Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 08-02-2013, 08:17 PM
Orc

I mentioned it on the thread in off topic, and I'll mention it here, too. Combat is the end-all be-all for me. EQ1 might not have been rocket science, but any game that will put math nerds going at it for days and weeks parsing out all things such as damage mitigation, proc rates, hate generation, etc., as discussed like it was on The Steel Warrior, that was the game for me.

Abilities and whirlwinds and stuff, just does not really do it for me, even as superficial a level as we got to see. If you noticed, the low level mobs weren't fighting, but the higher single mobs were fighting. Those honey whatevers were just standing in ranks for the warrior to do his jump splash attack.
Old 08-02-2013, 08:18 PM
The Protector of Sunder

I personally thought the whole thing looked amazing and is incredibly ambitious. The fighting system seems set up to work across platforms with controllers, basically what I saw was an MMO that plays like a console game which I'm cool with. I like the idea of an evolving history based on player interactions and getting to part of that from day 1 is something I can get behind. Are the graphics and mechanics campy? Sure but it's a fucking fantasy game, if you want realistic anatomy go play a shooter.

There was nothing I disliked in that launch. It's not EQ but you guys will never get that again. That doesn't mean you can't still make new memories and have a great time playing another MMO. If they can keep it from being buggy and exploitable you might have a new #1 MMO in the distant future.

Also, being able to remove the bridge was one of the coolest things I've seen in an MMO bar none. If you'd rather med and spam the same spell over and over at a static spawn point to that type of combat then you're fucking weird.

My one concern is how raiding fits into this concept. Since they removed levels but instead use a skill tree system (w/o levels?) you'll still see player specializing I suppose. Also, why no view of the UI?
Old 08-02-2013, 08:25 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingturtle [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Honestly couldn't care less about combat in games any more. I'm tired of killing stuff. I like building stuff, though. Just goes to show I had enough Gi Joes and Transformers and He-Man action-figures as a kid but not enough doll-houses. Anyway, I watched about two minutes of the presentation and had to turn it off because that dude with the pony-tail just flat-out depressed me. Is that what we gamers are become? He looked like a frumpy lesbian who'd suffered a double-mastectomy.
LOL.

Glad I wasn't the only one thinking that.
Old 08-02-2013, 08:25 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrano [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

My one concern is how raiding fits into this concept. Since they removed levels but instead use a skill tree system (w/o levels?) you'll still see player specializing I suppose.
Smedley has apparently been playing quite a lot of EVE for ideas and inspiration regarding EQNext. I would assume it will be a similar system to it where you'll be able to train certain skills for a long time to become extremely specialized in a single role. I haven't played EVE, but have some friends who do. Whenever I sit in on them playing it seems like that might be the kind of system in place for that game. I'll have to ask them how it works next time I talk to them.
Old 08-02-2013, 08:31 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrier [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I want combat where the math nerds sit all day and parse damage and come up with all sorts of formulae on how damage works.
They already do that with pretty much every MMO out there. One thing that comes to mind is WoW's fansite "Elitist Jerks".

The only thing that changes is instead of figuring out how to auto attack the best you figure out how to incorporate skills into your damage as well.
Old 08-02-2013, 08:37 PM
The Protector of Sunder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrier [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I may be in the minority, but go to The Steel Warrior and look at some of the articles about damage and how warriors mitigated it. That to me was EQ.

All these abilities like whirlwind and charge and all that crap, bring it down. I want combat where the math nerds sit all day and parse damage and come up with all sorts of formulae on how damage works.
That existed in WoW. You had abilities, in fact warriors had whirlwind, yet there was still lots of parsing involved at the high end to break down what worked best.

I think it looked great, still has lots of work to be done but I'm excited to return to norrath.

A big difference today from back then is that there are too many hardcore gamers who just destroy content (that mindset was first developed in EQ) and the spread of MMO information is too great. Back in the day forums and allakhazam were basically it, now each game has its own wiki before release. Beta players explain everything to their friends and the information quickly trickles down into guides and videos, I mean shit people created a mod in WoW that showed you exactly how to do quests and gave you a check list/organizer to keep it in order. That wasn't the developers originally it was from players.

While lots of us like to think that our little pocket of MMO players on P99 are deserving of some ultra difficult game where mistakes can equal hours of lost time, we need to admit that unless we create it ourselves (just like Nilbog recreating EQ) it's never going to happen. No one is going to make a game that caters to this crowd, they can eat from the subscriptions none of play. Couple that with the way everyone complains about the "pay to win" model and how the fuck are they supposed to pay for anything off the P99 culture?

You guys want a ramped up EQ Classic? Make it yourselves. I've played this game 10 years ago. I killed AoW, Vulak, and ogre walled Tunare. I love the competition, I loved the very real rush that came from killing a mob the 1st time with rival guilds breathing down your neck. I loved the way players became legends on my server and how rivalries formed, players switched sides, and deals were struck behind the scenes. I hated that another guild released the sleeper right after I got my key. That shit was awesome, but it's gone. P99 will never recreate that because you can't expect a game to have an expansion once every 3 years and still keep the best players. All we get is an initial rush of hardcores rolling through content then getting tired and going to play something else. Velious will be fun, but it will lose its allure after a few months just like Kunark did. EQ Next at least promises something new that we've never experienced before. That video made me want to play an INT caster for the first time in my life.
Old 08-02-2013, 08:52 PM
Aviak

All I can say with certainty right now is that it's not what I expected to see. I'm not going to get riled up about a partial "reveal," or any game for that matter. Either I'll play it or I won't.

The big armor, AoE rings, and BLAMO effects worry me a bit, and I'll withhold judgement on the multi-classing thing. I do like the look and feel of the terrain though, and even though I doubt I'll spend much time on it, the world builder is something I can see many people enjoying.

If they make it into something I don't like they are probably doing me a favor anyway. We'll see.
Old 08-02-2013, 08:54 PM
Fire Giant

most interesting idea that was brought up was the permanent change and rallying call thing

to me that sounds like it could be really cool

rest of it was bleh, kerran looked pretty dumb and whirlwind? really? is this diablo or eq?

multi-classes Im not a fan of, but to early to knock it completely imo

guess I'll wait and see as more things become available, initial thoughts remain skeptical at best though.
Old 08-02-2013, 08:54 PM
Kobold

why do the whiney ones try to convince everyone else the game sucks? just play it if you want and make your own judgement

Asmoth (sloth reborn)
17 Human Shadowknight <Inglorious Basterds>

Krysanth Firemedic P99 Red
Rogue
Old 08-02-2013, 09:06 PM
Planar Protector

Because the game will suck Whale Shit is why. They are just out to make money, not make a good game. It is geared towards kids. If Sony gave a shit they would not have all the stupid as hell Armour that you can buy now. They want your F'ing money. It is ALL about money.

Oh yeah, you will be able to build a house anywhere you want. And guess the hell what. They will be WILLING to sell you online with your Visa Card a picture to hang on the wall. Oh, you want a birdbath in the yard, a fence, a sofa inside. Need I go on. It will be the same old crap over again. Mark my word. We have all waited for years for a game that is just going to be a glorified WoW.
Last edited by webrunner5; 08-02-2013 at 09:18 PM..
Closed Thread