Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Rants and Flames

Closed Thread

Old 09-04-2011, 12:48 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by booter [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
...worth losing real developers, delaying content...
...and, I would add, a lower player population. There are players (probably a lot of them) from back in the day, who hear about P1999, visit the home page, see the recent threads, say "wtf, I'm not 12", and never return.

Getting rid of R&F, putting in some at least semi-mature forum rules, and putting in some real penalties for breaking those rules - would reap huge benefits in the long run. imho.
Old 09-04-2011, 12:57 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ektar [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
For example, an open inquisition by "exdev 1" against "exdev 2" was not for shits n giggles. Can you honestly say that, because he merely posted it in rnf, it can or should be ignored? like lol it's in rnf so it's not real. Unfortunately this is not the case.
So if it was posted in server chat we'd be having this conversation in RnF right now, yeah?

I don't know. It disturbs me, though, to see RnF painted as the insubordinate in this scenario, when RnF did nothing to anyone. Honestly, stifling the dissenters is to me more damning than anything anyone has ever posted in RnF or anywhere. Because dudes, actions really do speak louder than words.

Or we could just ban words, maybe. That would probably solve everything.
Old 09-04-2011, 01:03 PM
Sarnak

wow this conversation is actually going good. We all love this game, and i think we can all agree all this talking in R&F has been digging us into a hole.
Old 09-04-2011, 01:07 PM
Sarnak

RnF is there for a reason, and the option to opt out is present. I don't see the problem people have with it, if you don't like whats going on in there don't look.
Old 09-04-2011, 01:11 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malrubius [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
There are players (probably a lot of them) from back in the day, who hear about P1999, visit the home page, see the recent threads, say "wtf, I'm not 12", and never return.
That's the emu community.

This has been my first foray into EQemu, and I have been seriously disappointed. I expected to play this game with the people I played with back in 1999. Back then, the average player was in his or her thirties. Back then.

This server? Average age is 20-25, maybe younger, and it's compounded by the fact that it's free and there's this inarticulate, racist, homophobic EQemu PvP Borg shitting up the joint.

I never claimed that this place's RnF was of even adequate quality, but I think that's more a result of the community than the concept. I mean, this isn't the only message board on the interwebs, and P99's isn't the only RnF section, but it's definitely tough to read most of the threads. In conclusion, I mostly blame PvP, youth and Twitter.
Old 09-04-2011, 01:16 PM
Aviak

RnF has not been used the way it was ment to be in the last several weeks. People are using it as a soapbox and exploiting the ruleless nature of it to inflame the community over grossley exaggerated issues regarding GM/Staff desicions. If the posted rules about not questioning GM/Staff desicions were enforced more appropriately I could get back to telling people that TMO is full of bad players and that tiggles ia fat.

There is a place for legitimate discussions regarding server issues. It's called server chat. Make valid points in a reasonable way and good things happen.
Old 09-04-2011, 01:19 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingturtle [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
That's the emu community.

This has been my first foray into EQemu, and I have been seriously disappointed. I expected to play this game with the people I played with back in 1999. Back then, the average player was in his or her thirties. Back then.

This server? Average age is 20-25, maybe younger, and it's compounded by the fact that it's free and there's this inarticulate, racist, homophobic EQemu PvP Borg shitting up the joint.

I never claimed that this place's RnF was of even adequate quality, but I think that's more a result of the community than the concept. I mean, this isn't the only message board on the interwebs, and P99's isn't the only RnF section, but it's definitely tough to read most of the threads. In conclusion, I mostly blame PvP, youth and Twitter.
Sadly this server is packed full of all the people who were 8-13 years old when EQ came out. So when they log in, their nostalgia makes them that age once again.
Old 09-04-2011, 01:24 PM
Planar Protector

I was 12 when I played eq.

DON'T BE HATIN
Old 09-04-2011, 01:34 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ektar [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I was 12 when I played eq.

DON'T BE HATIN
Really?

I find it unfathomable that people paid fifteen bucks a month back in the age of AOL for their twelve year-old kids to play an online video game.

I guess I just don't remember anyone being that young, either. Most of my guildies were at least a decade older than me, and I was 19 in 1999. The sub-based model was a real barrier of entry back then. It was my own money, and I had a hard time justifying it even though I had been searching for an MMORPG without knowing what it was. No one I played with lived at home with their parents, even.

Did your parents play? That's really the only feasible scenario I can see wherein a twelve year-old is playing EQ in 1999. Is that what this server is comprised of? The forgotten children of EverQuest addicts?

What have we done?
Old 09-04-2011, 01:38 PM
Fire Giant

Rants and Flames were made for in game issues. Such as KSing people, training people, fucking over other raids.

Starting threads just to attack people personally, spamming the fuck out of it like Tiggles, Visage, other moronic people, or just threads that are so off base of whats going on in game. That's the issue.

Real game issues? Yea, post about it and spread the word. But to just talk smack to other guilds about how 30 people just spammed 1k life tap and making fun of the other guild for losing? Really?
Closed Thread