Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 11-16-2009, 08:16 PM
Sarnak

I do think that it is a little rough on melee's especially early on, but I am sticking with my monk as my grouping character just on the hope that he turns into a dps machine down the road. I mean sure my mage can solo reds or stream pull blues and whites at nine, but I'm sure it will get old.

Look at it this way...it's pretty goddamn fun and actually makes it more of a challenge because you have to relearn / change strategies in some situations. The best thing about the orig was the sandbox effect and learning and creating new strategies inside the environment selected.

So this sandbox is slightly different sized...are you going to rebuild the box or re-arrange the castle?
Old 11-17-2009, 12:37 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by messiah_b [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I do think that it is a little rough on melee's especially early on, but I am sticking with my monk as my grouping character just on the hope that he turns into a dps machine down the road. I mean sure my mage can solo reds or stream pull blues and whites at nine, but I'm sure it will get old.

Look at it this way...it's pretty goddamn fun and actually makes it more of a challenge because you have to relearn / change strategies in some situations. The best thing about the orig was the sandbox effect and learning and creating new strategies inside the environment selected.

So this sandbox is slightly different sized...are you going to rebuild the box or re-arrange the castle?
Mages are too good. I think that's broke. It's the elephant in the room. HOWEVER, if you have another melee in the group the pet can't keep taunt away from them. Who's going to heal the melee?

Monks have hte highest dual wield % in the game and the best 1 handers. They also have that nice kick ability [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Plus, you get good naked defense/offense ability (yer supposed to).

http://www.cs.hmc.edu/~jhsu/everquest/eq.html
Quote:
But what was it that allowed Talorien to win? Was it the rules of the contest? No armor allowed, and only a fine steel weapon in your hands? Obviously these rules are extremely biased towards Monks. They have the highest Defense skill caps of any class, in addition to have an innate AC bonus for being a Monk. Naked, a Monk has a greater proportion of his armored AC than any other class, and their AC's are among the highest in Norrath, ranking even with Warriors (full suits of Cobalt have yet to be compared). Additionally, their 1H blunt skills have the highest cap in Norrath, ending at a respectable 240 before level 50. The last thing that clinched it was Talorien was level 48, the highest level allowed in his level 40-48 bracket. Clearly victory was his alone as the sole level 48 Monk participating.

But was it the rules that allowed him victory? Or does the spectre class imbalance raise itself again? A few days before the Test of Steel (even before the Robe of the Lost Circle was upgraded), Talorien tested the waters by dueling various level 50+ Warriors while on a Plane of Hate run. The results are suprising. Against a level 53 Warrior named "Blanky", dressed in a suit of Cobalt, Indicolite, and some Crafted (I have not been able to contact him and ask how much), wielding a Jasarth Trident and a Springwood Club, Talorien won three out of three times, two of which with 3 bars of life remaining. At level 47. Obviously, something is quite wrong, for Blanky can hardly be considered poorly equipped.

Verant has always said that PvP prowess was no indication of class balance, in addition, there is group usefulness, and solo'ing ability. But the point remains, is this really fair? Warriors may claim to be the "tanks par excellance", but the claim is far from proven with comparable hybrid AC and hit points, in addition to superior Monk AC. Monks may claim partial titles in all three applications, being indespensible within certain zones or runs, in addition to being extremely able to solo. The verdict lies in Verant's court now that the results are out.
Last edited by stormlord; 11-17-2009 at 12:46 AM..
Old 11-17-2009, 02:27 AM
Fire Giant

What are you trying to say stormlord? You post just shows how good monks were, but weren't you saying in earlier posts that monks were bad tanks?

Mugatoo <Center For Ants>
45 Iksar Monk

"You can all go to hell, I'm going to Texas."
Old 11-17-2009, 06:27 AM
Kobold

I remember monks soloing to 50 and then 60 back in the day. With ease.

Currently, melee are going to struggle, unless insanely geared to solo at all.

I've been tracking it, and today at level 11, a mob missed me for the first time. Seriously. That was the first time I've seen a miss. Every swing by a mob is a hit or a rare dodge while I have a normal success rate.

I think the devs have finally acknowledged the AC bug (or the overpowered attack of every mob in the game), but it's the most important fix out there. It's not much fun outside of groups right now for melees.

Also, yes, casters are vastly overpowered. But, that is in keeping with classic EQ as I recall. For many years casters were well ahead of melee. But, other classes, including melee, could legitimately solo, if not as fast as casters. Currently, we really can't.

Probably changes some at high level, but this wasn't how it was at low level or any other level. Nothing has ever always hit every melee class. Played some others to try it. Every swing hit or the occasional dodge. I've seen one miss.

It really needs to be the top priority fix. Or you're gonna see a very unhealthy class balance on the server. You see one already.
Old 11-17-2009, 06:32 AM
Banned

I remember soloing on my monk to 50. While leveling up I sticked to blues/whites and dodged/blocked probably 1 out of 3 attacks against me from lower levels up to about mid 30s or so. Something is definitely broken here with AC or mob attack power, which is why I play a caster.
Old 11-17-2009, 06:37 AM
Orc

I played a warrior way back then and I dont remember ever being able to successfully solo anything really. Maybe a really low blue con then bandaging back up to half health but even that was pretty risky. I would really like to play a warrior again and probably still will, but first it looks like i'll need a different toon to get him better equipped.
Old 11-17-2009, 07:40 AM
Planar Protector

I'm lvl 2 now. Playing a bard. I don't know what some of you're talking about. Mobs have missed me. They don't hit max dmg everytime. Some mobs are tougher than others (beetles are tougher). I'm getting better at killing them though. So far it has been fine. My only complaints are that the client is nothing at all like classic - has a map window, has compass, functions like the current client in 2009.

Just play. Be. Be the arrow. Be the character. Act like you know nothing else. It's fun if you do that.

I learned new things about qeynos today that I never knew. Always amazes me that a place I've been to so much still holds so many secrets. I cannot fathom how much work all these scripts/quests/items/etc must involve.

I hope that this melee problem or whatever it's can be fixed. I wish you good groups in the lands of norrath.
Last edited by stormlord; 11-17-2009 at 08:09 AM..
Old 11-17-2009, 10:26 AM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormlord [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I'm lvl 2 now. Playing a bard. I don't know what some of you're talking about. Mobs have missed me. They don't hit max dmg everytime. Some mobs are tougher than others (beetles are tougher). I'm getting better at killing them though. So far it has been fine. My only complaints are that the client is nothing at all like classic - has a map window, has compass, functions like the current client in 2009.

Just play. Be. Be the arrow. Be the character. Act like you know nothing else. It's fun if you do that.

I learned new things about qeynos today that I never knew. Always amazes me that a place I've been to so much still holds so many secrets. I cannot fathom how much work all these scripts/quests/items/etc must involve.

I hope that this melee problem or whatever it's can be fixed. I wish you good groups in the lands of norrath.
Keep playing mate. Level 2 doesn't exactly take a lengthy amount of time to achieve. You might want to base your opinions on a longer survey time.

You can download different UI's (search here on forums) to achieve a more classic-esque feel. Although you won't be able to get rid of the maps, they are at least only present in zones adjacent to cities.
Old 11-17-2009, 10:41 AM
Orc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villert [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Although you won't be able to get rid of the maps, they are at least only present in zones adjacent to cities.
Really? I don't even have the BBM map. I had EC, but no NRo map. Seems wierd.
Old 11-17-2009, 02:36 PM
Large Bat

When melees do get fixed, can I get some of my experience back for all the times I died on CRs because I couldn't solo blue adds?
Closed Thread