Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Technical Discussion

Old 07-13-2014, 02:56 PM
Aviak

Default Consolidated P99 Mac Install/Update Guide

First off, very little of this is my own work. After spending an unnecessary amount of time and effort to fish out information scattered and buried within an excessively long post and making my own minor updates, I have decided to post a consolidated guide to both a fresh install and future updates to the P99 client. Credit will be given to those whose information I consolidated, linking to original postings. In the likely scenario that I overlook giving credit to someone, please message me with a link to the original information that I have duplicated without credit and I will edit this post accordingly. I have no desire to claim the work of others as my own. Hardware configuration details will be posted at the end of the post. Additionally, I do not currently experience the mouse limitation error that others have posted about, although I couldn't tell you why. I am using a Logitech G5 mouse plugged into a Logitech G15 (original, larger, blue G15) USB port which is plugged into the left side USB port on my laptop and am able to rotate more than 360 degrees dragging my mouse across a 30" wide surface area without issue.

All information used was gathered throughout this thread:
http://www.project1999.com/forums/sh...7&postcount=37

Most of the credit goes to phobus for putting together the guide I used as a starting point for configuring my client.

Additional credit goes to Innova for their contribution here as well. This turned out to be essential for me. http://www.project1999.com/forums/sh...&postcount=270

This guide is for a complete install. To update an existing client, you only need to perform steps 22-24. This is how I updated from V32 to V33.

Prior to using phobus' guide, I needed to visit http://www.winehq.org and install Wine. (I discovered this after the fact, when I was unable to use the guide successfully with the currently linked information.)

0.1 - Download Wineskin Winery from the link above
0.2 - Open Wineskin and update to most current version
0.3 Click the + sign halfway down the window and download an updated engine. For reference I am using WS9Wine1.7.18.
0.4 Update your wrapper if necessary. I am using version 2.6.0.

Continue with phobus' guide below

Quote:
Originally Posted by phobus [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Okay, so I did some troubleshooting today to see if I could figure out why people were having problems on new installs. For some reason, when you run EQ for the first time under WINE, it doesn't create an eqclient.ini. Those of us who copied an existing install were unaffected, but anyone trying to do a fresh install crashed. It seems you can get started by creating a barebones eqclient.ini with only the following:

Code:
[Defaults]
WindowedModeXOffset=1
WindowedModeYOffset=1
WindowedMode=TRUE
[VideoMode]
Width=1024
Height=768
WidthWindowed=1024
HeightWindowed=768
WindowedWidth=1024
WindowedHeight=768
FullscreenBitsPerPixel=32
FullscreenRefreshRate=0
While I was at it, I documented the steps to do a new install from the discs under WINE. Here's the minimum of what you need to do to run EQ under Mac OS X using Avatar's WINE wrapper:
  1. If this is your first time setting up Project 1999, complete steps 2 and 3 (only!) on http://www.eqemulator.net/wiki/wikka...akka=PlayGuide to setup your accounts.
  2. Download the Project 1999 Wine Wrapper from here: http://www.mediafire.com/?ltz58wddkaf30eh
  3. Extract the app into your Applications folder
  4. Right click on the Project 1999 app and choose "Show Package Contents." Inside the Package, you should see three things. A folder name "Contents", a shortcut named "drive_c", and a program named "Wineskin".
  5. Open Wineskin.
  6. Click the button that says “Install Windows Software”
  7. Insert disc 1 of Everquest Titanium, or if you backed up your discs to ISO files, double-click the first one and it’ll mount on your desktop.
  8. Navigate to disc 1 and choose setup.exe.
  9. Follow the installation instructions. When prompted for a destination to install to, change it from the default to C:\P99.
  10. Continue following the installation instructions, inserting/mounting the next disc when prompted.
  11. Once the install is complete, Wineskin will ask you for the main executable. Make sure eqgame.exe is selected and click OK.
  12. Choose “Advanced”
  13. The Windows EXE path should say "/P99/eqgame.exe". Verify that this path is valid. If you named your EQ folder something else, then replace the "P99" with that name. If you installed inside of Program Files, then be sure to add that to the path.
  14. EXE Flags should say "patchme", otherwise EQEmu will not launch.
  15. Click the Tools tab.
  16. Click the Winetricks button.
  17. Under fonts, click the checkbox next to core fonts.
    **EDIT BY ASELE**
    This is the point in time where you need to follow Innova's instructions linked above. I have inserted a slightly more specific version of them here.
    Add the following to step 17... dlls > d3dx9 and settings > glsl = disabled.
    ** END EDIT BY ASELE**
  18. Click the Run button. When prompted if you wish to run Winetricks, click Run.
  19. When it’s done, click Close.
  20. Click "Done" and then "Quit". That should be all the configuration you need to verify for the Wineskin application.
  21. Go back to the Finder window where you were looking inside the Project 1999 package. Open the the drive_c shortcut, and then navigate to your P99 folder. Remove (drag to the trash) the following files:
    Code:
    arena.eqg
    arena_EnvironmentEmitters.txt
    lavastorm.eqg
    nektulos.eqg
    Nektulos_EnvironmentEmitters.txt
    **EDIT BY ASELE**
    I have edited the original link posted by phobus, which linked to the V30 files. It will now link to the current V33 files. Just as he stated in his post, if these files are out of date, PM me and I will update this message.
    **END EDIT BY ASELE**
  22. Download and extract http://www.project1999.com/files/P99Files36.zip (if this link does not work, go to http://www.project1999.org, download the latest patch, and continue with these instructions. Also, PM me a reminder to update this post[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]). Copy the following files into your P99 folder. You will be asked if you wish to replace the existing files; say yes.
    Code:
    dbstr_us.txt
    dsetup.dll
    eqhost.txt
    spells_us.txt
    spellsnew.eff
  23. Copy Resources/GlobalLoad.txt and Resources/loadscreen.jpg from that zip file into your Resources folder, replacing the existing files. DO NOT just copy the Resources folder from the zip file. You will overwrite your existing Resources folder and lose a bunch of needed files, and you will have to start over from the beginning.
  24. Copy everything from within the uifiles/default folder of that zip file to the uifiles/default folder within your P99 folder, replacing any existing files.
  25. Open TextEdit and paste the following:
    Code:
    [Defaults]
    WindowedModeXOffset=1
    WindowedModeYOffset=1
    WindowedMode=TRUE
    [VideoMode]
    Width=1024
    Height=768
    WidthWindowed=1024
    HeightWindowed=768
    WindowedWidth=1024
    WindowedHeight=768
    FullscreenBitsPerPixel=32
    FullscreenRefreshRate=0
  26. Under the Format menu, choose “Make Plain Text.” Save it to your P99 folder (easy way to avoid having to rifle through your system: in Finder, drag one of the files in the P99 folder to TextEdit’s Save As window), and save it as eqclient.ini. Make sure “hide extension” is unchecked.

That should get you into the game. I also suggest installing the updated textures from here as well as replacing the loading and login server screens with Classic versions from here. Of course, you can also install any custom UI you want.

All you guys having issues with black screens, crashing on startup, etc. please try installing from scratch using these instructions and let us know the results. Good luck. =)
Additional observations:
1 - As mentioned in numerous places on these forums, the client did hang (read crash) on my first login attempt, but ran fine afterward.
2 - The quick launch to previous server occasionally freezes, as does using the Return ket at server select to get in, although not very often. I have 100% success using my mouse to click everything.
3 - The game client can sometimes be slow or take an exorbitant amount of time to react to a login or character select, but once I made it in for the first time, things ran quickly and smoothly.
4 - Entering a zone for the first time takes much longer than entering a zone I have entered before (even if it was a previous session.) I'm not sure why this is, but if my computer has seen it once it's fine. This isn't too much of an issue until you swim from the raft in Timorous Deep to the FV boat dock only to have the client take so long to zone into FV for the first time that the boat is long gone by the time you arrive. Minor inconvenience.

Display note. The Apple menu bar does not allow me to drag the EQ Client on top of it, thus forcing the bottom 44 pixels below the viewable portion of the screen. You can fix this by subtracting 44 from the last number of your display resolution manually in your eqclient.ini.

Example:
Code:
Change the following 6 lines in your VIDEOMODE section of your eqclient.ini from

Width=1440
Height=900
WidthWindowed=1440
HeightWindowed=900
WindowedWidth=1440
WindowedHeight=900

to 

Width=1440
Height=856
WidthWindowed=1440
HeightWindowed=856
WindowedWidth=1440
WindowedHeight=856
I use this to run the client at 2560x1396 resolution on a 27" Thunderbolt display.

Configuration:
Hardware Overview:
Model Name: MacBook Pro
Model Identifier: MacBookPro10,1
Processor Name: Intel Core i7
Processor Speed: 2.7 GHz
Number of Processors: 1
Total Number of Cores: 4
L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
L3 Cache: 6 MB
Memory: 16 GB
Boot ROM Version: MBP101.00EE.B03
SMC Version (system): 2.3f36

Intel HD Graphics 4000:
Chipset Model: Intel HD Graphics 4000
Type: GPU
Bus: Built-In
VRAM (Dynamic, Max): 1024 MB
Vendor: Intel (0x8086)
Device ID: 0x0166
Revision ID: 0x0009
gMux Version: 3.2.19 [3.2.8]

NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M:
Chipset Model: NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M
Type: GPU
Bus: PCIe
PCIe Lane Width: x8
VRAM (Total): 1024 MB
Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)
Device ID: 0x0fd5
Revision ID: 0x00a2
ROM Revision: 3688
gMux Version: 3.2.19 [3.2.8]

Displays:
Thunderbolt Display:
Display Type: LCD
Resolution: 2560 x 1440
Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)
Display Serial Number: XXXXXXXXXX
Main Display: Yes
Mirror: Off
Online: Yes
Rotation: Supported
Connection Type: DisplayPort

System Software Overview:
System Version: OS X 10.9.4 (13E28)
Kernel Version: Darwin 13.3.0
Boot Volume: Macintosh HD
Boot Mode: Normal
Computer Name: XXXXXXXXXX’s MacBook Pro
User Name: XXXXXXXXXX
Secure Virtual Memory: Enabled
Time since boot: 6:36
Last edited by Asele; 12-06-2014 at 04:13 PM.. Reason: Updated to reflect V36 files.
Old 10-27-2014, 01:23 PM
Fire Giant

I've tried Phobus' guide, and now your guide. Both from completely fresh installs, and neither have seemed to work. I finish up, and then double click the Project 1999 icon in my applications folder, and it bounces once, then just sits there like its open, but there nothing happening. if i click the icon, the top menu bar on my macbook pro will show Project 1999, edit, window, and help, in the menu bar, but theres no actual eq window up

I found and DL'd a copy of EQTitanium from a "Friend", and then followed these instructions step by step, and i'm positive i haven't missed anything.

Macbook Pro
15inch Late 2011
2.2ghz intel corei7
4gb 1333mhz ddr3 memory
AMD Radeon HD 6750M 512mb graphics
osx 10.9.5

Asher
Old 12-06-2014, 04:10 PM
Aviak

Sorry for the exceedingly late reply. I have been out of the country and out of touch with most things not work related for some time. I'll mull this over and see what I may be able to come up with.