Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Casters

Closed Thread

Old 07-21-2017, 12:59 PM
Planar Protector

Erudite with all points in STR. This gives you 85 STR and 122 INT starting out which is very solid. As others have said, race means less to a Mage than any other class. You get an Ultravision ammo slot item. Hide is of limited value since you will almost always have a pet up. You don't really benefit from stacking tons of INT and mana the way a Wizard does, nor do you need to stack HP like a Necro, or balance multiple stats like an Enchanter. You just send in the pet and collect the loot.

It may seem strange to stack STR on an INT caster, but it's the right call in this case. As an example, my Mage has 155 STR and 194 INT wearing modest tunnel-bought gear and farms like a pro. Running around with thousands of plat like it's nothing? Now that's playing a Mage properly.
Old 07-21-2017, 01:03 PM
Planar Protector

Yeah, summoned bags don't reduce the weight of coin or the gear you're wearing, and since STA is not a good investment for a cloth caster, I highly recommend putting points into STR as a Magician or Necromancer and maybe even Wizard. Enchanter is a different story, though, since they need high INT and even higher CHA in order to be viable. Plus they can buff STR innately.

Yes, racial hide will dismiss your pet when it succeeds, but it is an invisibility with an unlimited duration and lacks the chance to break early, so if you ever have a moment when you would normally invis and AFK to med or wait for a spawn or something, hide becomes superior to invis (once it successfully activates). For instance, I use it when I'm sitting LFG at the zone in and don't know how long I'll be there and might step away for a moment.

So races with hide (Dark Elf, Wood Elf, Halfling) have an advantage over races without hide under most circumstances. It's not so important for classes that get hide (Rogue, Ranger, Bard, SK) or Improved Invisibility (Wizard, Enchanter).
Also its pretty hard not to post after you.. not because you have a stimulating(sic), but because you are constantly patrolling RnF and filling it with your spam.
Last edited by Samoht; 07-21-2017 at 01:14 PM..
Old 07-21-2017, 01:03 PM
Planar Protector

erudite
I did 5 STR, 15 STA, 10 INT on my mage back in classic 99. My logic was the str helps carry things I can't put in my 10 slot 100% weight reduction no-rent bags. 15 STA for just that little bit of extra HP at high level and 10 int so I don't have to fully commit to items with int.
My base stats were like ~ 65 str, 95 STA, 127 int (which is enough to level to 60 naked)

Looking back now in velious and even back in kunark.. I wish I did 15 str / 15 sta.
As long as you don't forget you can put all ur heavy stuff in 100% WR bags when you're online,. then move it to non-WR bags when you log out. So STR really only applies for the big parts to coin you can carry. Health is something that's not easy to get real high as a mage so the extra sta helps more than you think,. especially if root nets are runnin low.

---
edit: Mage get's instant invis to animal boots, so that DE hide to dismiss pet is null.
https://wiki.project1999.com/Earthen_Boots
*note- i'm not saying dark elf hide is useless. It's still super fly.
Told this to Rogean, Nilbog & Menden.
Last edited by Baler; 07-21-2017 at 01:19 PM..
Old 07-21-2017, 08:48 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by dafier [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
^^

Perfect. Hide is amazing and helps tremendously in so many situations. If you need afk, /hide then con a mob to make sure they are indif (obviously KOS or even something other than indiff if not hiding), then walk away. If 1 mob is indif every other will be 99% of the time.
Except undead 100% of the time.
Closed Thread