Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 06-26-2010, 02:53 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reiker [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
WoW and Darkfall are good examples of bad PvP games, yeah.
I played on Rallos Zek server from launch up to Velious and as much as I loved it I have to say that EQ has the worst balance amongst the classes for PVP of any MMO I have ever played.
Old 06-26-2010, 04:45 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhelanKA [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I played on Rallos Zek server from launch up to Velious and as much as I loved it I have to say that EQ has the worst balance amongst the classes for PVP of any MMO I have ever played.
Ill still to this day say UO in the t2a era was the best PvP game, I play a t2a era based Emu still, its crazy how balanced and fast paced UO pvp is.

Sorry to derail, lets get back on topic!
Last edited by Phallax; 06-26-2010 at 05:18 PM..
Old 06-26-2010, 06:29 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhelanKA [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I played on Tallon Zek during a similar time and I disagree with you here. I think that's what made PvP so fun, you had to know when and how to pick your battles, not just start on the first bad guy you see. It also put a premium on hunting (PvP) in groups.

If every class were the same and it was just a matter of how fast you could click a button or just the timing on the key press the game would be rather bland.

But I haven't played any other MMO besides EQ so maybe I am just wrong.
Old 06-26-2010, 07:26 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
EQ was never balanced around PVP, other games are
Methlab - 50 Troll Shadow Knight
Kemba - 19 Monk
Old 06-26-2010, 08:13 PM
Fire Giant

I have played several different classes. My top favorite was the enchanter. No feeling like saving a group from a wipe by locking stuff down. My best memories of this was in Cazic Thule when people actually went there. Battles close to the wire and more roamers come wandering into the battle.
My next favorite was my monk. It allowed me to be a melée class but still included some different methods and tactics for the group as a pulled and splitting mobs.
I think next would be my necro. I like the dark aspects to the class and I can solo quite well. My shadow knight is close behind the necro. I played a wizard to 50 in 1999 and wound up retiring him.
It's all a matter of personal preferences and play style. We will all have different answers of course which is why everquest is so great. The classes are sufficiently different to suit everyone. What killed the game was blurring these lines and merging class defining abilities.
-----------------------
Old 06-26-2010, 08:48 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Striiker [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I have played several different classes. My top favorite was the enchanter. No feeling like saving a group from a wipe by locking stuff down. My best memories of this was in Cazic Thule when people actually went there. Battles close to the wire and more roamers come wandering into the battle.
My next favorite was my monk. It allowed me to be a melée class but still included some different methods and tactics for the group as a pulled and splitting mobs.
I think next would be my necro. I like the dark aspects to the class and I can solo quite well. My shadow knight is close behind the necro. I played a wizard to 50 in 1999 and wound up retiring him.
It's all a matter of personal preferences and play style. We will all have different answers of course which is why everquest is so great. The classes are sufficiently different to suit everyone. What killed the game was blurring these lines and merging class defining abilities.
Agree. Thats also what kills most games, they try and make classes far to balance with other classes and it shouldnt be that way. WoW died because its...well WoW and caters the casual gamer far to much. But with talents and allowing tons of classes to fulfil the same roles as others its almost pointless. I loved being a warrior pre-BC because we were the only suitable tanks then for raids. Now people look at warriors as 3rd rate tanks...its sad...

EQ. Other than shaman, as I already posted. I love playing rogues. I like being an endless damage souce with big numbers flashing on my screen and never worry about running out of mana. I played a berserker main on live(which well never see here) and that was my class of preference for DPS. HUGE numbers there, led my guild on the charts on many fights and we topped the server(Talisman on Tunare...still active today), epic 2.0 was amazing.
Last edited by Phallax; 06-26-2010 at 08:51 PM..
Old 06-26-2010, 10:38 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phallax [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Ill still to this day say UO in the t2a era was the best PvP game, I play a t2a era based Emu still, its crazy how balanced and fast paced UO pvp is.

Sorry to derail, lets get back on topic!
UOGamer Hybrid? [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] - I has a few accounts over there.
Old 06-26-2010, 10:51 PM
Kobold

Lol, WoW died, ok...Wow has more players/servers than any other MMORPG created. Yes granted it's easy but I feel that too many people just trash WoW without seeing all the great gameplay that it brings.

Kinda silly to keep saying that a game "sucks" or is "dead" when it has easily cornered the MMORPG market and that is a fact.

I do like how EQ has classes that are very reliant on others and thus building a community, but let's be honest here, EQ does have some glaring imbalances (especially in EQ2). It's cool to have a community, but it's also very frustrating to play a class that is in a way always gimped and not needed. I remember playing EQ live back in 03 and I could never get groups with my pally since they couldn't tank and had no "utility". Pretty annoying to roll a class and put some time into it only to find out later down the road that said class was in a sense worthless. When I played WoW, I never saw such things so that is why I post this.

based on my avatar pic, would you say that I am probably a complete scumbag IRL
Old 06-26-2010, 11:00 PM
Planar Protector

<--Vicious WoW hater [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Sucks. Is dead. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

---
Anyhoot. PlanetSide had the best PvP. Now it's screwed up, but it was the best for a time. Balance is not an issue really, PvP should be team/group based on factions. Only solo/duelers QQ about balance, that's hardly PvP.

Oh yeah, UO was good too. Had to organize though, I'm not speaking of the newbie gank-fest stuff. We had large scale alliance guild wars in that game, and with the help of the Seers we had something really good going. ...well until EA fired all the Seers. Damn EA. But PlanetSide, all time best. Now I just PvP in Secondlife, as I wait for something even better than PS was. Actually my avatar here is from my regulation combat ship.

But anyway, still split today. Drui is the best! But maybe tomorrow Cleric [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Last edited by Daywolf; 06-26-2010 at 11:25 PM..
Old 06-26-2010, 11:04 PM
Kobold

Bard for the fact its non-stop pulling action and can make a good group, the best group anyone has ever been in if played right.

Chanter also, because they can solo amazing things if played with skill, and the class does indeed take skill in sticky situations.