Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 08-23-2017, 11:06 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swish [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
When TAKP went closed source on its code didnt that leave P02 in the shit? I'd base my choice on things like that...seems like TAKP have people who know what they're doing, and there's no salty vegetable vendors there.
For a fact P2002 has people who know what they are doing, so does TAKP. Talent is real on both. Also, HE-HE meat is the best, you should shove that meat in your mouth Swishy. You might like it.

As for Tollen;
I don't know what you are referring to "move in on rotation, when they didn't have keys"

I think my point is; Anyone that competes with PS eventually gets frustrated and either leaves the server or get banned/suspended/warned.
Last edited by dafier; 08-23-2017 at 11:10 AM..
Old 08-23-2017, 12:14 PM
Sarnak

There is probably always going to be some beef between TAKP and P02, but I think at this point it is a lot less than people continue to think.

Both teams have some very good people. People in general have different skill sets, so it's safe to assume that while one team may be better at a particular aspect of development, the other team may be better at a different element. In the end, both are churning out updates and working hard to provide an experience that meshes with their charter (TAKP is to emulate the AK server, P02 is to emulate a PoP-Era server).

Neither will probably ever have the population of P99. Why? Because many people hate the *idea* of boxing. I say *idea* because in practice it isn't nearly as bad as people think it is, but the likelihood of changing people's minds (especially the P99 crowd) is nil.

As for PS and other raid guilds, the issue is PS is the top raiding guild. Any guild that wants to challenge that needs to prove they are capable of challenging it. Most so far realize that doing so requires a level of dedication they aren't willing to sign up for and get frustrated when PS isn't willing to let content sit idle until the other guild is ready to complete it. Not grossly different than P99, except that instead of socking and FTE, most guilds on P02 try to come up with an agreement to make things more civil (which typically involves 24-48 *hours* for a guild to engage).

Edit: To expand on the above, P99 also loses players and guilds to frustration over raiding. I know, because I left for exactly that reason. However, with a much larger population, you either don't hear about it, or you don't care because it's a smaller percentage of the playerbase. On P02 the loss of players or a guild appears like a much bigger deal than it really is. Since NH left, several new guilds have stepped up and many of the old NH players have returned and joined other guilds on the server.
Last edited by am0n; 08-23-2017 at 12:19 PM..
Old 08-23-2017, 12:53 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by am0n [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Neither will probably ever have the population of P99. Why? Because many people hate the *idea* of boxing. I say *idea* because in practice it isn't nearly as bad as people think it is, but the likelihood of changing people's minds (especially the P99 crowd) is nil.
Did you play EverQuest on live? Boxing was rare, especially in the classic through Velious era, but also largely in the Luclin-LDoN era. It's not about "hating the idea of boxing", it's about wanting to play the same game we all played back in the day. P99 is the only server that gets that.

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 08-23-2017, 02:32 PM
Planar Protector

Great point. First time I boxed was when some dude I played with in game gave me his account because he wasn't going to play any longer. That was Luclin. However I only boxed when I wasn't raiding and not grouped.

And, that was with 2 separate computers, monitors, keyboards and mice. It was a decent setup I had. I stopped boxing because it was over all wasting my time, then started boxing again late PoP. I transferred one char from one account to a new account I created.

P99 in this respect is awesome due to no boxing allowed.
Old 08-23-2017, 04:45 PM
Fire Giant

P02 and Takp are both very much box servers. I haven't logged more than 10-15 hours on TAKP, so I can't comment on it too much but, for p02, most people there box. You certainly can single or two box, but it's more of the norm versus the exception. If you like boxing, it's a good place to check out. If you hate boxing, don't even bother.

P02 uses the titanium client and has some quality of life improvements like maps, guild tab, autofire for rangers, or melody for bards. Boxing is really easy to set up with Wineq. Takp's setup is a bit different with the old mac client. It definitely feels more classic, but wasn't as stable, at least in my experience. Mouse wheel zoom doesn't work, your cursor can't scroll outside of the window, and it was easy to crash your toons by doing something in windows like ctrl alt delete or accidentally tabbing to the desktop. I imagine both servers are pretty good as far as bugs go.

I've played on p02 for a long time. Around the time i made the switch from p99 to p02, I remember I was doing a WToV gear clear raid with Divinity when LTK was in window, and we were hoping to get a shot at her. Well, it was all but impossible since there were about 15 people sitting on the spawn spamming hotkeys to FTE. That raid made me realize I would never see content beyond what a casual guild can accomplish on p99, and I made the change to p02. Guilds on p02 communicate and rotate stuff and there really is more than enough content to go around.

As far as the tinfoiling goes, Amon described it a few posts further up well. The top guild on p02, Powerslave, has the dedication, numbers, and organization to clear top end Luclin content and didn't want to sit idly while other guilds wasted time wiping. Same exact crap happens on p99. It's popular to accuse PS of getting GM favoritism or GM handouts when in reality its members just spend the time to test and learn strategies to easily kill bosses. The fun of a server like p02 is the PvE, beating encounters with low numbers or non ideal compositions... how would it be fun to have GMs tank or heal?

Anyways, P02 is a great server, if you like boxing, the Luclin-PoP era, a few QoL updates, check it out. If you want a more classic feel, check out TAKP. PM me if you want to get set up on P02, I can help you out.
Old 08-25-2017, 01:19 PM
Kobold

I hated the idea of boxing. EQ needs the social aspect to thrive in these eras, right? Played many years on p99 as a cleric so no cheese soloing, all groups for every tick of exp.

Then, tired of the end game gong show here, I tried the alternatives, especially takp.

Know what? I was wrong. I would never play an emu that doesnt allow either one or two additional boxes (you start getting into some bad problems in other respects with more than that). I can still group and single box when I want to because on takp at least the best exp bonuses are for groups of 4 or 5 and you can only box up to 3 so people are happy to add in. And when I want to screw around on my own, I can three box somewhere.

I also think the optimal eq server population is considerably lower than what p99 has. There are too many people for this level of content, maybe more than twice as many. While I wish Takp had more people, I would only wish for one or two hundred more, no more than that, to settle the server in at 400 or so max.
Old 08-25-2017, 03:55 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistle [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I hated the idea of boxing. EQ needs the social aspect to thrive in these eras, right? Played many years on p99 as a cleric so no cheese soloing, all groups for every tick of exp.

Then, tired of the end game gong show here, I tried the alternatives, especially takp.

Know what? I was wrong. I would never play an emu that doesnt allow either one or two additional boxes (you start getting into some bad problems in other respects with more than that). I can still group and single box when I want to because on takp at least the best exp bonuses are for groups of 4 or 5 and you can only box up to 3 so people are happy to add in. And when I want to screw around on my own, I can three box somewhere.

I also think the optimal eq server population is considerably lower than what p99 has. There are too many people for this level of content, maybe more than twice as many. While I wish Takp had more people, I would only wish for one or two hundred more, no more than that, to settle the server in at 400 or so max.
Exactly my experience and opinion (although for P2002).
Old 09-10-2017, 01:44 AM
Kobold

If you don't like 3 boxxing p2002 isnt for you, they usually got 10-20 ppl just sitting afk in pok and another 10-20 trader characters sitting in the bazaar and can barely even come close to 200 characters on at 1 time, i say characters cause 95% if not higher 2-3 box so they are lucky to have 50 Real Life ppl on actually playing at the same time not just afking, plus there is only really 2 guilds if u want to raid end game, one being the GMs guild, there is a third one but they have no chance against bosses in PoP when that expansion comes out so you only really got 2 choices.
Old 09-11-2017, 12:39 PM
Planar Protector

PoP is about a year out with P2002 and as for guilds, they build up just fine. Once instanced raiding happens in P2002, there will never be a conflict with PS which means there should be no guild that leaves the server any longer due to conflicting with PS raiding.

As for RL people playing, it's more than 50 with all 3 guilds on and raiding. There are several people not raiding too. The numbers aren't bad at all over at p2002 and as time has shown, population goes up and down, but now down to the point of TKAP.
Old 09-11-2017, 06:46 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by by Taian » Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:36 pm
Since august 1st there is 480 forum accounts that have atleast 1 character that was logged in. Of these "active" accounts, 183 of them have a level 60. Much less than I was expecting tbh, which is actually good for the community so it isn't too top heavy.
Closed Thread