Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Closed Thread

Old 03-02-2015, 12:43 PM
Planar Protector

Maybe 2 mages! I just remembered - there's no rule that says they can't both play the same class. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] And some classes stack really well: mages, monks, rogues, or wizards x2 = twice the power.

Hey, just thought of another possibility: Iksars. The youngest can play monk, the eldest can play shadowknight, pops can play shaman. SKs only get spells at 9; by that time, he or she may be ready for more complexity.

I'm eager to hear how it goes!
Last edited by Videri; 03-02-2015 at 03:42 PM..
Old 03-02-2015, 01:17 PM
Orc

OP.

make humans in Qeynos. make youngest magician. make older necro. make self enchanter.

teach them pets. teach them nukes. you do crowd control and keep shit safe/provide mana

god i gotta do everything myself
Old 03-02-2015, 03:39 PM
Large Bat

I'd go Iksar and make the group Shaman, Necro, Monk. Lizards are always "cool" to kids, there's lots of leveling zones close to each other, and Kurn's tower is pretty badass for them to enjoy.

Both have feign death at later levels, older one plays the monk so he can do the pulling (forget about split pulls, just have them man up), younger one plays the necro so he can just sent in pet and lifetap or whatever else. No need to any advanced tactics.

As for the experience penalty, who cares? This game is about leveling and enjoying the ride so delaying it a bit won't hurt anyone.
Old 03-02-2015, 04:01 PM
Fire Giant

Kids these days have the attention span to play EQ still?

Blue
: Seniksin | Jarshale
Red: Sieg | Cazissa
Old 03-02-2015, 04:17 PM
Sarnak

This is a bit late, but the dynamic among 3 people, especially beginners should definitely be 'Healer, Caster, Melee' and for that I'd say Dark Elf, Elf, Human or Iksar starting strategies

One warrior/monk, One necro/mage, and you on the shaman (or some other priest) would be an extremely effective and easy way to get your kids into the game. Priest classes in general are the strongest archetype, so if you can take care of them you will have a lot of room for error. And as far as 'errors' are concerned, you should let your kids try leading you around as soon as possible so they can learn and you can teach very organically and nothing feels 'forced.'

Above all, if you just play the game, it'll be awesome. So what if you're killing dark blues in the middle of Field of Bone. Your kids will learn and eventually get the hunger. Just gotta be patient. I've introduced a lot of friends to this game and got the whole gamut of reactions.

Also, Christ on a Stick, if you can, make sure you have some good Kunark weapons and +55 rings at least for everyone. Jade and Black Sapphire jewelry is also extremely good at low levels. That will make everything SO SO much better.

"... I don't think I remember him digging for this long..."

The A-Team

twitch.tv/crexxus
Last edited by Waedawen; 03-02-2015 at 04:31 PM..
Old 03-02-2015, 11:27 PM
Large Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by jturkydurk [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
OP.

make humans in Qeynos. make youngest magician. make older necro. make self enchanter.

teach them pets. teach them nukes. you do crowd control and keep shit safe/provide mana

god i gotta do everything myself
I went with above, only Wiz for Nec and we will give it a try sometime this week. I was going to level up a bit so I can just help them with levels 1-4. Grouping at those levels is almost a waste it seems.

Thanks everyone for the input. I will post what the experience is like.
Old 03-03-2015, 12:58 AM
Sarnak

Back in 2001 my 5 year old nephew played a Mage and did very well. He also picked up healing really quick, sometimes playing my cleric in zones like howling stones when I needed to take an extended break. Although all he did was heal and not some of the other stuff a good cleric can do the group was just happy they didn't have to lose their cleric. Back then clerics on fennin ro were very rare.
Old 03-04-2015, 12:38 AM
Planar Protector

What will be fun to hear about, is their reaction to having other players wave at them, and they get to talk to gnomes, and barbarians, and elves, and big fat OGRES!!

"Dad! They keep scratching their butts!!!"
Old 03-04-2015, 03:52 AM
Banned

I think this is awesome. Great way to bring the family together around something that really is educating. I somewhat attribute my above average intelligence to learning the words in EQ at a young age (started around 11 in 2001). Critical thinking, tactics, support, team work, people skills(to some extent...). This game does loads for real world skills.

Im sure its too late, but i think maybe mage/monk and your sham would be a sick trio. mage is fun as hell if you are a newby to the game, and monk is simple enough to learn and be a beast. Sham great support for both. Good luck!
Old 03-05-2015, 06:29 AM
Decaying Skeleton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pookieson [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I think this is awesome. Great way to bring the family together around something that really is educating. I somewhat attribute my above average intelligence to learning the words in EQ at a young age (started around 11 in 2001). Critical thinking, tactics, support, team work, people skills(to some extent...). This game does loads for real world skills.

Im sure its too late, but i think maybe mage/monk and your sham would be a sick trio. mage is fun as hell if you are a newby to the game, and monk is simple enough to learn and be a beast. Sham great support for both. Good luck!
I fell into this boat too. I probably started tinkering with the game in 2000. I was about 9/10. My dad gave me my first character (an Enchanter) I probably played 1-10 and then he passed it back to me at like level 50 and I got myself to 60. I also leveled a Ranger from 1-50 primarily on my own (outside of some minor twink gear).

I can honestly say without rose tinted glasses that I was pretty solid Enchanter (in general and not just for my age). I think if you just have some patience and provide your kid with the right resources to succeed he can play any class as long as it's fun for them. I loved playing my Chanter even more than I enjoyed my Ranger.
Closed Thread