Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 09-22-2011, 04:49 PM
Fire Giant

god bless americuh
Old 09-22-2011, 05:00 PM
Planar Protector

He was given 20 years to reconcile with the justice system and justice prevailed.
Old 09-22-2011, 05:14 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by returnofahipster [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
That's a very blanket statement to me. Apparently you have a stunted vision regarding the purpose faith holds in an individuals life. For many belief in what I will call "the unknown" for now is a deeply personal issue. It is also a belief that while initially may have been coarse has been refined by years of meditation and study. One of the instances I will use to detract from your statement is the Great Jewish Revolt of 66 A.D. I fail to believe Elazar ben Yair and his zealots fought to the death at Masada resisting the Roman's legions influence merely because they were being brainwashed and controlled by a theocratic elite. Often a culture is augmented by a spiritual belief like the Arabians with Islam, the Israelite with the Hebrew religion, or the many tribes of the subcontinent of India with its various interpretation and articulations of the Vedic texts. The zealots fought to remove their holy city from the clutches of Roman CONTROL. They also used their national faith as a rally cry and a focal point to mobilize their people to be free from CONTROL. The dwindling faithful amidst this brave new world may see the perpetual cycle taking hold again in the form of western science. Constantly belittled in the media as ignorant and scrutinized by "progressives" as old fashioned. They may see "facts" in science books as information whose soul purpose is to discredit the faith which is the very cornerstone of their life.
History always seems to repeat it self. In a society that is engulfed by internal disputes, smothered in materialism, over sexualized, and incapable of survival without constant military campaigns against other nations its quite understandable how one would think it resembles a Brand New Rome. The ostracization of religious people in modern time parallels that of the Zealots in Roman times. As Solomon said "there is nothing new under the sun".

I also find a delight in their being no Athiest option in everquest. Agnostic to me is a much different thing, but I understand it after reading this quote.

"There are no atheists in foxholes" William T. Cummings

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
If you were born and no one ever told you growing up any stories of "God" or any religious ideals would you automatically believe growing up that there is a "unknown power" above? Very doubtful. People having faith is like people stressing over things. There is no need to do it because no matter how hard you "Pray" or stress about something nothing is gonna change what happens. My statement was more of a blanket statement because religion has people in charge(Pope,bishops etc.) that preach things they "believe" to others and tell others how they should run their lives by either being "holy" and doing the right thing etc. The government has people in charge ( president, congress etc) that tell people what the people "Should want" and have laws governing how we run our lives. If you can't see the similarities and general motives deep down of both bodies(Money,power,control) then your to far gone.
Old 09-22-2011, 05:16 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supreme [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
He was given 20 years to reconcile with the justice system and justice prevailed.
virgin spotted
Old 09-22-2011, 06:13 PM
Kobold

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thulack [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
If you were born and no one ever told you growing up any stories of "God" or any religious ideals would you automatically believe growing up that there is a "unknown power" above? Very doubtful. People having faith is like people stressing over things. There is no need to do it because no matter how hard you "Pray" or stress about something nothing is gonna change what happens. My statement was more of a blanket statement because religion has people in charge(Pope,bishops etc.) that preach things they "believe" to others and tell others how they should run their lives by either being "holy" and doing the right thing etc. The government has people in charge ( president, congress etc) that tell people what the people "Should want" and have laws governing how we run our lives. If you can't see the similarities and general motives deep down of both bodies(Money,power,control) then your to far gone.
I was born and raised in a very irreligious household. My father is a staunch atheist, and my mother follows various teachings that could fall under the term of "new age". I seldom heard stories of God growing up. I did however feel a certain void in my life coupled by the thought there is much more to this life then we can experience with our physical senses. I never had an outlet for the thoughts so throughout my school years I struggled. Up until about my senior year in high school I considered myself agnostic / atheist. Not a crusader for these ideals more or less just ignorant of or apathetic to the ideals previously espoused to me. I met the previous year a student who was from Jordan. His attitude on life and his perceived lack of concern with the issues most teenagers are consumed with was inspiring. I learned he was a Muslim. Out of curiosity started interrogating him (friendly way of course) about his beliefs. A few lunch time conversations lead me to buying a Qur'an over our Christmas break and studying it thoroughly. In the end I never became a Muslim (although i respect them) but it did spark my interest to begin the pursuit of "higher knowledge". Since then i have read much of the bible, the Apocrypha, the psuedographia, the art of war, the seven mysteries of life, the tract of the quiet way, and am currently reading the bhagavad gita. I feel like these books are a rich dialogue of between the human soul and the thing I've chose to call the unknown. The life lessons I have learned catapulted me to adopt a much healthier and more rounded existence here on earth. I'm a vegan now and have lost a ton of weight, i no longer use any drugs or alcohol, i don't sleep around anymore, and overall i just value and cherish life. When you talk about control, there is always going to be control. This world would like to have you feel like you need to be a slave to material gain, fame, sex and everything else it beams at you through the television. So this form of control I have risen above. You might say Im controlled by my ideals and to an extent you'd be right but I choose my own ideals. There is no hierarchy between me and the unknown. I understand that people are opposed to an established and organized religion. I also at the same time wish my personal faith would not be diminished and compared to those who follow out tradition, fear, or acceptance.
The very fact that the word organized is used in before religion to describe it makes it clear and apparent to me. Any individual or group of individuals that attempts to mediate between and reconcile on your behalf to something that's unseen is preposterous. Yet that does not make the idea
divinity preposterous, or impossible....
Old 09-22-2011, 06:20 PM
Sarnak

STUPID AMERIC GO EAT HUMBURGER
Old 09-22-2011, 06:35 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boggwin Bramblefoot [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
He will be freed soon enough. Freed from this earth...lmao. Another POS cop killer.
The Christain Hypocrlitiit rises !!!!
Old 09-22-2011, 06:57 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boggwin Bramblefoot [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Are you serious? For one you spelled millennia wrong.
The very same sentence that corrects my spelling also contains a comma error. Please forgive me of my sins, and I shall forgive you yours.

let me explain it to you another way. Take gravity. When you throw a ball off of the side of a building, it falls. That's gravity. The fact that the ball fell is just that; a fact. It can't be rationally explained away as not having happened. Now when you do this a hundred times, and you predict based on your observation of the ball falling a hundred times that the ball will once again fall on the 101st attempt, that's a theory (we call it the "theory of gravity"). It can be demonstrably proven or disproven on your 101st attempt whether or not the ball will fall. That doesn't mean your theory becomes a fact - your theory will never be a fact, because it is trying to predict rather than observe. Predictions can never be facts.

The current "theory of evolution" (not quite the same as darwin's theory of evolution, but he wasn't so far off) has been able to accurately predict the results of experimentation for some time. It will surely either be revised or cast aside if new experimentation renders its predictive power useless. this is why it is being taught in schools. What can any alternative interpretation of the facts predict?

Quote:
Secondly, are you suggesting that interbreeding various livestock to achieve hardier varieties proves evolution? What a moron. If you want to prove evolution then explain how a fish became an ape, then became a human being. You can't can you. Can you assure me that if you breed two sparrows together 5 trillion times eventually you will get a giraffe? No? I guess your observable phenomenon just aren't there huh? Nice try. I think you are confusing adaption and animal husbandry with evolution. Don't feel bad. Most people who believe in evolution don't know the difference.
Creationists posit that there are no transitional fossils of apes into humans - when you show them the evidence though, they can't agree which fossils are ape and which are human. Looks like transitional fossils to me.

How about this: Would you defend the proposition that bacteria resistant to synthetic penicillins (and indeed, all hypothetical drug-resistant bacteria that may exist in the future to as of yet undiscovered drugs) were already in existence from the beginning of creation?
Old 09-22-2011, 07:03 PM
Planar Protector

Georgia is one of the more backwards places in the nation, in my opinion.
Old 09-22-2011, 07:04 PM
Planar Protector

I'm also surprised no one has mentioned that stupid Reba song.