Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

View Poll Results: Should the P1999 Management have been harsher with the 365 cheaters
Yes 0 0%
No 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 08-31-2011, 04:11 PM
Sarnak

I didn't mean it as a joke. It was a literal sad face irl.
Old 08-31-2011, 04:11 PM
Banned

I will also eat the two week ban and de level to 54 if we can delete these little turds of the map.
Old 08-31-2011, 04:15 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by KB_Trader [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

I'm fairly sure the average person banned from show eq wasn't using it for anything significant or game breaking.

Good news guys. Hacks aren't game breaking. Lift the bans.
Old 08-31-2011, 04:16 PM
Sarnak

In all reality, I might not even play after my suspension is up. Seeing the communities reaction to all of this just makes it seem kind of bleh to play again. I mean I can understand being upset about people cheating, but some of the vitriol and all consuming hatred that some people are showing is a little unsettling. People take there pixels super serial apparently.

Who knows though. Guess I'll just play it by ear and keep fucking around on the hidden forest in the mean time.
Old 08-31-2011, 04:17 PM
VIP / Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humerox [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
HAD you been in charge of dealing out punishments for all this, I'd warrant the outcome probably would have been a bit different.
I suppose that at this point I can confess that the tactless scaremonger is just an act. There's actually a lot of thought behind controlling the psychology of the player base, but it's mostly ineffective without any support from the upper management.

Playing the bad guy that everyone is afraid of is an important role when there's an avenue of recourse for the legitimate complaints. But that breaks down when the avenue of recourse gets abused and manipulated by people who know what to say and how to leverage it (more credibility from being known irl, posting negative propaganda on some offsite forum).

If it had been up to me, on the surface you would have seen flat out bans. No questions about it. But realistically, there are always extenuating circumstances, and anyone who has dealt with me knows that the biggest factor with me in determining the outcome of a ban is your attitude, and that isn't without merit. A person's attitude has shown to be inversely proportional to the number of rules they're breaking.

So behind the scenes there would have been a composite of attitude + truthfulness + severity, determining the punishment or absolution individually. Basically, exactly as bans have always been handled by me. It's incredibly effective social selection. The greatest threats to the server expose themselves quickly by threatening to harm it, and can be removed from the server permanently. The people with disregard for the server and its policies usually have a lie that's easy to spot in a sycophantic or indifferent post. The people who failed in some less severe fashion but were honest, cooperative, and polite I have no problem extending lenience to, and have never regretted it when I've made that decision.

So there is a little bit of the thought process that goes behind the persona. There is a process and a psychology to it, and it's proven itself to be effective in more places than just here on p99. But, like I said, it's ineffective at this point because people know how to socially engineer right around it.
Last edited by Uthgaard; 08-31-2011 at 04:23 PM..
Old 08-31-2011, 04:18 PM
Aviak

Some peolpe even take it so serious they reaort to cheating.
Old 08-31-2011, 04:19 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by druziil [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Good news guys. Hacks aren't game breaking. Lift the bans.
Lol? I never said "hacks" aren't game breaking. I'd wager that most of the people using show eq went to google and typed in show eq titanium and downloaded the program. These people aren't sitting there with a hex editor meticulously going over the client side code with a fine tooth comb.

Feel free to continue to quote things out of context and reply with snide, sarcastic quips because you lack the brain cells to offer any sort of significant rebuttal
Old 08-31-2011, 04:20 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uthgaard [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I suppose that at this point I can confess that the tactless scaremonger is just an act. There's actually a lot of thought behind controlling the psychology of the player base, but it's mostly ineffective without any support from the upper management.

Playing the bad guy that everyone is afraid of is an important role when there's an avenue of recourse for the legitimate complaints. But that breaks down when the avenue of recourse gets abused and manipulated by people who know what to say and how to leverage it (more credibility from being known irl, posting negative propaganda on some offsite forum).

If it had been up to me, on the surface you would have seen flat out bans. No questions about it. But realistically, there are always extenuating circumstances, and anyone who has dealt with me knows that the biggest factor with me in determining the outcome of a ban is your attitude, and that isn't without merit. A person's attitude has shown to inversely proportional to the number of rules they're breaking.

So behind the scenes there would have been a composite of attitude + truthfulness + severity, determining the punishment or absolution individually. Basically, exactly as bans have always been handled by me. It's incredibly effective social selection. The greatest threats to the server expose themselves quickly by threatening to harm it, and can be removed from the server permanently. The people with disregard for the server and its policies usually have a lie that's easy to spot in a sycophantic or indifferent post. The people who failed in some less severe fashion but were honest, cooperative, and polite I have no problem extending lenience to, and have never regretted it when I've made that decision.

So there is a little bit of the thought process that goes behind the persona. There is a process and a psychology to it, and it's proven itself to be effective in more places than just here on p99. But, like I said, it's ineffective at this point because people know how to socially engineer right around it.
I loled so hard. It's fuckin sad you had to explain the elicit obvious to the average moron. The funny thing is the morons will still have trouble understanding no matter what you say.
Old 08-31-2011, 04:21 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uthgaard [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
A post reaffirming what a lot of us already knew and expected.
This all ain't over by a long shot, imo. Thanks, Uth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirken View Post
if your reason to be here is to ruin other peoples experiences and grief them off the server, then not only do you not deserve the privilege of playing here, but i will remove your ability to do so.
Old 08-31-2011, 04:21 PM
Banned

But as in all life I look forward to the future to those morons fetching my coffee , they are good for something...
Closed Thread