Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 12-23-2013, 02:21 PM
Skeleton

Default Adjust Epic Quests

Now I know it's not classic, or Kunark, or even Live (I think) but could it be possible to adjust epic quests to not be such exercises in tedium or down right boredom, culminating in a mad dash to get your friends to the mob that you've been camping for the last month in first?

I just came to the realization that I'm not having a whole lot of fun sitting on a lvl 1 character staring top down at a room in Neriak with 1 or 2 other lvl 1's hoping that a mob we all need will spawn, also hoping that when I afk (you know for work, sleep, food, etc) it doesn't spawn. I've got a lot of time to post unworkable questions on forums right now because of this. The simple solution is to bump of up the spawn timers by something like a factor of 24, instead of a 2 - 7 day respawn, a 2 - 7 hour. Might be too much of a cut but I'm on the hurry and wait half of the equation.

For other classes the situation is better and worse. Better because most guilds have reasons to fight in the planes and gods/dragons, worse because those same gods/dragons are on multi day respawn timers and are even more contested because the epic item needed is not the only desireable that comes from these heavily contested targets. In a situation like this I'd expect to introduce the desired epic item to a different NPC's loot table and put it's respawn timer on par with some of these other epic NPC's.

As an aside to anyone who would argue this wouldn't be fair to the people that already have their epics, EQ isn't particularly fair or balanced so congrats on being first and getting it while it's hard. Secondly while your implementing these changes you can kill the ability to MQ half the epics... but let me go grab those cleric/rogue/shaman epics for my low level alts first.

I'm 90% positive nothing will come from this post but hey, I'm bored and I've checked back into EQ at least 2 dozen times in the process of typing this and I now need to afk to go do some work... Verina Tomb spawn inc.
Old 12-23-2013, 02:24 PM
Planar Protector

It's not supposed to be fun, I don't think. It's supposed to be epic. Epically hard, epically annoying, epically awesome, take your pick. But not fun. At least you have a doable one. I'm never going to see mine.
Old 12-23-2013, 02:29 PM
Planar Protector

This is what Gordon had to say back in October 2000:

http://web.archive.org/web/200101040...p?Article=2746

Source: EverQuest General Discussion Forums.

You know Abashi or Gordon or what ever you want to be called, this attitude of the I hate it for you the epic quest items are not for everyone really pisses me off. That is complete bull crap. I pay 9.95 a month, and I expect to be treated fairly. If you guys cant treat all players the same and make it where this stuff is atainable by all. And not make items available by only the elite few. Then you are not being Fair to every one and last I checked every one pays pretty much the same amount of money. Wake up and be fair to the Majority of players not the elite few.
Given the same dedication, ability, knowledge, and network of friends, you have the same chance of obtaining any item in the game as anyone else. All players are being treated the same way, that does not mean that every player will get the same things as every other player in the same calendar period.

Gordon then responded to another post on the same topic:

Please explain yourself. In another post you said that these items were never meant to come into the game enmass because that would throw off the balance of the game. What you are really saying here is that if you don't play the game 40 hours a week, or don't belong to an uber guild, your just SOL.

The quests are meant to be completed by people who can get help from a good number of other people. While I don't think that it means that you *must* be in a "uberguild", it certainly wouldn't hurt. These are top of the line items, and "top of the line" items aren't typically meant to be acquired solo.

So far it appears that everyone who has recieved the EPIC weapon has been a member or a friend of just such a guild.

I imagine that it's hard to find someone in the 50-60 range who could get enough support without having a guild or friends in such a guild to help.

If this is the case, just come out and tell us that most players will not be able to obtain their class defining weapon because they are either not connected socially or they have a life away from the game.

The vast majority of players in the level range to acquire these items is either in, or have friends in, a guild. Still, most players will not obtain the epic quest item period, regardless of guild status or level. Though I understand your feelings regarding the issue, it is intended to be this way. As I've posted before, no one is "entitled" to items in the game. Things that we want universally available are sold on vendors.

Guys, it's about prestige. These are meant to be prestigous items to have. If everyone has them, there's no prestige in having one.

- Gordon
Old 12-23-2013, 02:30 PM
Planar Protector

It's a game. Games are supposed to be fun. This was just poor game design, but it's how it was. It could have been epic without causing bedsores, but this was one of the first games of it's kind and it was a perpetual work in progress. Plus, the longer they kept you playing, the more they got in subscription fees.

I never played a chanter though; does Verina get a revamp with the rest of the epic quests or does she stay a bottleneck?
Old 12-23-2013, 02:30 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sotre [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I just came to the realization that I'm not having a whole lot of fun sitting on a lvl 1 character staring top down at a room in Neriak with 1 or 2 other lvl 1's hoping that a mob we all need will spawn, also hoping that when I afk (you know for work, sleep, food, etc) it doesn't spawn.
Let me FTFY:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sotre [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I'm bored of EQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dumbledorf View Post
I'll look into getting it changed to The Secret Order of the Silver Rose of Truth and Dragons.
Old 12-23-2013, 02:31 PM
Planar Protector

og devs want epics to be very rare

makes rogue epic

SCUMBAGS
Old 12-23-2013, 02:39 PM
Planar Protector

Really the Velious Epic changes are what should go in now if anything. What with the whole us being in Kunark for 33 months. Whereas live had Kunark for 8 and the epics patched to be easier after 12.
Old 12-23-2013, 02:43 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravager [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
It's a game. Games are supposed to be fun. This was just poor game design, but it's how it was. It could have been epic without causing bedsores, but this was one of the first games of it's kind and it was a perpetual work in progress. Plus, the longer they kept you playing, the more they got in subscription fees.

I never played a chanter though; does Verina get a revamp with the rest of the epic quests or does she stay a bottleneck?
I disagree with the whole notion that games are "supposed" to be fun. I hear this a lot from people and it bothers me that this notion keeps circulating that games end goal should be to provide fun. There are a lot of things I find fun about Everquest and the other games I play but there's also a lot of things about them that are simply not fun. The common thread that I've found through all the games that I've ended up sticking with is a sense of satisfaction. Be that immediate satisfaction or delayed satisfaction, regardless the sense of accomplishment is still there. To force a game to always be "fun" is to limit its options and its capacity to be satisfying.

Millburn Pennybags - Blue
Palmer Eldritch - Teal
Old 12-23-2013, 02:51 PM
Planar Protector

Engaging games are actually about what you *can't* do, not what you can.
Old 12-23-2013, 02:51 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ele [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
This is what Gordon had to say back in October 2000:

http://web.archive.org/web/200101040...p?Article=2746

Source: EverQuest General Discussion Forums.

You know Abashi or Gordon or what ever you want to be called, this attitude of the I hate it for you the epic quest items are not for everyone really pisses me off. That is complete bull crap. I pay 9.95 a month, and I expect to be treated fairly. If you guys cant treat all players the same and make it where this stuff is atainable by all. And not make items available by only the elite few. Then you are not being Fair to every one and last I checked every one pays pretty much the same amount of money. Wake up and be fair to the Majority of players not the elite few.
Given the same dedication, ability, knowledge, and network of friends, you have the same chance of obtaining any item in the game as anyone else. All players are being treated the same way, that does not mean that every player will get the same things as every other player in the same calendar period.

Gordon then responded to another post on the same topic:

Please explain yourself. In another post you said that these items were never meant to come into the game enmass because that would throw off the balance of the game. What you are really saying here is that if you don't play the game 40 hours a week, or don't belong to an uber guild, your just SOL.

The quests are meant to be completed by people who can get help from a good number of other people. While I don't think that it means that you *must* be in a "uberguild", it certainly wouldn't hurt. These are top of the line items, and "top of the line" items aren't typically meant to be acquired solo.

So far it appears that everyone who has recieved the EPIC weapon has been a member or a friend of just such a guild.

I imagine that it's hard to find someone in the 50-60 range who could get enough support without having a guild or friends in such a guild to help.

If this is the case, just come out and tell us that most players will not be able to obtain their class defining weapon because they are either not connected socially or they have a life away from the game.

The vast majority of players in the level range to acquire these items is either in, or have friends in, a guild. Still, most players will not obtain the epic quest item period, regardless of guild status or level. Though I understand your feelings regarding the issue, it is intended to be this way. As I've posted before, no one is "entitled" to items in the game. Things that we want universally available are sold on vendors.

Guys, it's about prestige. These are meant to be prestigous items to have. If everyone has them, there's no prestige in having one.

- Gordon
Best post of the year, a late contender but a winner no less.
Closed Thread