Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Red Community > Red Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 10-10-2011, 08:31 PM
Fire Giant

Default Focus Beta - Lack of direction/Feedback from devs/communication

Beta out for a couple weeks, server pop dwindling. I really want this server to do well and I want to help genuinely. A lot of people here dont and just come here for troll lols.

We should solve one of the biggest problems going on with this beta. There is a serious lack of direction and/or the communication of this direction to the community participating in the beta.

Its not wise to open an amusement park and tell the testers ok go test what you like and come back and tell me about it. You cant expect to test the brakes on a rollercoaster when everyone just wants to go fast or they are in the haunted mansion or the gift shop.

That wont get any sort of accurate results and it wont help you fix major problems.

Shit needs to be prioritized and looked at systematically. The devs need to understand what they want from the server(resists,melee hitbox,dynamic pvp level name system), whats important, and then tell people to test that thing out when they are ready to deal with and analyze the results.

Everyone is using a different method to test, there are no standards, so the info you get is completely biased and skewed. (how can i tell you if resists are working if I have no idea how the resist system works or what my oponent's resists are currently at)

By Focusing the beta, you get the results from what you as the development team are working on currently and can fix things one by one, instead of jumping from post to post trying to fix this or that here and there. It will make you devs frustrated, cluttered and overwhelmed trying to fix everything at once.

Also, the community needs to be informed of shit going on behind the scenes to keep people interested and willing to test something they understand, to make them feel like there is some sort of progress from the 7+ pages posted on the bug forums. I beta tested eq1 and eq2, anarchy online, daoc, Asherons call 1 and 2, swg, wow and each of its expansions, warhammer, matrix online, planetside and a shit load of other mmos.

They all tell the beta testers what they are currently trying to fix, how the beta testers can help to test that, what they can do if they cant test that, and how whatever they fixed last was fixed and how everyone should make sure it was fixed.

You cant have a productive beta without this feedback dynamic and communication.

Video game companies all do it the same way. They have alpha where they test core and root game dynamics and systems, then beta after they make sure the alpha is rock solid and so on. Its a process that cuts work down for them and organizes what is important and communicates it to the beta populace to do what their limited time wont allow.

You devs are leaders in this community and most people look up to you for information. You are what helps hold the community together, their faith in your ability to run a legit clean stable server. You reinforce this image by giving feedback to the community so they know you are there and care about this project even more then they do.

We are all human, we all got family and/or work obligations so we understand if you guys are busy with work or have family things to do or just dont feel like doing shit on the server tonight. We understand.

It just sucks spending two weeks testing things and not hearing anything addressed to the beta testing community while watching the server population drop and not knowing what is going on, no one wants to be in the dark and there really isnt a reason that we should be kept in the dark.

We all appreciate the work you do for us to have this server.

Help us help you.
Old 10-10-2011, 08:37 PM
Kobold

I think they said somewhere a while back that they wanted us to test some specific areas of pvp...being resists, dynamic lvl range , etc. Since the server is a pvp server I think they probably figured we would jump on and test what they were looking for us to test.
By what I have seen in the pvp bugs section people have been submitting feedback on what they wanted looked at. People also talk about bugs and misc on the irc and in game. Shrug.
RIP Madamm <Happy Little Hug Factory>
Old 10-10-2011, 08:38 PM
Kobold

2nd

also melee is broken IMO
Old 10-10-2011, 08:58 PM
Planar Protector

Things seem to be going pretty well imo. We've made the devs aware of the big issues (resists, dispells, melee damage/range, dynamic pvp range) and now I think we're waiting for them to look into and fix these few things before the server releases. Anything more than this, that was a serious issue, would probably have been discovered by now. They'll continue fine-tuning things once we're live.
Old 10-10-2011, 09:36 PM
Banned

An update thread of where Beta stands and where it still need to go from the Devs would help encourage beta testing tho.
Old 10-10-2011, 09:52 PM
Sarnak

Well put Galacticus. I know these guys owe us nothing and I thank them for even considering a PVP Server, but I can't help agree that having a more organized beta would speed this whole process up.
Old 10-10-2011, 10:42 PM
Sarnak

Very well said.
Last edited by Yukahwa; 10-10-2011 at 10:54 PM..
Old 10-11-2011, 12:20 AM
Banned

Only need to do 3 things to release this server:

1) scrap dynamic PvP level system and make all high end zones such as guk, karnors, etc flagged as "arena", +/- 8 would work in other zones. That way we have no issues with spies or other weird things when raiding.

2) fix melee code: jousting, hit box range, etc

3) Implement correct resists for crowd control that I already posted then implement something decent for damage spells.

http://www.project1999.org/forums/sh...61&postcount=5
Old 10-11-2011, 12:26 AM
Kobold

I don't know why this server claims to be classic PvP but all this bullshit around making high end zones FFA, punishing zone plugging, and dynamic level ranges is being added. MAKE THE FUCKING SERVER CLASSIC!

All focus should be number 2 and 3 above, all this bullshit around new mechanics shouldn't even be on the server.
Old 10-11-2011, 12:32 AM
Planar Protector

Beta's going well. There's apparently a patch lined up ready to be rolled out soon, so of course the server population is stagnant. We pretty much know what's broken and when developers get around to implementing a patch we can continue testing things and reporting feedback as usual.

Whining on the forums isn't going to get us anywhere, so just be patient. Continue posting bugs and concerns in a civil manner. For example, this is not constructive and is just a complete waste:

Quote:
also melee is broken IMO

lol wut
Closed Thread