Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Red Community > Red Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 10-14-2011, 02:50 PM
Aviak

So a group of 4 wizards should be able to kill any one person instantly? Correct?
Old 10-14-2011, 02:53 PM
Planar Protector

fire/cold were too easy to resist on vztz imo. last box i just laughed at a wizard while he spammed ice comet till he ran oom. i had like 110 resist. never took any damage

ppl rarely stack cold resist in classic though, the only thing to get it for is ice comet. however.. wizards get FIRE nukes as well! omgz! if cold doesnt work, click the fire button..
Old 10-14-2011, 03:05 PM
Sarnak

Cold resist is underrated. Half the druid nukes are cold, shaman nukes are cold, the best pre-Kunark wizard nuke is cold, and the best wizard draught is cold. I'd stack cold resist over fire pre-Kunark where it's really only lava bolt and one half of the druid nuke combo that's fire. Regarding that, I'd rather fully resist Ice to avoid the -50FR debuff that'll make Starfire land hard. Both nukes are otherwise identical. Conflagration does 400 damage in PvP if it lands fully, so if a wizard has to use that spell due to my stacking cold resist, I'm happy with that. Cold resist is easier to stack than fire, too.
Old 10-14-2011, 03:23 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bockscar [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Who's talking about immune? My point is that 140-160 CR would make you survive three ice comets fairly frequently (if you even let the guy get three 6.30-sec nukes off), and then the wizard is OOM. If you believe that 170 CR made little difference and that resist rates for nukes aren't decent until 200+, it's your memory that should be questioned. 100-120ish is where you start frequently shaving off a significant portion of nuke damage, 150-170 is when nukes become pretty unreliable, and 200+ is practical immunity. I hate to be that guy, but do you actually have any kind of memory of classic PvP? Your statement suggests you don't. If it took 200 to be merely decently protected against nukes, clerics and magicians would be among the strongest endgame PvP classes.

That doesn't even make sense and is completely contrary to your own argument. Spells were harder to resist on VZTZ. I also didn't play on VZTZ for more than a few months.

I think its your memory that maybe jaded... I was pretty well known on RZ for a very long time, and yet no one recalls you ever in classic pvp and or what server did you play on?

Mages were garbage (there best nuke Bolt was easily LoS avoidable, clerics were actually very good and their nukes even tho mr based and resisted id say post 150 fairly often were not to be frowned upon)

Lets rehash some classic portions you may or may not be unfamiliar with...

Ice Comet (Class Wizard) - You used to be able to stand at the entrance to Dead Side Lower Guk (assist a target on someone) and literally cast and hit them in the safe hall drop below the bridge... I realise this has nothing to do with the resist arguement but I'll get to that, hang tight. Now by your own posts so far (easy to get 170mr on a warrior, easy to get 150cold/fire) you are basically telling the community you are a proponent of melee and casters are literally worthless in classic (minus the early rush to 50 and the short term wait for a few melee to gear up). When everyone (at least from RZs stand point) remembers the most devasting combo for almost a year was Enchanter/Wizard (but again from your stand point and all these unbuffed resists you are throwing out there, both are worthless) Badmartigan/Ilsen anyone?

Again your memory is jaded... Hardly anyone had resist jewlery for the first 6months (you would be lucky to have 1 Jacinth or Diamond Ring)and gems didnt drop like candy from planes (vz/tz memories) or from Dino as often as some may think. I know this because I was the 3rd Enchanter to 50 and one of the only high end JCers on RZ (Played Rigamortiz if you must know)

One part of your jaded memory is true (post Id say 150, you could/can resist the spell line, Fire line seemed much easier to resist than cold (given the fact IC has a small built in resist factor/and Temp Flux staff..) it wasnt resisted/partially resisted near as much.. It still had a strong impact.

So one last rehash, if we go off your theories (No one on the entire server should roll any caster whatsoever, because you will A) Get fully resisted on ALL your Spell lines post 120 or close to it where it means nothing.
B) Will only be able to live your glory for the first month of 50s and become worthless the rest of your EQ Career other than a Portbot/Healbot/Buffbot.)
Now lets sit back a second and think about that.

PS Im curious to know who you played (what server) and more of your "classic memories".

Again this isnt a pissing match, I just dont want to see someone who is a proponent of melee, try and throw casters out the window completely.
Last edited by Kringe; 10-14-2011 at 03:32 PM..
Old 10-14-2011, 03:30 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kringe [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I take myself way too seriously on a video game forum
Don't you ever have anything to say that isn't a 5 page essay over your memories of Rallos Zek and why you think X should be X? I'm starting to think this right here is 90% of your free-time, especially with how aggressively and vapidly you rage on about this stuff.
Old 10-14-2011, 03:35 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by God-King Abacab [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Don't you ever have anything to say that isn't a 5 page essay over your memories of Rallos Zek and why you think X should be X? I'm starting to think this right here is 90% of your free-time, especially with how aggressively and vapidly you rage on about this stuff.
Lets see..

Kringe
Orc

God-King Abacab
Kobold

Bockscar
Sarnak
Nothing to see here move along..
Last edited by Kringe; 10-14-2011 at 03:39 PM..
Old 10-14-2011, 03:40 PM
Fire Giant

Project99 is 99.5% talk and 0.5% in game action. People sit here and post shit all day and suck ass in game.
Old 10-14-2011, 03:43 PM
Fire Giant

I played a mage from velious to PoP. I must say, mages did very well. Once PoP came out, the resists skyrocketed and they became utterly useless until the level 80 expansion.

I just remember nukes landed always consistently, but they were partials. The partials were usually always on the higher half though. For instance, ice comet did 900ish? so the partial would still hit for 450+ most of the time.

That is pre-debuff status. Once you had flux staff, perhaps mala, few dispells, nukes landed very easily. The worst part was not having levi to fly over someone while u float down casting a 6 second nuke.
Old 10-14-2011, 03:49 PM
Aviak

@Kringe: some free advice... you should never, ever say anything like "I was pretty well known on RZ for a very long time." If you have to point out that you are famous and kind of a big deal, you are probably neither of those things. Brad Pitt doesn't have to walk into a room and be like "DO U KNOW WHO I AM???". He's just cool. Just be cool.
Old 10-14-2011, 04:10 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kringe [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I think its your memory that maybe jaded... I was pretty well known on RZ for a very long time, and yet no one recalls you ever in classic pvp and or what server did you play on?
(...)
PS Im curious to know who you played (what server) and more of your "classic memories".
I played on TZ as Eloran and Nebuchanezer, and on SZ as Hrothgar (SnP/Umbra) and Hodja (BP), but I'm euro so this mostly-US playerbase doesn't really know me. I was part of the danecrew, though not the RZ/VZ ones. "I'm so famous" is not a very compelling argument. If you have to pull that crap into the discussion, it makes people even less inclined to believe you're right.

Quote:
Now by your own posts so far (easy to get 170mr on a warrior, easy to get 150cold/fire) you are basically telling the community you are a proponent of melee and casters are literally worthless in classic (minus the early rush to 50 and the short term wait for a few melee to gear up).
(...)
One part of your jaded memory is true (post Id say 150, you could/can resist the spell line, Fire line seemed much easier to resist than cold (given the fact IC has a small built in resist factor/and Temp Flux staff..) it wasnt resisted/partially resisted near as much.. It still had a strong impact.
(...)
So one last rehash, if we go off your theories (No one on the entire server should roll any caster whatsoever, because you will A) Get fully resisted on ALL your Spell lines post 120 or close to it where it means nothing.
B) Will only be able to live your glory for the first month of 50s and become worthless the rest of your EQ Career other than a Portbot/Healbot/Buffbot.)
Establishing fabricated points to give yourself something to argue against isn't going to make you right. I've said that 170 MR or 150 FR/CR is possible, never easy, and generally not unbuffed. In fact, I've specifically pointed out that 150+ FR/CR usually requires buffs. I've simply pointed out the levels of resist that are possible to obtain, and disputed your argument that this or that spell isn't made much less useful even by those resists. I've never said anyone will "get fully resisted on ALL your spell lines post 120," that comes from your... jaded memory. I said: 100-120ish is where you start frequently shaving off a significant portion of nuke damage. Warping statements I made as recently as last page does not help your case.

I didn't bring my chosen class type into this (I haven't decided on one yet), so there's little point in trying to argue that I just want to win advantages for myself. If you want to get into that whole spiel (which, again, is completely irrelevant to the discussion) then it looks just as likely that you're doing the same. The only difference is that your claims are absurd.

Regardless of that, let's stick to what's actually relevant here. My argument is that resists become strong against nukes at 100-120ish, very strong at 150+, and make you nearly immune at 200+. Your argument, as far as I can tell, is that you need 150+ to even be able to resist nukes and 200 to be decently protected. I hope I'm not sounding smug when I say that anyone who actually knows their shit is aware of how far off the mark you are. By the way, all the normal wizard nukes have that -10 resist check. You're not impressing anyone by pointing out that Ice Comet has it.

If you're worried about casters becoming worthless, don't fret. As we both know, most people won't be running around with insanely high resists, and most caster classes have ways around it anyway. You are presumably not suggesting that wizards will still be casting Ice Comet in Kunark. The reason they were given lures was because high resists routinely countered wizards in PvP.

Quote:
When everyone (at least from RZs stand point) remembers the most devasting combo for almost a year was Enchanter/Wizard (but again from your stand point and all these unbuffed resists you are throwing out there, both are worthless) Badmartigan/Ilsen anyone?
(...)
Again your memory is jaded... Hardly anyone had resist jewlery for the first 6months (you would be lucky to have 1 Jacinth or Diamond Ring)and gems didnt drop like candy from planes (vz/tz memories) or from Dino as often as some may think. I know this because I was the 3rd Enchanter to 50 and one of the only high end JCers on RZ (Played Rigamortiz if you must know)
The two are likely connected. Most people didn't have great resists back then, you said it yourself. A lot of things will be different here, as they were on VZTZ and P99.

Quote:
Again this isnt a pissing match, I just dont want to see someone who is a proponent of melee, try and throw casters out the window completely.
Didn't you turn it into a pissing match when you brought in the whole "well I was this famous, how about you" nonsense? I'm just interested in the facts. You seem more concerned with being right regardless of whether or not what you're saying is correct.
Last edited by Bockscar; 10-14-2011 at 04:32 PM..
Closed Thread