Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Green Community > Green Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 10-16-2019, 09:48 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by omgmo [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Not at all. I'm suggesting any program that draws in the same pixel space as the EQ game client for the purpose of giving an unintended advantage, should not be allowed.
By that argument, I shouldn't alt-tab and look stuff up in firefox. It's using the same pixel space. And gina windows can be set to the side too.

This seems like a really odd argument to be making.
Old 10-16-2019, 09:49 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by omgmo [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The bulk of the benefit is having it drawn in the game client anyway.
I think this is really the problem with this guy's ideas. He's already stated he doesn't have a problem with the actual information or overlays for some reason if you put it on a different monitor.

I don't think he understands that you still get all of the same information, but this guy thinks that it being over the client window gives some kind of advantage rather than having it right next to the window for some reason.

I'm actually really curious to hear what advantage exactly that is, I keep all of my overlays off the client window just because it's better for visibility and I can see both the game and the timers better.
Old 10-16-2019, 09:55 PM
Sarnak

gina is hilariously not in the spirit of classic eq
Old 10-16-2019, 09:56 PM
Planar Protector

To be honest the technical arguments don't really matter. The simple fact is that GINA provides grossly unclassic gameplay advantages to the user. Which is why people in this thread are so upset by the prospect of it being banned.

There is literally no argument against the blatantly obvious fact that GINA as is being used today on Blue is incredibly powerful and not classic. The only argument I'm seeing is that it should be left alone because it runs outside the EQ client entirely and therefore should not (some say cannot!) be banned. These are bad arguments, akin to saying, "Because the police cannot stop everyone from getting drunk and getting behind the wheel, drunk driving should not be a crime."

If the staff decide they don't want GINA on Green I believe they could find a way to make running it extremely tricky (and risky, if the price for being caught is a ban), at the very least. Do not underestimate their cleverness or abilities.
Old 10-16-2019, 10:02 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexenu [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
If the staff decide they don't want GINA on Green I believe they could find a way to make running it extremely tricky (and risky, if the price for being caught is a ban), at the very least. Do not underestimate their cleverness or abilities.
So when I hear people say "ban GINA", I really think they mean any of the multitude of programs that does what GINA does: read the logs and display info/timers.

In my head, there are two ways to do this:
  1. Inspect all running executables.
  2. Prevent logs from written or read in the first place.

I think there are technical and privacy issues with the first (ironically enough, wasn't it Sony that got in trouble for this?). The second is certainly doable.
Old 10-16-2019, 10:03 PM
Fire Giant

itt: a bunch of purported adults are real fuckin' concerned about the specifics of the manner in which a bunch of other purported adults choose to play a 20 year old video game.

The absolute firstest of first world problems.
Old 10-16-2019, 10:05 PM
Sarnak

why can't i have my world of warcraft timers in my everquest it's not fair
Large Bat

Quote:
If the staff decide they don't want GINA on Green I believe they could find a way to make running it extremely tricky
Disable logging. That's how you prevent GINA, DPS Parsers, Mappers, etc.
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwe [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
why can't i have my world of warcraft timers in my everquest it's not fair
Go for it man, I don't care.
Old 10-16-2019, 10:08 PM
Banned

GINA is way more convenient and unclassic than tons of stuff staff have already removed (duxa ui, buff timers, etc)

using it should be considered patch evasion
Closed Thread