Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 10-03-2011, 12:58 PM
Sarnak

Default Can Rangers Tank Group Level Content?

Rangers tend to be the hot new topic.

They are a class with the taunt skill, but they use chain armor. Is it viable for a ranger to be a group tank (not raid obviously). At what point does their ability (if they have it) to tank taper off? How much is equipment a factor in the equation (warriors can tank old world up to 45 in bronze, does a ranger need to be elitely geared just to make the cut?).

What are some good gear/weapons for a low level ranger on a budget?

Any other advice would be welcome
Old 10-03-2011, 01:01 PM
Planar Protector

It is possible to tank deep sebilis with a properly tuned group (slows and big heals). Overall, however, I think there's a falloff after 55, as xp mobs like to hit harder and fast. Honestly you'd have better luck leveling in plane of hate than normal kunark xp spots.
Old 10-03-2011, 01:13 PM
Sarnak

we used rangers as offtanks in kael, ntov, and ssra, so any groupable content is no problem for a well geared ranger. This was pre-pop. With pop gear we had a wizard tank AoW just for giggles.
Old 10-03-2011, 01:17 PM
Sarnak

Yep, they'll do fine for XP groups. It'll be worse than a plate tank, so you shouldn't ever want a ranger to do it, but they can.
Old 10-03-2011, 01:28 PM
Sarnak

I have tanked numerous groups in KC mainly with my ranger. It is pretty easy to do even without CC. Big heals are a must though. Rangers can slow with Swarmcaller which also doubles as a great aggro generator as well. With some fancy CC and Harmony rangers can single pull any outside zone or dungeon.
Old 10-03-2011, 01:34 PM
Sarnak

I keep hearing "big heals" in these statements, does this mean a Ranger requires a Cleric as healer if tanking in a group? Would a Shaman suffice(particularly with slow on the npc)? How well can a druid do in the situation?
Old 10-03-2011, 01:38 PM
Sarnak

if you have slow, shaman works fine.
I have tanked KC, Seb, CoM...
druid would be tricky, because then it becomes dependent on the proc of swarmcaller to slow.
Old 10-03-2011, 01:58 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by knottyb0y [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I keep hearing "big heals" in these statements, does this mean a Ranger requires a Cleric as healer if tanking in a group? Would a Shaman suffice(particularly with slow on the npc)? How well can a druid do in the situation?
By time Velious comes around the majority of priests have heals big enough to keep a ranger up, regardless of mob type. A torpor shaman can keep up a normally equipped ranger well enough to do named content up through Velious (Lodizal). It's not efficient, and that is the only reason why I said that rangers are not the best of tanks post-55 without big heals, but it can (and will) be done.
Old 10-03-2011, 03:46 PM
Planar Protector

It's not a matter if they can tank it, it's a matter of if the healer can heal it. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

In a solid group with good dps and a healer who isn't an idiot you can destroy almost anything that doesn't two-shot a tank. Having the pseudo-tank with decent ac and hps is key too.

As you know healing is a factor of tanking efficiency. CH is a key of the more hps the better. Maintaining efficiency is the important thing once you get past the "can it be done?" question.

At least Ranger's can keep aggro with spells. Often that's where half your healer's mana goes...to the rogue...then the monk...then the wizard. Etc.
Old 10-03-2011, 04:23 PM
Aviak

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Real rangers tank dragons.
Closed Thread