Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Rants and Flames

Closed Thread

Old 10-27-2011, 09:27 PM
Planar Protector

still, wut?
Old 10-27-2011, 09:31 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tadzi [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Goal is to lessen/eliminate the corrosive power of major banks and multinational corporations over the democratic process.
Right but that's an ultra-vague goal, and they haven't proposed or identified any specific methods for bringing about the reform(s) they desire. The devil is in the details. I'd say that 95% of America would be pro-lessening/eliminating the corrosive power of major banks and multinational corporations over the democratic process. But when you get down to the details of how to do that, you start losing people.
Old 10-27-2011, 09:42 PM
Large Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mardur [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
You're really comparing Occupy Wall St. to the American Revolution? Holy fucking shit.

The difference is that in those 3 examples you gave, there was an obvious problem and an obvious solution. And generally, people did more than stand around with a sign.

They're not accomplishing anything. It doesn't really bother me, I don't give a shit how people waste their time. That's why I'm not condemning nor praising the protesters. Except for the fact that, yeah, they could be spending their time improving their life if they don't like. But whatever.

The point is that people are aware there's a problem, but a solution isn't clearly well defined. Jailing Madoff was one, but we did that already. If you took any random person on Wall St. and asked them "so if you were in charge, what would you do to fix the economic problems in the country?" they'd have no fucking clue.

And I'm flat broke and unemployed. I was making $12/hr in 2008-2009. It took me about a week to get that job after I moved into this area. I haven't been paid above $9 since end of 2009. I haven't been paid above minimum wage in the past year. It generally takes me at the very least to land a new job. I was laid off from my last minimum wage job in August. I'm currently job searching. But I'm not going to stand around and cry about how bad the economy is, I just have to work harder than I did a few years ago. It sucks, and I'm all for protest, but I realize that this can't accomplish anything. I'd rather do something more productive, like post on Rants & Flames.
You imply there isn't an obvious problem or solution. I disagree with the problem not being obvious(with the obvious effects being unemployment rates, average income rates, ect) but so do you apparently because you then say that people know there's a problem. I do agree that the solution isn't obvious, but I don't see that as a reason for it being ignored. Protesting brings awareness to issues and perhaps out of it some minds will change in those in power and maybe brilliant economist will find a solution that otherwise wouldn't even think about it.
Old 10-27-2011, 09:47 PM
Large Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daldolma [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Right but that's an ultra-vague goal, and they haven't proposed or identified any specific methods for bringing about the reform(s) they desire. The devil is in the details. I'd say that 95% of America would be pro-lessening/eliminating the corrosive power of major banks and multinational corporations over the democratic process. But when you get down to the details of how to do that, you start losing people.
Well the first step to change something is getting people to admit that something is wrong. Which is what they are doing first.
Old 10-27-2011, 09:49 PM
Fire Giant

bleh If I wasn't such a mongoloid cunt who needs to get a fucking life I would probably be able to figure out how to embed these videos properly. Until then, click it. It may open up your mind and eyes just a little bit:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wK1MO...layer_embedded

<3
Old 10-27-2011, 09:51 PM
Large Rat

forgot to add: If nobody ever told Sony the bugs that were in Everquest, they never would have gotten fixed. I don't think the average player knew how to fix the bugs themselves, but it is important to point them out.
Old 10-27-2011, 09:51 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zereh [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
bleh If I wasn't such a mongoloid cunt
Lies Zereh <3
Serilis - 60 Wizard
Decisive - 60 Bard
Winsloe - 60 Rogue
Zaggasauarus - 27 Necro
Old 10-27-2011, 09:52 PM
Banned

another nightmarishly boring thread thx hbb
Old 10-27-2011, 09:54 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daldolma
There's also no chance they break up the banks. It's not that I don't think they should. But realistically, the banks wield far too much power within government and have far too much legal firepower to be dispersed. It would take much more than the current Occupy Wall Street protests to break up the banks -- it would take a borderline revolution.
There was a movement last year during the negotiations for the Dodd-Frank bill to break up these "too big to fail" companies, and that got 33 votes in the Senate. If there was enough popular support out there, if there was a show of force the same way there was a show of force in the Tea Party on the other side for the spending issue, then I think they might actually get something like that.
Old 10-27-2011, 09:57 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tadzi [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I disagree with the problem not being obvious(with the obvious effects being unemployment rates, average income rates, ect)
Quote:
Protesting brings awareness to issues
So you agree the protest is pointless then. You proved my point brilliantly.

lol wut
Closed Thread