend to be simps.
Blanket generalization anyone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milo Cooper, Senior Artist, SOE
Shut up and give me my ten bucks per month, little man. My Porsche needs some performance upgrades.
Closed Thread