Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Rants and Flames

Closed Thread

Old 10-22-2010, 10:29 AM
Fire Giant

Default fallout: new vegas is a buggy piece of trash

i started playing two days ago and i've had 5 crashes, 1 of which was a terminal system crash and another corrupted one of my save files (thankfully i had a recent backup).

not only that but something is wrong with its performance. i recently upgraded my graphics card to a 460 gtx and i'm getting very poor performance when compared to its precursor, fallout 3. I had to turn it down to medium and i'm still getting significant framerate problems. I had a worse graphics card when I played FO3 and i'm getting worse fps now with much worse settings.

hardcore mode was supposed to increase the difficulty of the game, but the only thing it really does is make inventory management a pain in the ass since ammo weighs so much. it doesn't make the game any more difficult beyond having to spend a half an hour managing my inventory for every hour i play.
Old 10-22-2010, 10:36 AM
Planar Protector

When playing FO3 I realized that, as usual, Bethesda and co. makes games that require modification to make sense and run properly. I'm sure a mod will be out soon to adjust inventory management to something that has some level of logic. Ever since playing Oblivion I immediately search out any and all mods for the game before even buying them.
Old 10-22-2010, 10:55 AM
Fire Giant

i agree completely. my only issue is that i am tired of feeding a company money if they can't do it right the first time.
Old 10-22-2010, 11:02 AM
Planar Protector

But... is the game good? :3 i loved fallout 3.

I enchant things...
Old 10-22-2010, 11:13 AM
Fire Giant

honestly, the game isn't bad. however, ignoring the bugs and the annoyance of dealing with inventory management, there are still some issues. for instance, there's a quest chain that you can't do unless you have fucking precognition since the faction for the guys who give the quest are aggroed by default to you. the only way to activate this quest chain is to put on a disguise and begin the quest before you kill too many of them. they seem like just more raiders at first but they're actually a faction with a quest line. you'll get karma increases for killing them because they're evil, but they attack you on sight no matter what you do, which can be annoying if you're trying to be evil and accrue bad karma.

it seems less immersive than fo3 and the main questline is not as engaging as it was in fo3.

there's also this massive crafting system that completely falls flat on its face. it seems like a big waste of time to hand load your own ammunition and try to make meals from foraged goods when food and ammunition are so plentiful anyway. you can still make some improvised weapons and explosives that can be pretty useful, but you have to find the recipes for most of them.
Old 10-22-2010, 01:26 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

Runs fine on my xbox 360 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

why do years old consoles run games better than the newest pc ?

It's so fucked up.
Old 10-22-2010, 01:33 PM
Fire Giant

I did some research, and apparently there's some kind of bug with some new hardware and the way faces are rendered. There's actually a simple unofficial fix that makes F:NV think that you're running an older graphics card than you actually are that drastically improves framerate (it apparently doesn't work all the time, but i'll try it anyway). Ironically this is a very similar problem to what FO3 had and it's apparently even the same file that is causing the problem (some direct x dll file). If you ask me, i think it's really unacceptable that bethdesa and obsidian have the same recurring problems with their games. in that same vein it is extremely annoying to rely on 3rd party mods and utilities to fix gameplay and technical issues to make a game playable, if i'm spending as much money as i am on my shit i want it to work the first time around.
Old 10-22-2010, 01:51 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickled_heretic [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
in that same vein it is extremely annoying to rely on 3rd party mods and utilities to fix gameplay and technical issues to make a game playable
You would not fit in well at Bethesda.
Old 10-22-2010, 02:00 PM
Fire Giant

you mean i would be outcast because i would insist that a product that people are paying money for should work as is intended as soon as they buy it?

keep in mind, we're not talking about mods that remove gameplay annoyances or change the way the game is played, but mods that are required for the functioning of the game, as it is intended.
Old 10-22-2010, 02:04 PM
Project Manager

I have gotten stuck on objects twice now. Aside from that, I haven't had any issues. Gameplay is smooth so far, no crashes.

Maybe I haven't played enough yet. I'm level 5.
Closed Thread