Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 03-15-2015, 11:00 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecily [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Hmm. You're playing ToME so you like tough roguelikes...

I'd say check out Elona. Get the Elona+ latest version from link on wiki off the JP site.
It has a twisted sense of humor, and IMO more content than EQ. I probably dropped 100 hours into it last year. Just know it's super grindy and punishing.

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

I like Elona but it gets pretty aimless. Like i would just to quests over and over for cash to buy museums and shit. I liked TOME when it was the Middle earth game. I still have it and i cant find it on the net anymore. The old TOME was wonderful. I played a few early versions of the new TOME and couldnt get into it.

But no roguelike beats ADOM. I love roguelikes so much. I tried Dreadmoor but its easy.... I bought a few games for "roguelike elements" but they arent as fleshed out. Most take the diablo approach to loot which is...meh.

I played star ocean 2 again last year...but i ruined it by maxxing my levels before the 2nd world. That game is super short without a grind. Replayability is good on it.

i have always heard the best wizardry is 8.

I got that might and magic x as well. But it runs like shit on my I7 with 16gb ram....

all you nerds should play the SSI goldbox games. Krynn series, the pools series, everything. Wonderful Ad&d games.

Oh also Ultima underworld 1...and just throw in all the ultimas except the last one. I never played online but i hear good things.

Also Neverwinter Nights. The campaigns suck but i lobe character builders as in depth as that.

Tanrin,Rinat,Sprucewaynee
Last edited by radditsu; 03-15-2015 at 11:15 AM..
Old 03-15-2015, 11:35 AM
Banned

Thx for suggestions

To be clear, im not partcularly looking for old games, in fact newer games with fun, deep mechanics is what id be more interested about, since i probably played most games people are going to suggest (Like Phantasy star 4)

Still some stuff i havent played with, thx for suggestions!

I picked up these 10 games yesterday in the dark dungeons of the interwebs:

Crusader Kings 2
Sunless sea
Fantasy wars
Darkest Dungeon
Age of wonders 3
Dragonshard
Endless Legend
Frozen Cortex
Hand of fate

Well see where that goes
Old 03-15-2015, 12:31 PM
Sarnak

if you liked faster than light try out there ( on android) its resource based but really enjoyable.

as for roguelikes I recommend nuclear throne and risk of rain( no really an rpg roguelike though), both are amazing and have insane replay-ability. Especially nuclear throne as its like a combo of an awesome rogue-like with the fighting system of hotline miami which was a great game.

if you want a decent co op survival roguelike, dont starve is pretty fun but I kinda got tired of it. I have never tried the co op though.

rogue legazy is amazing as well, and if you want a more obscure kind of roguelike you can also try teleglitch though I havent really gotten into that one yet.
Old 03-15-2015, 12:38 PM
Sarnak

Crusader Kings 2 is a good grand strategy game by Paradox interactive who has three other main franchises: Europa Universalis, Victoria, and Hearts of Iron. All four of their GSG franchises are fuck balls good.
Old 03-15-2015, 12:58 PM
Planar Protector

New stuff? the new Divinity game. Wasteland 2

Old 03-15-2015, 02:28 PM
Sarnak

Rogue Legacy was really fun. I was on a mad quest to unlock everything, and even trading off turns couch coop was really fun. However, once it was all unlocked...it pains me to admit that I haven't been able to muster any motivation to keep playing. 60-70 hours for the price is great though. Can't have it all I guess.
Old 03-15-2015, 05:08 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandalore93 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Crusader Kings 2 is a good grand strategy game by Paradox interactive who has three other main franchises: Europa Universalis, Victoria, and Hearts of Iron. All four of their GSG franchises are fuck balls good.
I just cant get into Crusader Kings 2. It just felt that a lot of the time i was waiting for my guy to die. And arranging marriages.

Old 03-15-2015, 08:21 PM
Planar Protector

Send a message via AIM to Knuckle

age of wonders had most excellent soundtrack...i played aow 1 and 2
Old 03-15-2015, 10:53 PM
Sarnak

Everyone should play this game. It's got a lot of RPG elements too it. Every playthrough can be very different and the maps always have tons to explore.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 123.jpg (47.5 KB, 83 views)
Old 03-15-2015, 11:14 PM
Planar Protector

Warsong was good yeah.

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Do they even make new turn-based RPGs? All the ones I know are old. My favorite turn-based RPG is an old SSI classic called Wizard's Crown, the forerunner of the famed gold box games. You need an emulator for it (I greatly prefer the Commodore 64 version) but it's pretty in-depth for a game that's 30 years old. Things like shields only block your front and left side, flails ignore shields, axes can break them, you can fall prone to help protect vs archers etc.

For newer games the only one I'm familiar with is Disciples 2, and it's not really new.

There's a lot of good turn-based strategy games out there though. Ever play Master Of Magic? So good. Oh and Master Of Monsters for the sega genesis (not the playstation). It's a very rare game that almost nobody knows but it's one of the platform's best.
Last edited by MrSparkle001; 03-15-2015 at 11:18 PM..
Closed Thread