Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 06-19-2012, 09:16 AM
Sarnak

Default is wow the best MMORPG ever?

guys i am starting to think that WOW is the best and only MMORPG that will ever have a huge consistant player base.

i personally played it 1 - 60 and loved it, i quit after however because i couldnt be bothered going through the whole re gear after each expansion that i'd been through several times with EQ.

i know you are all going to start bagging WOW, but seriously, think about it.. it has so many players, it even has online dating websites for people aimed towards WoW players.

every time a new MMORPG comes out and fails people just say 'it copied wow too much' what if it isnt insanely possible to make an MMORPG that isn't virtual reality because it just copies wow all the time because bliz literally just made the best MMORPG ever?

think about it.
Old 06-19-2012, 09:25 AM
Sarnak

If it was the best MMO they wouldn't be doing everything in their power to draw the people who left back [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]. Free cataclysm, free level 80, free name change, free server Xfer etc etc.

It will take a long time... but it will eventually spiral into a lot smaller playerbase. Plus they are working on a new MMO but not a lot of info about it out there atm.

EDIT: I do agree though WoW 1-60 was darn good... even TBC was actually really neat... Wotlk was when things turned sour for me.
Last edited by Urbanzkopf; 06-19-2012 at 09:30 AM..
Old 06-19-2012, 09:37 AM
Planar Protector

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-TiYRBSkK0

Watch that just to be sure.
Old 06-19-2012, 09:38 AM
Planar Protector

Also, Death Knights killed PvP...whatever that grab move was, they didn't think it through. Turned large scale PvP into a joke for all the melee classes.

Then making the Kung Fu Panda expansion - there's no coming back from that.
Old 06-19-2012, 09:43 AM
Kobold

in my opinion no wow isn't the best mmo. It just came around at the right time and utilized the casual gamers. It was a whole different style than i like to play.
Old 06-19-2012, 10:00 AM
Banned

eq1 definately the best mmo overall however wow vanilla had some of the best world pvp I've ever seen. city raids, huge battles at windmills, rip vanilla wow.
Old 06-19-2012, 10:00 AM
Banned

WoW was EverQuest For Dummies, which as it turns out, there are a lot of. You will never go broke appealing to the lowest common denominator.
Old 06-19-2012, 10:16 AM
Planar Protector

EQ1 and Shadowbane for sure
Old 06-19-2012, 10:26 AM
Sarnak

Depends on how you define best. It's going to mean different things to different people, obviously, but if you're looking at it globally, then you the only real objective thing you can look at is it's success. That would obviously make it high up there as one of the best. I've heard that some Asian MMOs have crazy amounts of subscribers too, but I don't know if they compare to WoW or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilbog View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruman View Post
Leapfrogging is a dick move. It's not about "rules" or "ZOMG IT HAPPENED ON MY SERVER ITS FAIR".
Truth.
Old 06-19-2012, 10:56 AM
Planar Protector

Overall I think maybe yeah it was the best. EQ could have had the crown but for a few shortcomings: it didn't incorporate PvP into it's overall gameplay (just having PvP-enabled servers is not the same), and the lack of instancing meant the game became a campfest. You get home from work or school and want to play for a bit and every single dungeon in your level range is camped to hell and back. Ugh.

EQ is a serious close 2nd though, because of it's graphics and art style, 1st person gameplay and faction system (which no game so far has managed to duplicate). I think EQ has better graphics than WoW. Not only are they not cartoony, but they pull off illusion better than any other MMO I've played. Go to gfay or kithicor or feerroot and notice how they cleverly use colored fog and large tree trunks with no tops to give an illusion of density and size. Toxx has a sickly yellowish fog that makes it an unpleasant zone. Verant were masters at these illusions IMO.

EQ still had those two great faults though. If they could have incorporated PvP into the overall game (city vs city or teams vs teams or something similar, like WoW and DAOC did) and solved the camping issue it would easily be #1.

(I think EQ without PvP is silly, even when I first played it over a decade ago. If dark elves and high elves, dwarves and ogres, erudite necros and erudite paladins are mortal enemies, why are they regularly adventuring with each other in game like best friends?)
Last edited by MrSparkle001; 06-19-2012 at 11:01 AM..
Closed Thread