Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 06-12-2012, 02:47 PM
Sarnak

Default The Trio!

Hey gang,

I'm playing with 2 other friends, one of which has a shaman and is waiting for me and my buddy to level up.

I wanted to know what you'd consider to be a powerhouse trio to group with and stick together would be.

I mean, we enjoy unique roles and kiting. But you can't do that in a dungeon, with close quarters.

So necro / ranger may be out of the question. We figure we need SOME sort of tank. Maybe a healer ? (shaman could do that).

And a hard DPS right?

What would compliment eachother really well. Buffs and such.

THANKS for any information.

Also, we need to be able to run to eachother (race wise). Unless I can grab someone in game to guide us, and bind. Maybe ressurect if we die from a Puma, ha.

Thanks again.
Old 06-12-2012, 02:55 PM
Planar Protector

Shaman+monk+anything makes a pretty good trio. A variety of trips would work though. Cleric, tank and ench is another great one. Even the ranger necro shaman is doable. Especially if you pick outdoor dungeons where ranger can harmony(Casio Thule, karnor, city of mist), but it can work elsewhere as well since all 3 of you can root for crowd control, necro gets a short term mez and ranger and necro can help out shaman a bit with the heals. Most trios can find a way to make it work, even indoors, but some may not be as efficient as others
Old 06-12-2012, 02:56 PM
Kobold

If you don't mind relying heavily on charm, shaman + enchanter + cleric/mage/necro/druid/wizard. You wouldn't have to rely on charm as much if you had mage/necro for the third, but charm IS amazing if you want to use it. Dru/wiz for third is less of a POWERHOUSE option than the others imo but you do get ports then.

You really can do almost anything when you've got a shaman in the trio. You could do shaman + monk/sk/pal/war + anything else. Just kind of bias the third class depending on what the second is. If you have a monk, the third could be anything. If you have a paladin or SK, you'll want a higher DPS class in the third spot (rogue, monk, necro, mage being the highest). If you have a warrior, you'll probably want a third that can lull/FD split/help CC, or else your shaman will be busy with rooting and slowing and healing every time you pull something.

Sidenote - since you're starting off fresh, the more you can rely on pets and spells instead melee, the better off you are in terms of being a powerhouse. Melee DPS and tanks are great, yes, but only with great gear. But that killing machine charmed pet who has cleric buffs, shaman buffs, and enchanter buffs, who is chewing through shaman-slowed, rooted mobs one at a time while the cleric CHs him and you and your 2 buddies are able to med constantly? He doesn't give a shit if you are all carrying epics and high-end gear. You'll do just as well with your ench wearing a bunch of cheap charisma gear while the shaman sports banded and the cleric has crappy wisdom gear.
Last edited by Namegen_Isterrible; 06-12-2012 at 03:08 PM..
Old 06-12-2012, 03:15 PM
Kobold

There is no 'best' really. You could go with various different group builds, each would have pros and cons. But if you are talking about going in to dungeons and killing almost anything with just three people, then for me the best choice would be Warrior, Cleric, Necro.

Warrior is the best tank and can do a bit of damage. Cleric is the best healer, and will keep the Warrior alive no matter what. Yeah the Shaman can slow but some mobs will still manage to do a lot of damage and the Shaman won't be able to keep up with heals. And Necro is the best third option because they are a DPS who unlike Wizzies and such, will never need to med much, and have utility like Mez and FD for pulling/splitting.

The thing with Necros though is that it takes a skilful player to make the most of them. In fact a lot of people in this game don't even realise a necro can mez or heal or whatever else, just because most people who play necros are sucky. If one of you is good with their mouse and keys and quick thinking though, then put them as necro and the Warrior and Cleric will need to do nothing more than tank n spank. You will lack the ports and sow and stuff that others could offer, but again, if it's just about going anywhere and killing anything, then this would be my choice.

But in none min/maxer terms, I would say any tank + healer + dps combo would work well.
Last edited by batkiller; 06-12-2012 at 03:20 PM..
Old 06-12-2012, 03:29 PM
Fire Giant

sham/monk/necro is a combo i play alot on my sham its pretty insanly imba. there is almost no need for heals as you get higher lvl with sham slows and monks already imba damage avoidance. also ive said it before and will say it again monk is functional with shitty easy to obtain gear unlike all other meelee. if the persons skills are maxed /they are good at learning dungeon pathing / they always have shurikens and bandages (grouped with a 55 monk who didnt have bandages and bind was at like 50 cause "they dont really need it very often")

necro brings the extra punch to make fights fast and alot of utility (dont discount the necro heal) crowd control, pet, charm, FD ect

Ench is nice then you have max haste and max slow in the party as well as both hp and mana regen. lots of powerful stuff you can do with charm and mes.

could go with Wiz or Druid so you guys can make groups with little or no effort and get around easily. evacs ect

cler is out cause they dont bring anything extra to the table. (if your friend that was a sham was an ench then Monk/cler would hands down be best pick but not with sham). only thing game changing cler would bring is res but there is alot of clers on server not too hard to get a res usually

warrior is out because wars are all gear there so not good for new players. the skill of a war (imo) is a wars understanding of all other classes since wars are all auto attack and gear its about telling other people how to do shit well. (seriously that is a talent)

rouge out

could pick a hybrid tank but again same with war alot of gear dependancy for a new player

ps
love what is the best trio threads
Last edited by godbox; 06-12-2012 at 03:32 PM..
Old 06-12-2012, 03:29 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by batkiller [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
There is no 'best' really. You could go with various different group builds, each would have pros and cons. But if you are talking about going in to dungeons and killing almost anything with just three people, then for me the best choice would be Warrior, Cleric, Necro.

Warrior is the best tank and can do a bit of damage. Cleric is the best healer, and will keep the Warrior alive no matter what. Yeah the Shaman can slow but some mobs will still manage to do a lot of damage and the Shaman won't be able to keep up with heals. And Necro is the best third option because they are a DPS who unlike Wizzies and such, will never need to med much, and have utility like Mez and FD for pulling/splitting.

The thing with Necros though is that it takes a skilful player to make the most of them. In fact a lot of people in this game don't even realise a necro can mez or heal or whatever else, just because most people who play necros are sucky. If one of you is good with their mouse and keys and quick thinking though, then put them as necro and the Warrior and Cleric will need to do nothing more than tank n spank. You will lack the ports and sow and stuff that others could offer, but again, if it's just about going anywhere and killing anything, then this would be my choice.

But in none min/maxer terms, I would say any tank + healer + dps combo would work well.
He didn't ask what was best. He asked for a powerhouse trio.

Warrior + cleric + necro is a pretty good combo. Tank + healer + dps also will generally work well. But neither of these is going to be a powerhouse, especially when your tank (and melee dps, if any) are going to be wearing banded and using crap weapons for the foreseeable future.
Old 06-12-2012, 03:47 PM
Planar Protector

I've always liked Shaman+Druid+Ranger. Yeah, its not the optimal in every situation, but its very workable and fun. The shaman and druid can keep up with the heals, stack dots, add pets, and you got druid evac which is tops for rapidly exiting a bad situation. The ranger is a melee thats very easy to get decent gear for, and can hold aggro through the dots and provide good damage.
Old 06-12-2012, 04:24 PM
Planar Protector

You're better off just picking 2 other casters, preferably pet classes (enchanter/necro, enchanter/cleric or enchanter/mage works fine, although the first two are probably more utility at higher levels unless you have the epic pet). Your melees won't be able to do less aggro than pets and you basically want pets to take all the hits since you can just resummon a pet if it's about to die (whereas you can't as easily resummon a player). Plus some pets are frankly just better than most melees.
Lardna Minch, 18 Warrior

Project 1999 (PvP):
[50 (sometimes 49) Bard] Wolfram Alpha (Half Elf) ZONE: oasis
Old 06-12-2012, 04:30 PM
Planar Protector

Two Mages and a Enchanter. End of story.
Old 06-12-2012, 04:36 PM
Fire Giant

You have a healer already, and a Shaman is one of the best.

Since you want to do dungeons with a small group, one of you should play an Enchanter. In those tight quarters you are talking about, nothing else can keep everything under control as well.

If you go that route, then the other one should probably be a tank (Shadowknight would be great, but I'm biased) or high-dps+pet class like a Mage.

What you don't get with the above is evacs and rezzes.