Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 06-01-2010, 03:48 PM
Kobold

No trying to defend BP or anything. Last I heard BP has employed the fishermen to lay booms, so they aren't out of work. Sure they aren't fishing but they are getting a paycheck.

Also, stop spreading misinformation. Officials are asking people to STOP sending hair clippings:

http://fieldnotes.msnbc.msn.com/_new...fficials-plead

edit: fixed link
Old 06-01-2010, 03:54 PM
Kobold

Same thing happened 30 years ago, off shore platform in gulf leaked 30,000 barrels/day for 9 months. It doesn't take 50 years to clean up
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GHmhxpQEGPo
Old 06-01-2010, 03:54 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taxi [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I just read BP lost 67 billion dollars in six weeks, shares dropped 15% over the weekend, im not an economist but i hope some rich pricks are losing bucketloads of money over this. Its all they understand.
What about the not so rich pricks that work for them?
Old 06-01-2010, 04:10 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toony [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
It is unfortunate but it's the price of doing business.

What about the folks who lost jobs in the auto industry?

What about the folks who loose their jobs when a mine run dry?

Shit happens, there will be some good folks who will get impacted and though that sucks, that's life.

My ride
Old 06-01-2010, 04:30 PM
Aviak

Ugh. Those of you ready to burn BP at the stake are ridiculous. Please do some research into the company, their past and their plans for the future before starting your witch hunt.

Likewise, please stop believing everything the media tells you, specifically;

- BP is bad because they're rich.
- BP isn't paying for clean up.
- BP isn't cleaning up.
- BP murders fisherman and eats seal babies.

Their boat got fucked up, and started spilling oil. They are paying for clean up and trying many, many different techniques with all different kinds of technology to resolve the situation. BP has put fisherman to work, as already noted, and has paid every legitimate lawsuit set against them (or is planning to), to the tune of millions and millions of dollars. BP also employs a huge amount of people, and is considered a 'Green' Company, for what it's worth.

This isn't the first time something like this has happened, and it certainly won't be the last. Such is the price of providing energy so we can continue living the type of lifestyle we've all grown accustomed to.

edit: The hair thing is actually pretty funny. Apparently BP is going under criminal investigation now, and CNBC is toting some type of giant ShamWow to soak up the oil.
Last edited by Villert; 06-01-2010 at 04:34 PM..
Old 06-01-2010, 04:30 PM
Fire Giant

Who cares about the little guy so long as those evil money grubbing corporations get theirs! I mean obviously someone has to be completely evil to work or an oil company to support their family.
Old 06-01-2010, 04:51 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villert [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
edit: The hair thing is actually pretty funny. Apparently BP is going under criminal investigation now, and CNBC is toting some type of giant ShamWow to soak up the oil.
http://www.YouTube.com/watch?v=UWRyj5cHIQA
Old 06-01-2010, 05:04 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

You can talk all day about how BP isn't so bad, but the fact that they knew LAST JUNE that the installation violated their own safety and design standards says it all to me: $$$$$$$$$

From the NY Times:

"The documents show that in March, after several weeks of problems on the rig, BP was struggling with a loss of “well control.” And as far back as 11 months ago, it was concerned about the well casing and the blowout preventer.

"On June 22, for example, BP engineers expressed concerns that the metal casing the company wanted to use might collapse under high pressure.

“This would certainly be a worst-case scenario,” Mark E. Hafle, a senior drilling engineer at BP, warned in an internal report. “However, I have seen it happen so know it can occur.”

"The company went ahead with the casing, but only after getting special permission from BP colleagues because it violated the company’s safety policies and design standards."

Full article: http://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/30/us/30rig.html
Old 06-02-2010, 12:03 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toony [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Maybe they can transit to an industry that doesnt lead humanity to collective suicide. Oh yeah im being dramatic!

Check out the temperature on this baby:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Venus
Old 06-02-2010, 09:52 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myth [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
No trying to defend BP or anything. Last I heard BP has employed the fishermen to lay booms, so they aren't out of work. Sure they aren't fishing but they are getting a paycheck.
They are also saying in the contract offered to these fishermen that talking to the media are grounds for employment termination. They also confiscated clothing soiled by dispersants as soon as some fishermen were admitted to hospital for being sick, BP's CEO affirming that its probably food poisoning.

Interesting TV news program all week long about the oil spill on:

http://www.democracynow.org/
Closed Thread