Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 08-10-2011, 11:46 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubbles [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
it's how you kill 4 seafuries at once, while you are root / rotting the other 3. If you are aggro kiting you're running more than you are sitting. If you are fear kiting you lose the 1 key aspect of necro : control over mob. Obviously some places are more conducive to fear kiting than others (factoring in pathing, roamers, etc) but especially at lower levels unless the target is undead you'll drain more mana casting fear than you'd lose tossing an extra dot while aggro kiting to make up for the dps loss of a moved/nonfeared mob.

Probably the main reason pet tanking + tap tanking is being advocated a bit here is the level range of the island we're discussing.. at 44 necros get DMF, pact of shadow, and a pet who can finally take some hits. Pet dmg, heals, , along with taps are unresistable damage/survivability. When your other option is Venom of the Snake and Assy Toes and getting dooming darkness to stick while spamming fear... well.. lets just say we'll have differing opinions on whats 'efficient' for both the seasoned and up'n'coming necro.
fear sea furies into the sea. root rot 3-4 others.

edit: sometimes those corpses could get bugged and you can't loot them. but isn't that big of a deal. If you do it right you can let fear wear off and let them wander back to you on the beach before they die, and then fear another out to sea.

edit2: you can also charm the higher lvl Spec and kill sea furies with it by fear kiting (dunno how well this works anymore now that charm is wonky, but i did it back in the day on my necro)
Last edited by TR Spokesman; 08-10-2011 at 11:49 PM..
Old 08-11-2011, 07:29 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupaflyIRL [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
You shouldn't be casting anything but the appropriate level boil blood/life drain dots at lvl 44 on seafuries due to the negative resist check, venom of the snake will be resisted about 2/3 times at that level on the mid to higher level cyclopses and asystole is worthless to begin with. The #1 key aspect of a necro is not control over the mob its efficiency and mana regen. Why would you even need "control over the mob" like fearing is some kind of death trap in an outdoor area like that.
we agree that anything MR or poison/disease based isn't efficient mana use. However fear-kiting relies on fear + darkness.. both mr based, and very, very little dmg for the mana spent. I'll grant you pet tanking doesnt really shine until 49 when bond of death allows for a lot more pacts to be cast without a strain on your hps.

As for mana regen, necros have it darn good. as far as 'control' goes, i'll delve into it in my next post, which deals with xp areas. Anyone fear kiting is doing so outdoors and with the absence of a solid ZEM. Which doenst lend to efficiency at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupaflyIRL [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Also, that section on "throwing an extra dot" while aggro kiting is retarded, you waste way more mana aggro kiting and casting an extra dot than you do sitting for the duration of a 100 mana fear, or a 60 mana FD to let your pet finish the mob off. The goal of a successful kill for a necro is to remain sitting for the largest percentage of the kill as is possible.
And you're the one wasting mana on fear + a low dmg dooming darkness. If i need to chain fear and darkness for the privilege of sitting, then i'm not exactly 'winning' am i? [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uthgaard View Post
Most of the people with bad experiences with me hang out in R&F, shocking, looks like I'm doing something right.
Old 08-11-2011, 08:20 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by knottyb0y [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Very good point. I feel like fear kiting is effective when you are fighting something too powerful for you, am I correct in this assumption?
Yeah, fear kiting is for mobs that simply hit way too hard for your pet (or you) to handle. Whats weird is what a lot of people remember from live: necro + rogue/ranger/monk/dps fear-kite duo isn't nearly as effective here with smaller hit boxes and faster (even when snared) moving mobs. Most necros i've seen (myself included) generally when duoing with a melee usually just treat the melee like a pet and pact to keep the melee alive while dots n pet do the rest of the non-pc dps. Monks are especially good for that task.

Quote:
Originally Posted by knottyb0y [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
So is tap tanking a viable option in say a dungeon. I have been toying with the idea of focusing my gear primarily towards AC and +HP with +mana and INT secondary. The question is would the boost in HP and AC combined with your Lifetap Over Time spells and lifetap dds be a decent way to take out a camp or exp grind on. I would imagine rooting the mob would be useful for when you need to back off and get mana/hp. I guess the idea is that your tap spells aren't 100% mana efficient if you are at full hp, and I don't know this for sure, but our pets aren't viable tanks(correct me if I'm wrong). By spreading the love between your pet and your hp and landing some taps it seems like you might be pretty efficient.

just a thought.
AC is capped pretty low for cloth wearers. HPs are the most important stat though, by far, since your Hit points are the basis for your mana regen, as well as what you use when you take hits for your pet, take hits while you deal with snare/fear/root resists. and what you draw off of pacting healing to your pet or another player.

You will always do well to keep hps as high as possible. HP (not STA) gear is preferable since STA - hp ratio for casters is something silly like 2-1 to maybe 3-1 at 60... simply put, you'll always do far better getting +hp items vs. +sta items if your goal is higher max hps.

Basic hp gear worth buying:
Plat Fire Wedding Rings (5ac/55 hps) jewelcrafted
Cloak of the Icebear? (8ac 10hps)
Carved Ivory mask (2ac 4agi 10hps)
Golden Jaded Bracelets (2ac 15hp 15 mana) jewelcrafted
Kobold Hide Boots (5ac 3agi 10 hps)

Higher level hp gear worth having:
Hooded Black Cloak (8ac 5str 45hps)
Djarn's Ring (9agi 80hps)
Black Sapphire Electrum Earrings (2ac 35 hps 25 mana)
Black Sapphire Platinum Necklace (55hp / 55mana)
Rokkyls Channeling Crystal (50hps, other less important stuff)
Staff of the Waterwalker (2hb +100hps, other stats)
Idol of the Thorned (10ac 7str 10sta)

is a basic rundown.

as for the rest of your post:

Tap spells arent royally efficient.. BUT. they are 100% unresistable so it's not as bad as you think. Your undead DD line is also very good at hitting at at or near max, as well.

You'll have to learn dungeons on your own. Everyone does dungeons their own way. Remember that root is your friend, lulls are good, but duoing with a Monk/SK/Enc/CLR type that can split easier than you can and add heals/dps/etc is even easier.. just because you can solo doesn't mean it's the best road. I've always found duoing to be the xp sweet spot of safety + constant killing, without 5 other ppl to roll against.. Honestly, anytime you have more than 3-4 ppl in a group there's always 1 or 2 afk and it's rarely as efficient as it should be.

Above all else. Bertoxx gave you root, feign, a pet, and harmshield for a reason. Never feel bad about trying something that doesnt work out and having to feign, resummon a pet and start all over. Other classes die, you get the luxury of learning without paying the penalty. In my experience, you will find a small group of people you enjoy duoing/trioing with and that's what will keep bringing back to log in and have fun. Soloing is boring, and anything in a dungeon is safer as well as more fun and rewarding with a buddy or two. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Quote:
Most of the people with bad experiences with me hang out in R&F, shocking, looks like I'm doing something right.
Old 08-11-2011, 08:41 AM
Fire Giant

@TR Spokesman -- My #1 pet peeve was trying to loot furries in water, so i hated having them over the ocean when it was time to finish them off. That's a personal annoyance of mine tho. Generally i always did furies for loot first and xp second. I hated the thought of losing even once corpse to my laziness heh.

I also never thought to charm a spec. That would have been pretty boss back in the day when charm was uber. Course back then there was always a druid or wiz quadding the specs.

As for Athiyk.. I agree with basically everything he says. He's much better at wording when it comes to this stuff than i'll ever be.

Quote:
Old 08-11-2011, 09:42 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubbles [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
@TR Spokesman -- My #1 pet peeve was trying to loot furries in water, so i hated having them over the ocean when it was time to finish them off. That's a personal annoyance of mine tho. Generally i always did furies for loot first and xp second. I hated the thought of losing even once corpse to my laziness heh.

I also never thought to charm a spec. That would have been pretty boss back in the day when charm was uber. Course back then there was always a druid or wiz quadding the specs.

As for Athiyk.. I agree with basically everything he says. He's much better at wording when it comes to this stuff than i'll ever be.
Yeah, I lost a few in the water before I figured out the right dot/fear combo to use on them to where they would come back to the beach to die. Made it pretty simple then. (worst is having dino loot rot underwater tho).

and yeah, most of the time a druid or someone would be doing spectres, but every now and then you could steal the higher lvl ones to use kill furies with.
Old 08-11-2011, 10:26 AM
Sarnak

Idol of the thorned isn't that great since as a pure caster our sta to hp conversion is fairly weak. If you can't find a good +hp item for a slot it's good to focus on maximizing mana pool as mana pool size is still very important for oh shit situations.
Old 08-11-2011, 11:04 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Idol of the thorned isn't that great since as a pure caster our sta to hp conversion is fairly weak. If you can't find a good +hp item for a slot it's good to focus on maximizing mana pool as mana pool size is still very important for oh shit situations.
ya its a matter of personal preference. Really the only two alternatives are the Dagger of Marnek and the Dustcryers Ball.. For me, i like the AC and the hp boost, and extra STR is always good for carrying around extra plat and loots.

@TR -- Dino was the worst, since if you were fearing him he'd always run as far out into the water as possible to spite you, and only when low health. it's like he knew 'this time i finally have a rare gem he wants, it's time to take one for the team and die as far out in the ocean as possible!.

Quote:
Old 08-11-2011, 05:30 PM
Fire Giant

One more thing to add about the beneficial side of fear kiting - I didn't see it in the posts yet and apologies if I am simply re-iterating: Fearing is a great tactic to use against caster mobs, if conditions allow it.

Regarding Dagger of Marnek and Dustscriers Ball... I recently had the option to choose one of the other for my Necro. Although I was attracted to the ball because of the higher "leet" factor, I went with the dagger. Although they are pretty close to each other stat-wise, I judged that the dagger actually edged out the ball. Anyone have a dissenting opinion on that?
Old 08-11-2011, 05:39 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwatt [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
One more thing to add about the beneficial side of fear kiting - I didn't see it in the posts yet and apologies if I am simply re-iterating: Fearing is a great tactic to use against caster mobs, if conditions allow it.

Regarding Dagger of Marnek and Dustscriers Ball... I recently had the option to choose one of the other for my Necro. Although I was attracted to the ball because of the higher "leet" factor, I went with the dagger. Although they are pretty close to each other stat-wise, I judged that the dagger actually edged out the ball. Anyone have a dissenting opinion on that?
I have the dagger too. The stats are very close, 3int 15hp, or 2int 30mana
I'd personally take the ball due to the +30 mana since the 200 cap is so easy to hit, and 15hp is laughable. The deciding factor for me was that the dagger was like 300p, and the only ball I found in EC the guy was 'taking offers' and said suggested I start in the neighborhood of 4k. LoL.

Edit: I should have hit the wiki instead of my memory. the Dagger is 3int 15mana, not hp. I like the ball, but not at 10x the price.
Last edited by quellren; 08-11-2011 at 05:41 PM..
Old 08-11-2011, 08:57 PM
Fire Giant

Reason the ball is so spendy is because the classes that actually care about thier max mana (Wiz/Mag/Enc), it's the only option.. And the dagger is necro only. Since we're just as happy with hitpoints it's a no-brainer.

And like i said, i use idol of the thorned simply for the hps and STR boost (i also wear a TBB).. After you've played a necro for a while you'll realize that the only stat that's going to matter in the long run is maxxing your STR so you can hold more PP and loots in between bank runs. lol and that's the truth.

Quote:
Closed Thread