Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 08-01-2011, 01:59 PM
Planar Protector

Default Uthgard (DAOC)

Hey all,

Is there anyone here playing or would be interested in playing DAOC on Uthgard?

I'm starting a new P99 DAOC Project, in Midgard this time around, and I'm trying to see if and how many people would be interested.

I'm personally a vet of that server, as well as DAOC in general, there is lots of PVP held on a daily basis with a large population despite what you may have heard from other sources.

Most of my active friends are already in mid-high 40s, and some just started a couple of days ago and already creeping up to 20s. Solo progression can be slow and isn't as rewarding as it is in EQ, but Group progression can take you much much further, in PVE and PVP both.

While most people wait until 50 to PVP, that's not how we do it. Our group PVP starts in low 20s, as we gank players up to 10-15 levels above us, its been done people! XP gained from PVP is also quite amazing, it makes for a much faster progression up the level ladder.

Here's some info I posted about the server earlier if anyone is interested or wants to give this a shot, let me know.

http://www.project1999.org/forums/sh...ad.php?t=27688

My chars in Midgard are: Scrooge, 50 Skald; Jako, 49 Healer; Ceares, 41 Shaman; Spazz, 44 Spiritmaster. But if enough of you guys are willing to start a new group together, I'd make a new character to show you all what the game is all about, pve and PVP wise!
DAOC Class Descriptions by Crith (for all 3 realms, with some comparisons to EQ classes)
DAOC: Uthgard Revamp (old thread with some useful info)
"Sometimes a Majority means, that most fools are on the same side"
Last edited by Scrooge; 08-01-2011 at 02:59 PM..
Old 08-01-2011, 02:03 PM
Planar Protector

yea i do play daoc uthgard, names vilcrist, lvl 17 sm, i'm not too rich, but i can give some gold to noobies, ive casually played there the last 3 weeks, and im in midgard
Old 08-01-2011, 02:06 PM
Planar Protector

I love DAOC, I would be down to try it out. I played midgard back in the day. I was a SM and Zerker only got to like RR4
Old 08-01-2011, 02:10 PM
Planar Protector

yea i started a hunter, love the ranger in this game, but i can never lvl the guy, so wanted to try a hunter, figuring it was like the one in wow, and it sounds like blizzard stole the hunter idea from daoc, someone told me to try sm, and enjoy the class very much
Old 08-01-2011, 02:27 PM
Planar Protector

Well, if you are planning to play a caster in DAOC, there are some things you should know. Unlike EQ, you cannot "channel" spells through being hit, there are ways around it though, like the Quick-Cast ability which all casters receive at level 5, as well as some RA (AA) abilities you can get through PVP. This is one of the reasons why playing a caster in DAOC can be much harder than EQ, but at the same time more rewarding in PVP, especially if you know what you're doing.

DAOC has its own special abilities for every class, some shared some unique, much like the AA system of EQ, but the points in DAOC can only be obtained through PVP exclusively.

If we can get atleast 4+ people interested in playing together, we can build a very nice group. I'm not a fan of "setup groups", I'd much rather prefer people play what they want to play, but my suggestion would be to start with a melee based group to get the grasp of the game (and the server), atleast for the first PVP tour.

Here are some decent sites which explain what the Midgard classes are all about:

List of Midgard Classes - Allakhazam

Claasses of Camelot - Old School site with various types of info, useful especially for its Realm Ability (DAOC AA) Calculator Tool

Character Builder - This here is a tool which allows you to see what abilities (spells/styles) you can achieve with different specs at different levels
DAOC Class Descriptions by Crith (for all 3 realms, with some comparisons to EQ classes)
Old 08-01-2011, 02:45 PM
Planar Protector

Also, a hunter is more of a solo type of class, a stealther type in this game. They do get some cool abilities on top of being able to use a bow and spear (the only class in Mid that can), but I'd suggest you try a melee for a first PvP char.

Berserkers are THE melee DPS class of Midgard, right there along with Savages. Berserkers and Savages can both dual wield, but Savages are more along the lines of a Beastmaster without a pet. Berserkers also get this cool ability of going into a berserker rage and turning into half-man-half-bear, allowing them to have a 100% chance to crit with both melee weapons every single hit for a short time. One of the coolest burst-dps abilities in the game, and unique to the Berserker alone!

Savages get some really cool insta-cast ablities though, like haste, dps buff, melee resistance buffs (crush, slash, thrust), and even evade/parry buffs. All these buffs last 15 seconds, and come with a price (they eat a small % of your health when they expire), but are extremely useful in PvP and PVE both.

If anyone here ever followed Norse Mythology, this is what Midgard as a whole is based on.

Thanes are basically descendants of Thor and Odin, they are melees with the power of lightning, they can cast some really neat and powerful spells and at the same time play the role of the tank of the group. Though they are restricted to using Medium Shields, they also get some self buffs which include a self Strenght and Con (Sta) buff, and a Damage Add buff (melee damage enhancer, unresistable).

Warriors are just like they are in EQ, the Main Tank of the realm, and because they are the pure tank, their melee damage table is through the roof much like it is in EQ. They are able to use every type of weapon, and Large Shields, which can block up to 3 targets at once! Like if say 3 players are attacking the Warrior from the front and he has a shield up, he has a chance to block attacks from all 3!

Skalds are the "bards" of the realm, with the best run speed chants, damage add chants, heal song, and a couple of instant-cast DDs. However, their CC ability is very limited, its insta-cast but restricted to a single target with a 30 second recast, they also get instant snare with a very decent range. Every group must have atleast one of these! Speed is a big thing in fast-paced pvp.

Shamans are the main buffers in Midgard, they get the best buffs and some decent healing abilities as well, and a really cool regen spell. They also get some mean DoTs/AE Dots, Disease, and single-target and AOE Roots.

Healers are the main healer class in Midgard, they are also the main CC class in the realm so it is essential to have 1-2 Healer in a full 8-man group, with one Healer being the CCer and the other being the actual Healer.

Depending on how one specs a class, two players can be the same class yet have completely different abilities. This is one of those games that makes you choose between abilities and spells!
Old 08-01-2011, 03:06 PM
Planar Protector

I'm talking to one of my friends from Hibernia on Uthgard, he's willing to join our crusade, possible as an Augmentation-specced Healer!
Old 08-01-2011, 03:32 PM
Planar Protector

We could run pac healers and run a stun group. I could roll a pbaoe Spirit master. Those are always fun
Old 08-01-2011, 03:45 PM
Planar Protector

OK, so this is what we have and need so far:

Skald (hybrid melee/speed/songs) - Varrius (Scrooge), L4 Skald;
Healer (aug-buffer/healer) - Vorhal, L4 Healer;
Healer (buffer/healer/CC) -
Shaman (buffer/healer/dotter) -
Berserker (melee dps) -
Savage (melee dps) - Grendell, L17 SVG;
Thane (hybrid tank) -
Warrior (pure tank) -
-------------
Spiritmaster - Vilcrist, L17 SM (bakkily);
Runemaster - Grendlalike, L14 RM;
Bonedancer -

Let me know what you guys want to try and char name, and this way we can see what we can start with. I'm planning on starting this group tonight around 7-8pm EST.

We can also meet on P99's IRC at: irc.eqemulator.net, #uthgard. I'll be there.
Last edited by Scrooge; 08-02-2011 at 04:11 AM..
Old 08-01-2011, 05:29 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotsirb401 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
We could run pac healers and run a stun group. I could roll a pbaoe Spirit master. Those are always fun
I would really like to try this out as well, but I think this is a bit advanced for newer players, hence why I'd like to build a melee pvp group first, to show everyone the ropes and get the group working together before we try the more advanced groups.

Maybe we should make a bomber group, but I think it requires some prior knowledge of the game and the server in order for it to work properly.

Let's meet on IRC and talk about what classes we can make for the group guys: irc.eqemulator.net:6667, #uthgard.
Closed Thread