Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Rants and Flames

Closed Thread

Old 05-18-2017, 09:33 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulgiamatti [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
You can drop any one or two of those apostrophes and the word is still just as technically "correct".
Meaning if you were to drop the apostrophe in lieu of the subtracted letters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulgiamatti [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
contractions simply can't be used to abbreviate words in the past tense, because all you'd be doing is replacing one letter with an apostrophe.
Meaning for the sole purpose of shortening only the past tense component of that word. Obviously you can still abbreviate past tense words, e.g., "Dude, you totally got fo'c's'led.
Old 05-19-2017, 08:40 AM
Fire Giant

Cool

glad to see lotta dicsuction on how to properly conjugate acronyms now. i liek words too :3

past tense of "lol" though is "lol"

if people were going round saying liek "loot'd" or "camp'd", y'all'd've had an interesting observation that sorta make some sense, but they not and here you is arguing for a unintuitive conjugation that confusing because it fail to preserve the nature of the acronym.

how you think a normal person gonna pronounce "cced" if they never seen it? They might think it a acronym and ask, "what see-see-ee-dee stand for?" or they might say, "what is see-sed?" utilizing proper capitalization help a little if you say "CCed," but then they still gonna probably ask what "see-see" means 90% the time.

the " 'd" preserve the acronym while indicating something else, which everyone (even people it rustle) understand as indicating it already happened. it intuitive and that why it utilized.
Old 05-19-2017, 08:43 AM
Fire Giant

Unhappy

i meant to say,

"but they still gonna ask what see-sed mean 90% of the time."

my iPhone betray me :c it taken long time to train it to accept what I tell it, but it still ignore me sometime >.>
Old 05-19-2017, 09:33 AM
Orc

Quote:
Originally Posted by maskedmelonpai [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
past tense of "lol" though is "lol"
False. It's "l'dol"

Joking aside, can it not actually be whatever anyone wants it to be because its a acronym that as progressed into almost becoming a word of its own. There's really no standard definition on proper usage yet, other than it means "laugh out loud."

Kind of neat to be able to watch the evolution of a language in real time.
Old 05-19-2017, 09:39 AM
Planar Protector

Devolution.
Old 05-19-2017, 11:52 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Well, it's also still a contraction.
Now I'm nerding out and have discovered you can also call it a syncope, although "fo'c's'le" appears to be unique in that it involves apostrophes. The only other time words are compressed in similar fashion is when done as a poetic device, such as "over" becoming "o'er", "never" becoming "ne'er", etc., which is also referred to as syncope.
Old 05-19-2017, 12:09 PM
Planar Protector

Also, something that occurred to me is I never actually use acronyms as past tense verbs, such as "I CCed that mob", or "I LoLed at that" - I consciously avoid this by simply phrasing it differently. "i had to cc that mob", "that made me lol irl", etc.
Old 05-19-2017, 03:43 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecily [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Devolution.
God of Terror, very low dost thou bring us. Very low hast thou brought us.
Old 05-19-2017, 06:16 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecily [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Devolution.
I prefer to call it idiocratization.
Old 05-19-2017, 07:17 PM
Planar Protector

This guy came on a high horse from some relationship salvaging forum, that only takes threads seriously if they are properly punctualized or are in appropriate stanza