Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 09-03-2010, 09:08 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overcast [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
With that - the potential for some to 'mod' EQ - heavy customization - might end up being like CounterStrike and breathe life back into EQ. CouterStrike just shut down many FPS games - even newer ones, it was so crazy popular. Quake 2 was like that too - the mods just 'made the game'.
Richardo a few years ago had an EverQuest CounterStrike server. I shit you not, you ran around with a bow in a castle shooting each other for "frags".

Maudigan from mqemulator.net, is working on a massive modification client-side to EverQuest for a future server. He's changing the item icons, UI, etc. I think he's also working on custom models. I'd imagine he'll end up using portions of OpenZone as well on the server side of things.
Old 09-04-2010, 12:21 AM
Skeleton

The same Richardo that did the songs and parodies? I'm going to have to dig up some of those again for old times sake.
Old 09-04-2010, 11:14 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by eqdruid76 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
My theory, and it IS just a theory, albeit a long-standing one, is that EQ is used for training purposes at SOE. In other words, new-hire coders and developers cut their teeth on wrecking EQ before they are set loose on the rest of SOE's fail gaming library.

Of course, folks here who have experience playing Star Wars Galaxies have every right in the world to point to that game as the training environment for SOE new hires.
I remember distinctly sitting in Shadowhaven prior to SWG being released and seeing in /ooc "wookie90201: (or some number combination) test!" ... I agree that EQ is still running as a proving grounds for new hires... "break things here, you can break things anywhere!"