Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 03-31-2010, 12:47 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yiblaan [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Thank Prexus I am not a math major
Math...?
Old 03-31-2010, 12:52 PM
Fire Giant

Send a message via AIM to Ferok

Quote:
Originally Posted by BornOfAshes [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
assuming that the database is MS SQL... I don't think it is though.

but yeah, you should be able to generate a logdump of the active players and then sort them like Ferok suggested above.

I for one would enjoy seeing the results of the queries, it's kind of neat to see trends
Most of my pseudo code I tried to write for MySQL (which is what I presume the DB is in) but it's possible I got something wrong here or there. They all look the same after a while.

Anyway, there's a way of doing it regardless of what database you use(okay, there's exceptions here.. but lets remain in the realm of possibility). Nothing discussed above is terribly database specific.
Old 04-01-2010, 10:15 AM
Planar Protector

Default : 0

Thanks for the feedback.

I wonder if the devs here have thought of this or did Verant or SOE ever consider it?

What could be the drawbacks of a fully functional implementation? (how could this hurt project1999)

How could it help?

And what is your assessment of the benefits and drawbacks of this? (Aye or Nay?)

Do you think this belongs in classic eq when it's obvious this was never offered in 1999?

I ask mostly questions here because I'm trying to ignite discussion not to become the focus of discussion [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Last edited by stormlord; 04-01-2010 at 10:27 AM..
Old 04-01-2010, 10:25 AM
Sarnak

WoW had a website that did this. It was an addon that just simply went through the game and did /who all 1-9 , 10-19, etc and recorded the information.

It's been so long, but if I remember correctly you couldn't go /anon in WoW, so when you had a few hundred people on a server doing this at all different times you were able to get a pretty solid count of what was on your server. Was useful information.
Old 04-01-2010, 10:49 AM
Aviak

I would love to see something like this implemented . I have been playing around with different classes and over the years have played most class pretty often and would like to start a class that is needed by the community. This would be a great tool in deciding that.
Old 04-02-2010, 01:33 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by grindle [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I would love to see something like this implemented . I have been playing around with different classes and over the years have played most class pretty often and would like to start a class that is needed by the community. This would be a great tool in deciding that.
As a general rule, clerics can't go wrong. I can't imagine a situation where they can't find a group. Although, it's more effective to have a full group (max exp bonus), as opposed to a small group. If there were 3 groups with 1 cleric each and 3 extra clerics, then those 3 clerics wouldn't be able to find a group. On the other hand, if the 3 groups broke up into 7 groups of 3 each then every cleric would have a group. So, if the server had too many clerics than they might not be able to easily find groups if those groups are min/maxing.

But every single class can reach saturation and be less valuable. So...

I agree.

Maybe it would be better only to report large deficits rather showing minor ones? Why do I say this? Because if you saw that clerics were 20% and 19% was optimal, then you might decide not to play that cleric. But that doesn't mean that that cleric isn't needed. A 1% different between the two is not significant. Also, the optimal % is just an estimate and isn't perfect. It's impossible to know perfectly what the class distribution should be. You might give players the wrong impression if you suggest to them what should and shouldn't be. Thus, maybe it's wiser to only show big deficits as opposed to the small ones that might be within the margin of uncertainty.
Last edited by stormlord; 04-02-2010 at 01:51 AM..
Old 04-02-2010, 04:24 PM
Sarnak

Actually, you'd be surprised. I played a cleric up to PoP era, and often had trouble finding a group. Probably not as often as many other classes, but often enough. I noticed the same with enchanters too. The only ones I ever saw that never (or extremely rarely) had a problem getting a group were tanks.

Every group needs a cleric (in that era, anyway), but no group needs two.