Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Rants and Flames

Closed Thread

Old 07-02-2010, 12:58 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halladar [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I'd never play a non-caster on this server. On this one I would only play:

Druid
Shaman
Mage
Necro

Clerics can solo, although it is painful and you have to pick your spots. Too much other heartache associated with them though. I could write you a very lengthy post about this one.

Wizards are a pita for a long time to level. Much easier with the 4 classes mentioned above. They definitely are worth it past 50, but I don't care to invest the time to level one here.

Only melee class I'd consider is monk. Actually I'd play one of those before a cleric or wizard. FD is a great utility. Let's you run around a lot of places.

Never got the hang of enchanters really. Too much stress for me in a group. I just didn't like it.
You didn't actually answer my question. You even said penalties don't make much difference, so why are you posting? Especially since you aren't even playing on here which is implied by your above post.

R&F here we commmmmmmmmmme

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uthgaard View Post
I have lots of neat tricks...
Old 07-02-2010, 01:03 PM
Planar Protector

I may have exaggerated a bit, but if your writing style seems normal to you, I suppose I would have had to use a sprinkle of hyperbole. Otherwise you wouldn't see what I was trying to point out. A period does not need to be followed by a carriage return every time.
Old 07-02-2010, 01:14 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeepBeep [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
You didn't actually answer my question. You even said penalties don't make much difference, so why are you posting? Especially since you aren't even playing on here which is implied by your above post.

R&F here we commmmmmmmmmme
Ok. I take it this was your question?

"So why are you complaining then?

Because I choose too.

Because I think this whole xp premise thing is flawed and unintelligent, I choose to criticize it.

Now I'll spell out why I would never play a non-caster here.

I do not like to be a level 45 warrior (or maybe a 45 cleric), who can't just decide to run to City of Mist on a whim. I mean I didn't play my alt necro up high enough to be able to afford cobalt legs (think that was the one with invis), and I haven't camped the ancient cyclops (cause I hate long ass camps) to get my jboots (didn't make it to Najena in time, guessing that is over now).

Insert Paladin where it says warrior in this one.

Or take a cleric. Great in groups. Got to spend a small fortune on cloudys and bloodstones, though. Interesting about that, you know clerics usually get the shaft in pickup groups on loot because you are on your ass the whole time? I mean the melees usually loot as soon as something is killed, and you have to stay on your ass to get enough mana to lay out just one more heal...

Unless you have a good group leader or knowledgeable considerate group members it is frustrating to play a cleric.

Not all classes in this game are created equal from a fun standpoint.

If you can't bind yourself and gate and not waste a ton of time, if you can't travel easily, you can't explore (still a lot in the game I haven't seen even in kunark/velious era), you can't do quests without help, or solo a griffin or a sand giant because you feel like it at level 50...

Then I don't want it.
Old 07-02-2010, 01:20 PM
Planar Protector

From what I gather you missed the following:

1) The point of this server

2) The point of this experience on said server

3) The incredible dislike by the community for the game you are describing as more to your liking

4) The type of community that exists on a PvE server

5) The source of this game and it's underlying stats for classes/races, and the combinations thereof.

XP Penalties are dumb, sure, but they were classic and present a challenge. IF you don't want that challenge, then obviously play the class and race of your choice that benefits you the most.

When the game was new it wasn't about "I need to run here to XP." No one knew what was up so everyone was exploring. The beauty of this game is in the fact that you can't magically get everywhere, you had to actually safely traverse entire continents to get to places of wonder. The game was made with a vision of a lore-driven universe.
Old 07-02-2010, 01:39 PM
Fire Giant

Hey look. P99 has recreated the classic experience.

People crying like little girls over how they feel the game should be.
Old 07-02-2010, 01:42 PM
Sarnak

Send a message via AIM to Ihealyou

Talking about recreating the classic experience isn't classic.

Uuur - Your favorite Master +1 cleric <LifeAlert>
Rockwell - Your favorite 30 virgin <Aspen and Rockwell>
Old 07-02-2010, 02:35 PM
Fire Giant

i like your new siggy uuur
Old 07-02-2010, 02:40 PM
Sarnak

Send a message via AIM to Ihealyou

It hurts my eyes tbh, but its totally worth it. The forums need more color imo.

Uuur - Your favorite Master +1 cleric <LifeAlert>
Rockwell - Your favorite 30 virgin <Aspen and Rockwell>
Old 07-02-2010, 02:47 PM
Planar Protector

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 07-02-2010, 03:17 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halladar [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Well explain it to me.

For example what purpose is served by giving halfings a 5% bonus?

What purpose is served by the sk class penalty?

I get the gist of this server. I just don't get why some think it is necessary.

For the record, I won't be playing here much. Might make an iksar, so hopefully I can play in some of the Kunark zones with a crowd the way it used to be.

Maybe not though.

But please explain things to me. Explain to me the mechanics of why these penalties are warranted in particular.

And why hybrids sucking up so much group xp is warranted. Why the need even exists for them to have to suck up so much group xp.

Think about it. You give them a penalty. This penalty pretty much only applies to one thing, the tank role in a group and warriors vs. sk/pals.

None of the hybrids, except the bard (at different times charm/swarm nerfed broken, etc) can hold a candle to any caster class at soloing (even the cleric).

So you give them a penalty. Then they level too slow, so you make it so they take more xp in a group.

And this all makes total sense.
Less enter key and more completed thoughts.