Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Rants and Flames

Closed Thread

Old 07-03-2010, 06:24 PM
Large Rat

I know that Nilbog is trying his best to keep this server exactly as he remembers it and since he played a paladin exp penalties were part of it. I have always disliked that the penalties were put in, but dealt with it since was part of classic.

However, there is no way that hell levels were a part of a group shared penalty. Groups did not level at the pace of the slowest person. My main problem with all of this is the hell level shared penalty.

I read that developer's letter and I don't see it say that hell levels are shared. I DO see it saying that hybrid penalties are shared. It seems to say that because an ogre sk has more exp total and has a penalty he gets a larger share, I DON'T see it saying that every group member gets the same percentage of their level per kill (which appears to be how it is currently coded). Hell levels were clearly noticeable because you didn't level as fast in a group as people around your level in the group.

My level 35 ogre sk now cannot possibly find a group ever as I turn every group I join into the worst group ever. My ranger alt might as well be deleted. I'm very frustrated because I wanted to play my character in groups and now I can't. Certainly the devs can understand my plight here.
Old 07-03-2010, 07:08 PM
Kobold

Astropunk... I feel you man. I've said multiple times hell levels were not penalized by group in classic and I'm almost to the point of assuming the devs that support this didn't actually level through a hell level in classic. I'm not trying to be rude, but if you're going to make such harsh changes that were classic, it would be nice to make an assumption decision based on experience.
Old 07-04-2010, 02:45 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haynar [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The classes that are at a disadvantage now, RNG, PAL, SK, for example ... will get more of my attention. So hopefully I can get things working better for those classes, so if they do want to solo, they can do it better.
Wha???? Wait. If this is sarcasm I'm sorry for being so dense. But, if what you are saying is true...

If thier ability/inability to solo right now is in line with classic, then "fixing" them to be able to solo is getting away from classic (which is the sole reason this problem exists in the first place). This does not make sense... or is that the whole point of the post... which would be sarcastic... ugh.. brain melt.
Old 07-04-2010, 02:57 PM
Aviak

Not to mention that if they were made capable of soloing, it would make them overpowered in groups.

Pretty much if you can solo well, you are useful in a group. The opposite isn't true, but that is. There used to be a lot of reticence to add a necro to a group, that I never understood. Those guys were great in groups.

(Note that SK's and to a lesser extent in this era Rangers can solo, but it is no where as easy as for a caster class sans clerics. And bards as always play under their own ruleset as far as that goes.)

(Well if Rangers get the fear animal spell in Kunark it will help, but I think that one was later.)
Old 07-04-2010, 03:03 PM
Aviak

Actually let me amend that. They can technically solo. Three or 4 backpacks of arrows and Mr. Ranger has the hill giant's plat.

Anyway I'm getting tired of this whole thing. So well I'm out of here.
Old 07-04-2010, 03:41 PM
Orc

Will I ever get a Erudite Paladin out of Toxx? Wow now I know what playing a hybrid feels like. The xp is slower than a slug in a snow storm. Definetly gonna put that twink on hold until I can maybe get a friend to PL me or just go buy a ton of CB belts and somehow find him a port to BB. But wait, why the hell do I wanna play a Erudite Paladin anyway? Lol.
Old 07-04-2010, 06:14 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halladar [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Actually let me amend that. They can technically solo. Three or 4 backpacks of arrows and Mr. Ranger has the hill giant's plat.

Anyway I'm getting tired of this whole thing. So well I'm out of here.

Rangers solo just fine without arrows. No, we are not quading like the druids but we do just fine. Sure, it is a bit slower than others but we do solo fine.
Old 07-04-2010, 06:28 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingturtle [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Right on. I honestly thought bards were just fancy enough that it had been decided they didn't need to AoE kite, ever. I'll go ahead and roll one, now.
BARDS CAN ALREADY AOE KITE. LEARN HOW TO PLAY.
Old 07-06-2010, 02:42 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oogmog [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I get what you're saying, however, in classic hell levels did exist ... Now, they really do not. The only way you can tell you're in a hell level is if you are soloing. I'm not trying to be rude, but did you actually level in a hell level on classic? Someone that was 45 would level much slower than someone in the same group at 43. Also, the dev post only speaks if class/race penalties and level of worth.. nothing about a group penalty for hell levels.
I'm not sure what you think a hell level is, but it sounds like you don't understand the mechanics involved. There is no "hell level penalty." Hell levels are levels where the last modifier in the "xp required to level up" function incremented. This happened at 30 35 40 45 and 51 52 53 twice at 54 55 56 57 58 twice at 59 and at 60. This just means that those levels take more xp to get through than most others.

If a level 43 human cleric was grouped with a level 45 troll sk, a ranger, 2 int casters and a dwarf rogue, all killing level 45 mobs, then he would level in about half the time as the level 45s would. He has much less xp that the other members of the party, and gets a lower share of the xp, BUT he needs MUCH less xp to level, so he does level faster.
Old 07-06-2010, 02:47 AM
Fire Giant

lol there were hell levels... I think 29 39 49 were brutal. 49 was hell, then the second half of 49 was worse. It existed.... and I even petitioned in 49 to ask bout it..

Oh yes there most definitely hell levels back in the day.
Closed Thread