Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Closed Thread

Old 12-30-2014, 03:55 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

i think that if you can farm enough and sell enough to buy new equipment then it would be ok but just being given items and tx of items between toons is a no. i think the spirit of the untwinking is that you have to earn the items your self either by questing or by killing and farming but no shortcuts
Old 12-30-2014, 03:57 PM
Planar Protector

ah i see. i think the bigger problem is cheap kunark weapons trump hard to get classic items. remember in classic how many people were dying to get a Electrum-Bladed Wakizashi? CoM random drops make classic gear look like rustys. I think a better theme to this idea is something I tried long ago in that you can only use classic era gear 1-50.
Old 12-30-2014, 04:35 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

i'm good with just classic gear.
Old 12-30-2014, 05:12 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pipkin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
i think that if you can farm enough and sell enough to buy new equipment then it would be ok but just being given items and tx of items between toons is a no. i think the spirit of the untwinking is that you have to earn the items your self either by questing or by killing and farming but no shortcuts

"The Untwinking" sounds like something the devs could sneakily do someday to purge the server of its glut of items and plat.

It would be quite the happening.
Old 12-30-2014, 06:30 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimjam [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
In this thread, twinking includes being given or purchasing items that you couldn't obtain yourself.

I think the OP is encouraging people to play in a way where they have to camp/quest their own items instead of just gathering up plat to get a decent weapon.
So the idea is that melees must be incredibly underpowered and utterly dependant on the kindness of casters who could trivially go off and solo for a far greater rate of XP gain? "Classic" (i.e. pre-Kunark) melee gear sucks balls. It sucked balls in 1999, it sucks balls today. Where's the fun in being the boat anchor slowing everybody else's progress to a crawl?

After the fun of the initial discovery stage I would probably have quit EQ in 1999 if I hadn't discovered my Paladin could upgrade his gear, first by smithing his own banded armor and then selling banded armor to others for the pp to buy better stuff (not that there was a whole lot to buy early on, "trade only" was the mantra until Hate stones became a platinum sink for high level chars.)

There's no doubt that this server is way overfarmed and the player economy suffers from the huge glut of gear. But I see zero attraction in replacing that mildly negative circumstance with the outright horror of trying to tank in a mix of leather and rawhide with a 6/26 weapon.
Old 12-30-2014, 06:37 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaev [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
So the idea is that melees must be incredibly underpowered and utterly dependant on the kindness of casters who could trivially go off and solo for a far greater rate of XP gain? "Classic" (i.e. pre-Kunark) melee gear sucks balls. It sucked balls in 1999, it sucks balls today. Where's the fun in being the boat anchor slowing everybody else's progress to a crawl?

After the fun of the initial discovery stage I would probably have quit EQ in 1999 if I hadn't discovered my Paladin could upgrade his gear, first by smithing his own banded armor and then selling banded armor to others for the pp to buy better stuff (not that there was a whole lot to buy early on, "trade only" was the mantra until Hate stones became a platinum sink for high level chars.)

There's no doubt that this server is way overfarmed and the player economy suffers from the huge glut of gear. But I see zero attraction in replacing that mildly negative circumstance with the outright horror of trying to tank in a mix of leather and rawhide with a 6/26 weapon.
Progress to what? p99 is about to become a finished project once Velious is released.

Players are just trying to figure out new ways to play in the sandbox. Untwinking is a neat idea.

But maybe your post has helped. "The Boat Anchors" would be a good name for a no-twinking guild.
Old 12-30-2014, 07:11 PM
Fire Giant

Like other have said its just a different way to level.

Most who want to try the no twink theme are not in a whole lot of rush to get to end game.

Ideally if this guild get reformed it would fundamentally just be a leveling guild. Their is a already a ton of raiding guilds here on p1999. Leveling guilds can be fun , this one will just be leveling at different pace then most who are rushing to end game.

Here are some of the rules we used to follow in EQ mac Vintage as an example.

1. Can only use or have cast on you gear/ spells from original game.
2. Original game content and zones are what you can play in. no traveling of any kind to kunark and or velious.
3. Cannot at any time be anonymous / role-play.
4. Iksar are allowed but must move and bound to original continents by level 5. all gear from kunark must be removed and or stored and not used.

5. You are in said guild to relieve original everquest in all its glory /slowness. no one is going to constantly police ing you as that is not why we are here to do. You are the one taking the choice to play this style of everquest .

6. at such a time as guild defeats Vox and Nagfen with these gear /spell limitation then Kunark content will be unlocked.

-------------------------------------------------------------
Nilbog:

" I'll keep making classic changes when I can, regardless if people threaten to quit. I'm here to recreate classic eq; not to make people happy."
Last edited by Buellen; 12-30-2014 at 07:31 PM..
Old 12-31-2014, 01:36 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaev [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Agreed, there is a big jump between classic and kunark gear, but in spite of my agreement you really don't have to get by with a 6/26 weapon though. Paladin, ranger and shadowknight all have tricks to keep aggro. With the number of monk/rogue twinks even when you twink with a decent weapon warriors will struggle to keep aggro unless someone is rooting.

What I'd do is start with my newbie weapon, try and look a rusty two hander and make it tarnished. I'd upgrade to an Axe, Bastard sword or claymore as soon as possible. At 10 if I fancied an adventure I'd pick up a bloodforge hammer before heading to kurns and trying for an iksar berserker club. Dual wield sucks until it hits maybe 70+ skill, however even when you fail to swing you can still proc (possible bug?). This means for off hand I'd grab something with a fun proc, probably a polished granite tomahawk. IIrc there are some fun proc weapons that drop off sarnaks in Loio too.

In my twenties I'd get a group together in SoldungA to try for some obsidian shards. In 30s you can perhaps deviate a little form the mission statement, make friends with a rogue epic farmer to 'help' kill some kith mobs and get a Scimitar of Ykesha. Early 40s pick up a green jade broadsword and Kunzar ku'juch in Com. Maybe a SSoY from gukbottom. Mid 40s help out a rogue epic farmer again for a Trochilic's Skean. If you have a druid friend your level you can pop into Rathe Mountains every 2 hours at level 30+ to get an axe of the slayers/mithril girth. Axe of the Slayers is great fun as a 30 war; even untwinked you'll be able to solo many dark blues.

Armour wise cloth is fine for the first 9 levels, patchwork will carry you to about 13, raw-hide or mesh will carry you to ringmail and bronze okay. Once you are 20 the crafted armour quests begin to start opening up. I completed my set by 30 just through xp groups or soloing. Also explore other zones to find armour upgrades.

Obviously not as 'effective' as farming bone chips in North Ro for the first 4 levels and simply buying the green jade broadsword for 100pp. However, doing it the untwink/no EC way forces you to do some quests, make friends and explore the world. Admittedly not for everyone, but searching for equipment across multiple zones as I levelled improved my game enjoyment compared to paying other people to have fun finding items and just finding them all in one zone at low level (EC).

I've levelled both a twink and an untwink/no ec warrior and monks/rogues can be twinked to generate way more aggro (which would be fine if they all worke Fungis) and regardless of my gear situation I was going to need root or for those melee dps to dump aggro occasionally. Before ykesha, the only thing I could ever find that would semi-reliably hold aggro against an epic rogue was a pair of obsidian shards and a pile of dexterity.
Last edited by Jimjam; 12-31-2014 at 01:42 AM..
Closed Thread