Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Tanks

Closed Thread

Old 12-04-2016, 09:07 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lhancelot [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Honestly, I wouldn't bother with the regen bp. That's 9k plat that could be poured into all your empty slots. Get a embalming knife to proc bandages, keep your bind wound up instead of relying on the regen bp. If you are grouping, the regen of that bp becomes even less important imo.

As stated above, the staff of battle is really nice. It will actually hold aggro better than 1h weapons unless you got some decent procs going on from 20 to 30, maybe even higher.

Another thing to consider, crusty armor is cheap and gives you the stats you lack as a DE warrior, that being str and sta.

If you make a de warrior, consider making him agnostic. This will help you work faction to bank in Freeport or other good cities easier if you want to do that.

Get a runed bow, it's cheap, hits hard as a lowbie. You will crit with it nicely.
Respectfully, the bolded advice is well-intentioned but terrible. Remember, it's not like he's pouring the money for the Iksar BP down a black hole. He can re-sell the thing at any point and recoup his investment, and they hold a steady value compared to a lot of other items. And the regen makes a huge difference 1-30 and a noticeable difference all the way up to 50. It's +50 HP per minute, which may not sound like a whole lot, but speaking as someone who has actually used one while leveling a Warrior, it's the difference between being able to solo fairly comfortably and just barely getting by with bandages (and remember the two are not mutually exclusive). Another way to look at it: it's like having a pocket Cleric toss you a Greater Heal every 6 minutes. It's very noticeable and very welcome while leveling, especially while solo or in small groups.

Regen and haste are the two most powerful benefits when leveling a melee. You should get the best of each you can afford.
Old 12-04-2016, 10:25 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexenu [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Respectfully, the bolded advice is well-intentioned but terrible. Remember, it's not like he's pouring the money for the Iksar BP down a black hole. He can re-sell the thing at any point and recoup his investment, and they hold a steady value compared to a lot of other items. And the regen makes a huge difference 1-30 and a noticeable difference all the way up to 50. It's +50 HP per minute, which may not sound like a whole lot, but speaking as someone who has actually used one while leveling a Warrior, it's the difference between being able to solo fairly comfortably and just barely getting by with bandages (and remember the two are not mutually exclusive). Another way to look at it: it's like having a pocket Cleric toss you a Greater Heal every 6 minutes. It's very noticeable and very welcome while leveling, especially while solo or in small groups.

Regen and haste are the two most powerful benefits when leveling a melee. You should get the best of each you can afford.
I leveled multiple lowbie warriors and I personally never found that I needed a regen bp, unless soloing.

If he wants to solo then perhaps, but if his other slots are empty and he is using subpar gears just to wear a regen bp (not even a fungi mind you), I personally feel it's not a worthwhile investment.

Typically by lvl 20 I was grouping, and I found having hps and ac quite beneficial in a group but that's my opinion and what I feel I experienced.

Soloing as warrior past 20 gets rougher too, I really don't see how that iksar regen bp will take him very far when he has tar goo wrists and empty slots.

But, hey whatever. I was just giving my perspective. If it's awful advice guess I been doing it wrong on my warriors.
Old 12-04-2016, 10:55 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lhancelot [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I leveled multiple lowbie warriors and I personally never found that I needed a regen bp, unless soloing.

If he wants to solo then perhaps, but if his other slots are empty and he is using subpar gears just to wear a regen bp (not even a fungi mind you), I personally feel it's not a worthwhile investment.

Typically by lvl 20 I was grouping, and I found having hps and ac quite beneficial in a group but that's my opinion and what I feel I experienced.

Soloing as warrior past 20 gets rougher too, I really don't see how that iksar regen bp will take him very far when he has tar goo wrists and empty slots.

But, hey whatever. I was just giving my perspective. If it's awful advice guess I been doing it wrong on my warriors.
Of course you can level fine without it. You just level easier with it. This is not really controversial - downtime as a melee is entirely a function of how quickly you can restore your health between fights, whether with bandages, regen or grouping with a healer. Any type of regen is only going to speed up your leveling. Period.

And it's not like he's forced to choose between option 1 of having regen BP and being naked otherwise while wielding a Rusty Long Sword, and option 2 of having a nice set of gear and weapons but no regen. He has enough money to afford both. He can use the BP until he no longer sees the benefit then sell it and get something else. It's not a waste of money, it's temporarily turning 10k into regen to speed up your leveling, then selling it and getting your 10k back.

And there's no need to be defensive, I wasn't personally attacking you. I just disagreed with the advice. As most people would. If you can afford any type of regen while twinking a melee (especially a tank) then you buy it. You're the only person I've ever seen who disagrees with that statement, and the reason is because regen (even 5 hp/tick) is insanely powerful at lower levels and greatly helps in leveling.
Old 12-04-2016, 12:17 PM
Planar Protector

Bandaging whilst still swinging melee attacks will carry you a long way.

Tab target to self, hit bandage key, hit /stand hotkey, tab target back to opponent, turn auto attack back on. Repeat every 12 seconds until hp over 50%, bandages run out or RSI sets in.
Old 12-04-2016, 01:20 PM
Orc

I'm currently at 0 plat. I like the idea of regen but a set of crusty is also an option. How much does a set go for? And does it sell often? I really don't want to tunnel quest anymore than I have to.
Old 12-04-2016, 02:44 PM
Planar Protector

5 extra regen per tick will help lighten the load for your healer. You're improving group quality of life by wearing the ceremonial iksar chestplate. If you plan on being the main tank in pickup leveling groups. You didn't go wrong with buying it. Also it will help your downtime.
Told this to Rogean, Nilbog & Menden.
Last edited by Baler; 12-04-2016 at 02:50 PM..
Old 12-04-2016, 03:47 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baler [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
5 extra regen per tick will help lighten the load for your healer. You're improving group quality of life by wearing the ceremonial iksar chestplate. If you plan on being the main tank in pickup leveling groups. You didn't go wrong with buying it. Also it will help your downtime.
Just to be clear on my position regarding a regen bp, I never said regen was bad and not helpful. I have a fungi I float around on my toons that can use it, and yes it's awesome. Honestly I don't think an iksar regen bp is worth 9-10k but w/e.

My point was not that regen is bad, my point was that when he has limited funds it might be more prudent to spend his plats on the totality of his slots not just the chest slot with a ceremonial iksar bp which truly isn't that great.

Is the iksar bp Helpful? Sure it doesn't hurt. Awesome and makes it so healers never have to heal you when you tank? No.

Like Jimjam mentioned above bind wound can be used even in combat, and I just found it hard to work on BW when I had a fungi on, and instead enjoyed using a regular BP while leveling my warrs.

In groups, you don't need regen bp as a warrior, especially if you are rocking 5ac wrists and empty slots in other areas. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Vexenu, 5 regen is insanely powerful? Maybe on a toon that is lvl 1-20. I don't suspect he is going to be 1-20 for very long so I just have a hard time justifying buying a iksar bp unless you got more than 20k total. I just don't view 5 hp regen as "insanely powerful", guess we have different ideas on what is "insanely powerful." [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Last edited by Lhancelot; 12-04-2016 at 03:55 PM..
Old 12-28-2016, 09:24 PM
Large Bat

spend 17-18k on a cobalt breastplate, then buy really cheap gear for the other slots... the reason why you would want a cobalt breastplate is because they're on sale once every 3 months and you will feel like a pimp wearing one

weapons:
kunzar kujuch/ykeshan war club/viik's dark defender/jarsath trident/fist of zek/spined dragon claws/blackjack/silken whip of ensnaring/acid etched war sword

back:
werewolf skin cloak/white wolf hide cloak

fingers:
2x jagged bands

ears:
platinum bloodstone earring/orc fang earring/diamondine earring

neck:
chipped velium amulet/runed lava pendant

face:
sarnak hide mask/grotesque mask/dented brass mask

head:
crested helm/crafted helm

shoulders:
crested spaulders/bloodstained mantle/crafted pauldron

legs:
crafted greaves/silver plated leggings

wrists:
hero bracer/crafted bracer

feet:
dwarven work boots/cobalt boots/crafted boots

hands:
kobold bone gauntlets/cobalt gauntlets/dark mail gauntlets/crafted gauntlets/iksar scaled gloves

ranged:
runed bone fork/runed oak bow

arms:
azure sleeves/crafted vambraces

waist:
thin banded belt/straw spun belt

and when you get a few more thousand platinum later, get SCHW or a FBSS
Last edited by WHUTZ MACKIN MOBSTAH; 12-28-2016 at 09:52 PM..
Old 12-29-2016, 08:24 AM
Planar Protector

Send a message via ICQ to Uuruk Send a message via AIM to Uuruk Send a message via MSN to Uuruk Send a message via Yahoo to Uuruk

Currently had 0 plat but wants to spend 20k to twink a character. Wonder what is going on here.
Old 12-29-2016, 08:35 AM
Banned

Location: ✿Kohai in the Streets, Senpai in the Sheets❤( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Send a message via ICQ to Xaanka Send a message via AIM to Xaanka Send a message via Yahoo to Xaanka

hmmmmmmmmmmmm
Closed Thread