Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 03-27-2015, 08:53 PM
Planar Protector

Its like spanish to me.i havent used it in 9 years. i can read it but damned if i can write it anymore

Tanrin,Rinat,Sprucewaynee
Old 03-27-2015, 08:54 PM
Planar Protector

If you fail on your journey there's always things like MUGEN AI [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 03-27-2015, 11:34 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utmost [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Have tried making a woman match your moves?
72 times over 20 years. have orders in atm for 2 more. Might do 4 this summer if I can swing it. Shows that is.

Would have to look at my stats to see how many actual 'paugs I've gotten.

Just looked...19.
Last edited by Weekapaug; 03-28-2015 at 12:26 AM..
Old 03-28-2015, 12:02 AM
Banned

You should look into Unity if you want to do game development.. I know nothing of modding however...

But Unity uses Javascript and C#

Unity is a really awesome tool!
Old 03-28-2015, 12:25 AM
Fire Giant

Awesome info, guys. Thank you so much.
Old 04-01-2015, 07:16 PM
Fire Giant

<--- Chattanooga State's newest enrollee.

Have to double check to make sure before I register, but it looks like Java is the pre-req for c/c++ so I'm taking that in May and the Cs in the fall. If I dig it I may think about one of the degree programs.

Thanks for all the advice, everybody. When I write my first virus I'll give you guys credit. ;p
Old 04-05-2015, 09:09 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uthgaard [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I'm not an advocate of memorizing shit and saying you've "learned" it. Just jump in, do it, and you'll memorize whatever was important. It's not that hard when you have a goal.
This. Schools are mostly good for learning the basics really slowly and maybe getting a piece of paper at the end. The best way to get started, IMO, is to look at other people's code. Find something you already have a general understanding of and try to figure out how it works.

EQEmu is a decent place to start. You know how things in EQ go. Hail a quest giver, say a magic word, turn in an item -- look for their script and see what that looks like in code. You know what can happen when a Mob takes a swing at you -- avoidance checks, invulnerability checks, damage rolls, procs, maybe death -- see if you can't find that in the C++ part (attack.cpp) and start making connections with what you already know as a player.

Understanding all the syntax and how everything works in detail isn't that important to start out. Once you get a general handle on how things flow together, you can start making inferences about what THIS line of code is doing and maybe making some little changes and seeing if they do what you expect in-game. Experimentation is key to learning anything in programming. Having a complete program to make little adjustments to -- and to see in action in-game -- can be a great way to learn things bit by bit and build up your confidence in your understanding of code. (I say this with plenty of bias: this is how I learned to code, with no prior experience -- although I did have the benefit of having way too much time on my hands.)

Specific languages don't really matter. Basically all of the widely used languages are gateways to each other these days -- they're all part of the "C family". If you can start to understand one, you already have a foothold in the rest.
Last edited by Zaela; 04-05-2015 at 09:12 PM..
Closed Thread