Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 08-26-2010, 11:56 AM
Kobold

Default D&D

who played/plays Dungeons and Dragons. what was your favorite edition, class. where you a player or DM, if you where DM did you follow the DM guide word for word or make up your own rules?
Old 08-26-2010, 12:13 PM
Planar Protector

/nerd on

It's all about AD&D 2nd Edition.

Fuck d20 wotc fags.

/nerd off
Old 08-26-2010, 12:23 PM
Kobold

the first time i played was with 2nd ed. the AC confused the hell out of me. once 3rd came out it was alot easyer, played that all the way through. 4th ed i'm not too sure about.
Old 08-26-2010, 12:44 PM
Kobold

I agree with Hasbin about 2nd edition being awesome, but mostly for nostalgic reasons. Personally, I think 3.5E was the best ruleset and it is what I play maybe once a year or so when the old crew gets together. Once we started playing with a grid map and were able to obide by all the movement rules, DnD really took on a strategic feel.

Even before we played with a grid map, we followed the rulebook to the letter. Part of the fun of doing this was making compelling arguements to the DM about how the rules were written. We would sometimes spend an hour argueing about how one sentence was written in the PHB or DMG. The DM was always the last word on a ruling, but he would be willing to hear out your side before he made a decision.

I have played all core classes, but a wizard generalist is my favorite. A well played wizard can do things in DnD that will surprise not only the players, but the DM, too. Having a complete arcane spell list to pick from allows you to affect the game world in ways no other class can.
Last edited by Rhalous; 08-26-2010 at 02:21 PM..
Old 08-26-2010, 12:53 PM
Aviak

Got my start in AD&D 2nd ed. Played with 3/3.5, I still have all my 2nd and 3rd ed books. I also have a 1st ed DND monter manual written and illustrated by Gary Gygax (RIP)
Old 08-26-2010, 01:01 PM
Kobold

i mostly always played a monk, tho last time i played i was a dwarven cleric who ended up with a pet mountain goat cause it saved it's life from our group necromancer. we never bothered with the grid map. what was the highest level you ever got a character to, starting from level 1?
Old 08-26-2010, 01:03 PM
Fire Giant

DMing a game of Everquest RPG (D20 based) on Friday night [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Regards,
Mg

OMNI Officer (Retired from EQ)
Check out my P99 Hunting Guide!
Old 08-26-2010, 01:11 PM
Kobold

Late to the party but starting to work my way back through the 3.5 stuff. Wish I'd started sooner, but better late than never.

MMO's have barely scratched the surface of what the D&D universe has to offer.
Old 08-26-2010, 02:04 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasbinbad [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
/nerd on

It's all about AD&D 2nd Edition.

Fuck d20 wotc fags.

/nerd off
I think its like textbooks. The market is flooded, so you put out a new edition so people will have to purchase new books.

That being said, I played 2nd edition back in middle and high school, and I remember looking at the 3rd edition long after I stopped playing, and it looked retarded. Full-retard retarded.
Old 08-26-2010, 02:06 PM
Sarnak

Played/DMed all editions. I am usually the DM. Currently running a weekly 4e campaign going through my personal conversions of the 1st edition ToEE/Against the Giants/Queen of the Demonweb pits campaign arcs.

With prior editions I would leverage house rules a bit. So far with 4e haven't really needed to house rule much. Of course, playing via Fantasy Grounds with all participants remote, it tends to be easier to stick to the rules as written.

Favorite edition? The jury is still out on that. I have fond memories of 1st edition, and certainly have a strong liking for 1st edition modules. However, 2nd edition provided a strong cleanup to the game, and 3.5 edition allowed for some extremely interesting and custom character builds. 4e has a much stronger tactical aspect and provides more balanced parties and easier prep, which I like as a DM.